Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Front license plate mounting holes?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NeilAgg is an unknown quantity at this point
Front license plate mounting holes?

Hello:

I have a 2004 Honda Civic Si.
I got pulled over and now I have to mount a front license plate since I don't have one.
There are no holes in the bumper.

I think some vehicles have threaded locations already in the bumper and you just have to drill holes in the front plastic to expose them. Does the Si have that or do I need to come up with some kind of mounting system myself?

Thanks,
Neil
Old 09-05-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Front license plate mounting holes?

Looks like there was a whole bracket to install.

Catalog link:
http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto/jsp/mws/prddisplay.jsp?inputstate=5&catcgry1=CIVIC&catcgry 2=2004&catcgry3=3DR+SI&catcgry4=KA5MT&catcgry5=BUM PERS

Note: there may be hardware that does not seem to come with replacement plate brackets. (Was always a problem getting these at my store.) Probably a pair of speednuts and shouldered bolts that hold it to the bottom of the bumper skin.

Talk to your dealer parts department, and talk to some techs that were there back when the cars were new.
Maybe they can come up with the correct hardware for you.

Or, just hold your plate up wherever it looks good and drive a pair of screws into the plastic and be done with it.
Old 09-05-2014
Registered!!

RIPSAW has a spectacular aura aboutRIPSAW has a spectacular aura about

There is a bracket that bolts on that the plate mounts too. Your car was probably sold in a state that only required the rear plate. I just put one on my grandsons' car. Got it from the dealer. He gave it to me no less. Maybe you will be that lucky.
Old 09-06-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe it's still in the trunk! Dig around.
Old 09-06-2014
Registered!!

NeilAgg is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by RIPSAW
There is a bracket that bolts on that the plate mounts too. Your car was probably sold in a state that only required the rear plate. I just put one on my grandsons' car. Got it from the dealer. He gave it to me no less. Maybe you will be that lucky.
I called the dealer and they said that I need to go there to order
the bracket and screws since they do not take orders on the phone.
It would be about $35. Once the parts come in, I have to go back and they will install it for free.

I also called OReilly and they have some universal brackets, but those just
screw in from front of the bumper. There is nothing to hold them in besides the plastic of the bumper. I am worried the plastic is going to be flimsy and not hold the screws.

What do you guys think?

Thanks,
Neil
Old 09-06-2014
Registered!!

bsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nice

Do you have a friend that works at a dealership? Maybe give them a call. Or visit another dealer, in person. Dealers have the front brackets. All dealers, all makes. Somebody will give you one or charge you very little for one.
Old 09-06-2014
Registered!!

RIPSAW has a spectacular aura aboutRIPSAW has a spectacular aura about

On my grandsons car, just under the edge of the painted bumper where the the air opening was two holes. The bracket attached there in two places. The plate bolted to the bracket only on the two holes further out on the bracket on the lower section. If it did not matter to you, the actual plastic bumper is plenty strong to hold 4 large self threading sheet metal bolt that come with a plate attachment at autozone or from a hardware store. My CRV is similar and did not have upper bolts and the plate fluttered. I put two bolt in and they were tight. Just run them up till they bottom. Do not overtighten and look up behind what you send them thru. 3/8 long should not hit anything. Think on your car it will hang down slightly unsupported on bottom however. That is mainly what the $35 plate is for.

Last edited by RIPSAW; 09-06-2014 at 10:39 AM.