Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2001 civic dx missing

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bluciv is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 2001 civic dx missing

I pulled the plugs and they are wet with fuel. I then checked for spark and it is sparking. I guess I need to line up tdc again and rerun the valves to verify tdc and adjustment.
Old 09-28-2014
Registered!!

ok in going back over everything I found this bolt. In looking at spark it doesn't seem strong. Whirling it over with the plug on the coil there isn't spark right away after a second or so. It seems to try and start but will not fire up. I haven't readjusted the valves. I can't see any tdc mark on the crank pulley? I thought there was supposed to be? In reading threads does this dx actually have immobilizer system I didn't think so. Am I wrong? Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender.jpg
Views:	437
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	87096  
Old 09-28-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bluciv
ok in going back over everything I found this bolt.

THAT looks important.

See if it matches this one:

Name:  SN852024.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  90.1 KB

In looking at spark it doesn't seem strong.
You measured this how?

Whirling it over with the plug on the coil there isn't spark right away after a second or so.
Wet plugs will not fire easily.
It seems to try and start but will not fire up.
....Why are the plugs wet?

Check this post again: https://www.civicforums.com/forums/p...22-post25.html
I can't see any tdc mark on the crank pulley? I thought there was supposed to be?
Yes there is. Timing marks and a TDC mark. The paint may be missing and they might be covered in rust, but the notches are still there.
In reading threads does this dx actually have immobilizer system I didn't think so.
Yes it does.
Old 09-28-2014
Registered!!

OK I put a scanner on it and I get p0335 crankshaft position sensor. I'll pull valve cover and check thanks. I'll also do some scraping on the pulley.
Old 09-28-2014

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

OK I put a scanner on it and I get p0335 crankshaft position sensor.
That answer makes more sense than wildly stabbing at random items in the dark.

I'll pull valve cover and check thanks.
That was a wild stab in the dark.

I'll also do some scraping on the pulley.
You may not need to now, if the P0335 is the answer to why it won't run.
Old 09-28-2014
Registered!!

Update. Great eye on bolt location. I finally found the mark on the crank pulley. Two marks about a half inch apart. I chalked up the lines and rotated crank so the mark was at the pointer. I was looking down at it. The cam isn't straight up though. The Up is off to the right looking at it from the gear. I'd say 2 cogs off?
Old 09-28-2014

Update. Great eye on bolt location.
I've only seen it happen here LOL, never done it myself.

I finally found the mark on the crank pulley.
Two marks about a half inch apart. I chalked up the lines and rotated crank so the mark was at the pointer
There's more than 2 marks.
There's a group of 3 marks (most have 3 anyway), and a single mark.
The group of 3 is for ignition timing spec (8* BTDC +/-2*) each of those is marked (6, 8, and 10). The center mark should have been red.

TDC (0*) is the single mark.

I was looking down at it. The cam isn't straight up though. The Up is off to the right looking at it from the gear. I'd say 2 cogs off?
The word UP is not a timing mark. It's only there to get you in the ballpark (cyl #1 is when UP is near the top, cyl #4 is when UP is near the bottom).

The actual cam gear timing marks are slashes on the edge of the gear, they align with the edges of the cylinder head casting.

How'd you get this far without a service manual?
Old 09-28-2014
Registered!!

I understand what you mean about the UP and the two marks lining up with the base of the head. I'll go and give the pulley another good look. I have the manual this timing mark on the pulley has just got me a little off. Thanks for your patience and support. Very much appreciated.
Old 09-28-2014
Registered!!

I guess I need my eyes checked. With thorough scraping I now see 3 marks with the tdc mark. Thanks EZone.
Old 09-28-2014

Maybe you'd like to borrow my glasses?

Old 09-29-2014
Registered!!

Update. She's running. I'm still getting that P0335 code though. I cleared it and it came back. I let it run about 20 minutes the fan was turning on and off the way it is supposed to. I took a little trip around the block and all seems good. Thanks for the support and feedback Ezone. I'm very thankful valves didn't get bent in initial start up. I did turn it over by hand several rotations before start up. I ended up loosening all valves up and resetting tdc and then readjusted valves to spec.
Old 09-30-2014

Look for evidence of corrosion on any of the terminals in the CKP sensor and its connector.
Old 10-04-2014
Registered!!

Man I've had more brainfart issues on this car already it just kills me. I didn't have the dang thing plugged in. I was looking at the piics and thought about plugging all the wires in and it just didn't seem right. The last plug I plugged in was a lot higher up on the motor. Sure enough the connector was hung up above on the firewall. She runs like a champ now. Thanks Ezone.

btw. Do you have any tips for noisy front passenger hub? The steering doesn't shake but the bearings must be dry and worn since it is so loud. Thanks again.

In registering the car it is actually an LX.

Last edited by bluciv; 10-04-2014 at 05:31 PM. Reason: mod
Old 10-04-2014

Man I've had more brainfart issues on this car already it just kills me. I didn't have the dang thing plugged in. I was looking at the piics and thought about plugging all the wires in and it just didn't seem right. The last plug I plugged in was a lot higher up on the motor. Sure enough the connector was hung up above on the firewall. She runs like a champ now. Thanks Ezone.
Cool beanz.

btw. Do you have any tips for noisy front passenger hub? The steering doesn't shake but the bearings must be dry and worn since it is so loud. Thanks again.
Time for a wheel bearing job?