Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

02 Civic Power Window Issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TheHondaGuy is an unknown quantity at this point
02 Civic Power Window Issues

Hello all, new member here. I've had my 02 Civic LX for about a year now and recently had some overheating issues during idling so I took it to the mechanic and he replaced the ECT Sensor and thermostat .. and also had my cam shaft seal replaced due to minor leaks ... rest assured the issue seems to be gone.

Problem is while at the shop my driver side window cable snapped so I'm looking at a $240 repair including parts and labor (Although I'll probably get a new regulator assembly and install it myself). I also just discovered that the rear left window is not working either.. I hear no sound when I press the switch up/down so seems like it's getting no power. I'm not quite sure what went wrong with the rear window and since this happened at the shop I'm not sure if I can hold my mechanic accountable for it .. looking for some opinions on whether it is possible for the mechanic to tamper with it based on the initial problems (seemed unlikely since he was working under the hood however I'm the skeptical type).

I'd really appreciate some tips on how to tackle this issue from all you vets! Thanks!
Old 08-22-2014
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light
Re: 02 Civic Power Window Issues

c o i n c i d e n c e

The regulator is easiest if.... you can get the window to move down to access bolts for glass mounting.

Leave key at II with door open and watch for flicker of dome when attempting rear window.
Old 08-22-2014
Registered!!

Redneck_cdn will become famous soon enough

X2 on purchase and install a new window regulator yourself for $80-$100.

I would suspect either the window motor or the door wiring harness for the failed rear window.

If you have access to a DVM (Meter) and the schematic you could verify the voltages going to the switch/motor on the door to see if you are getting the required voltages. Compare with a known working switch/motor to identify the failed component.

I have had wire break in the door rubber boot causing the window not to operate.
Old 08-22-2014
Registered!!

bsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nice

I did the regulator / motor assembly on both driver side windows. Cost me around $90 with shipping and tax. I bought mine from RockAuto. I watched some videos on youtube. It was easy...
Old 08-23-2014
Registered!!

TheHondaGuy is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the input guys. I will be ordering the regulator for the driver side window, RockAuto has great prices so thanks Bsmiley.

As for the rear window there isn't any flicker of the dome lights so I will be checking the motor and the voltage and update you all. Thanks for the help!