Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Clunk when turning left

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thom786 is an unknown quantity at this point
Clunk when turning left

Hi,

I have a honda civic 2003 dx 4dr and when I make a sharp left turn I hear one clunk. It doesn't clunk every turn, it doesn't do it when I turn right. The clunk seems that the clunk come from the right.

My mechanic was able to constantly reproduce the clunk by turning left in circle but didn't find the problem. He check all the bushing and everything look good.

I looked on internet and maybe it's the strut mount bearing but I'm not sure. I would like to have your opinion.

Thanks in advance. I will try to record a video with the sound and post it.
Old 08-31-2014
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold
Re: Clunk when turning left

Strut mounts are a common issue with 7th gens. Clunking while going over bumps or turning can be due to a bad strut mount.
Old 08-31-2014
7th Gen Civic DIY Enthusiast!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Matt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the rough

I'd do another inspection and look closely at the lower control arm compliance bushings. It's the front bushing on the lower control arm. There's a chance it's torn and your mechanic missed it.
Old 09-01-2014
Registered!!

I will return to my mechanic and tell him to look specifically for the strut mount and the lower control arm compliance bushings.

Thank you guys for your help.
Old 09-02-2014
Registered!!

Redneck_cdn will become famous soon enough

While you have it at the shop,, have them inspect the lower front engine mount as they tend to go as well. Easy to spot, check the webbing on the rubber mount for breaks. May not cause a specific noise while turning but will allow the motor to move excessively while under load.
Old 09-02-2014
Registered!!

OneJzSupra is an unknown quantity at this point

Could be that a CV joint might be getting ready to die on you as well. I just had this issue were it would only make a clunk when turning right, after a CV joint change out all is well.

Matt, I'm guessing you aren't still in the service or you are close to retiring?
Old 09-02-2014
Registered!!

Thank you for the new idea to check.

Since there is multiple spot to check, is there a way I can check it myself or would I need some mechanical knowledge (which I don't really have...)?
Old 09-02-2014
Registered!!

OneJzSupra is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Thom786
Thank you for the new idea to check.

Since there is multiple spot to check, is there a way I can check it myself or would I need some mechanical knowledge (which I don't really have...)?
oh yeah, you could jack up your front end and take a pry bar to do a wiggle test on everything. For the CV joints you'll want to look at the condition of the cv joint boots and then rotate it back and forth to see if it has a lot of play in it.