Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

bypass ac compressor

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
closetat is an unknown quantity at this point
bypass ac compressor

Hey guys I new to this forum and I am need of help I have a 04 civic si ep3 the compressor has locked up and I've read all over a d I special ordered a 50.5 belt a d there's no way that is fitting please help it's my only transportation
Old 08-20-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
closetat is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: A/C Bypass belt size

I am currently having same issue I got a 50.5 no way that is working I'm just going to play musical belts till I find one if you have found one please let me know closetat@gmail.com
Old 08-20-2014
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
drhawkinz has a spectacular aura aboutdrhawkinz has a spectacular aura about

you can take your old belt and cut small sections out of it until you find the right size, then measure it and find a belt that size.
Old 08-20-2014
*watches temp gauge like a hawkboss* :D

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
kinakoes2 is a glorious beacon of lightkinakoes2 is a glorious beacon of lightkinakoes2 is a glorious beacon of lightkinakoes2 is a glorious beacon of lightkinakoes2 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by drhawkinz
you can take your old belt and cut small sections out of it until you find the right size, then measure it and find a belt that size.
That's sounds like common sense when put like that... but have you tried to wrap a cut belt around the pulleys tight enough, by hand, so it resembles an uncut one in service? With the space you have in there?

If you do try it to ballpark the new belt... just make sure you have the vernier adjustment at the compressor all the way in, or at least at the halfway point -- otherwise when the new belt stretches a bit breaking in, there'll be less adjustment left to take up the slack and prevent squeaking.

-- take the old one and cut a section out of it, so the remaining belt covers both your pulleys ~3/4 of the way around. You don't need to cut it in two pieces to put it on your pulleys.

-- take a string and wrap around the belt-covered pulleys, measure when taut.

-- take that measurement to your selected brick-and-mortar parts store.

If you wrap the string around the bare pulleys, it's gonna be too short, by a long ways. Wrapping the old belt around the pulleys spaces the string out enough to get in the ballpark, which you can compensate with using your adjustment. Much easier than trying to hold the ends of a cut belt by hand to the right tension on the pulleys.
Old 08-20-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

See if you can get a pulley kit to eliminate the compressor. I know I saw a pic of a K engine with one bolted to it.

What's wrong with the compressor?
Fix the compressor?
Fix the pulley on the compressor?
Old 08-26-2014
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of
Re: bypass ac compressor

They make a belt for everything. Go down to the auto parts store and have them help you find a belt.