Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Mysterious front end click hard to find answeres

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i drive is an unknown quantity at this point
Mysterious front end click hard to find answeres

Hey Everyone,
I have a real dilemma, I have a 2000 civic (lowest end model 4 door) The car has 141k on it and I recently discovered a clicking noise when apply the brakes at very low speed. Pads and rotors are all new. I had the car on my buddys lift and this is what I found.

1. Axles seem to have been replaced at one time,
2. Theres a little play in both
3. boots look great
4. when I turn the wheels front to back or visa versa, I get a clicking noise where the axle goes into the transmission?
5. Trans fluid was a bit low but topped it off
6. everything else feels tight

SO i'M STUMPED! Does anyone know what it is and how serious...money is tight these days and I put a load of money into this car already..

I would appreciate any input you may have

Thanks
Old 08-19-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Mysterious front end click hard to find answeres

1. Axles seem to have been replaced at one time,
2. Theres a little play in both
3. boots look great
4. when I turn the wheels front to back or visa versa, I get a clicking noise where the axle goes into the transmission?
5. Trans fluid was a bit low but topped it off
6. everything else feels tight
#4 is from backlash in the differential gears, it's normal.

Put the car in neutral before braking, is the noise still there? If the noise is still there and the car is not in gear, then axles aren't the cause because they aren't under a load.

Loose bolts? Pad shims out of place? Loose lugnuts? Backing plate? Rock stuck in the brake somewhere?

Greased the caliper slide pins? (silicone grease)

I can't hear it so I'm throwing out some guesses here.

Single click noise at initial apply could simply be due to clearance between pad ear (end) and caliper bracket, the pad shifts a little bit in the direction the rotor is moving when you apply the brake.

Why do my brakes make a single "click" noise when I back out of a parking place and once again when I drive forward? A clearance between the brake caliper brackets and the ends of the brake pads allows for heat expansion and avoids corrosion between the caliper bracket and the brake pads. That clearance can cause the pads to hit the caliper brackets when you first apply the brakes in a new directions of travel. When you back up and apply the brakes and then drive forward and apply the brakes, the single "click" noise you hear is a normal characteristic of the brake system.

Link: http://automobiles.honda.com/information/frequently-asked-questions.aspx?Question=11

You can cut up a business card and wedge the pieces like shims between the pad ear and the caliper bracket to take up clearance as a test. If the noise is gone temporarily, you found the cause.

HTH
Old 08-20-2014
Registered!!

I just did your test. Moving forward and shifting to neutral and then breaking it DOES NOT click BUT It DOES click in reverse breaking from neutral. ?
Old 08-20-2014

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Got a recording? My laptop kinda really sucks for sound reproduction LOL

Is it a single click? Kinda loud pop, one time after changing direction then hitting the brakes?

Many of the cars will make brake pad click after changing directions.

The caliper clips on some of the cars are spring loaded and can allow the pads to click in reverse a lot more often than forward.

Many times the clearance is large enough to actually see a gap between the pad and bracket.
Make up some shims from a business card and try that idea to prove it if you think this description could be right..
Old 08-20-2014
Registered!!

It clicks when applying the break (or) when in revers when first applying throttle(when wheel is cut also). I really appreciate all your help, when I get home tonight I'm going to recheck the breaks and do the things you suggested. I'll get back to you in the a.m. lets keep out fingers crossed but that wouldn't account for the new clicking noise in the shifter linkage that just started? only when tapping the break?
Old 08-20-2014

but that wouldn't account for the new clicking noise in the shifter linkage that just started? only when tapping the break?
Auto trans?
Only clicks when the shifter is in park?
Shift interlock solenoid, been there since the day the car was built.
You just now started noticing it?
Old 08-21-2014
Registered!!

Okay everyone,

This is where I'm at, disassemble both front breaks, clean & re greased and reassembled. The noise is gone! I would have never known and certainly my mechanic had no clue. You guys saved me from being at the mercy of some mechanic charging me for guess work!!!

Thanks again.