Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Strange oil problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
quovadisbg is an unknown quantity at this point
Strange oil problem

Hello guys,
Recently I bought a 7th Gen Civic HB, 2004 CTDi modification. In the dealer's house everything was fine but then the problems started. After only 2km. the car started to overheat and it was hard to drive - only up to 1500rpm and there was no way to go above this RPM. Went to diagnostics and they told me that they have to start from scratch and to start changing all the parts from thermostat, water pump and so on. Then I went to a friend of mine who is repairing vehicles. He tested the thermostat and it was ok - opens and closes when it has to do, water pump is fine too, radiator is without leaks but water was disappearing. He didn't wanted to pen the engine but the clues were for head gasket. After opening we have changed the head gasket, abrade the gasket (it was not necessary but just to be sure), put new oil and the case had to be closed. I have driven maybe around 15 km. after getting the car and today I was about to go to my hometown which is 400Kms away from the city where I live in. As I am always doing before starting the car I checked all my fluids and there was the surprise - there was again no water, and my oil stick showed that my engine oil is 3 times more than the maximum The strange thing is that there are no white smokes from the exhaust, car runs pretty well but I am afraid now to even start it - without water and so much engine oil. There are no white bubbles too on the stick - which I find strange.

My question is - has somebody experienced this issue? And this is after such a short change of the head gasket which is really strange?!

Thank you in advance for your replies! (And I hope that is well written as I am not a native English speaker )
Old 08-19-2014
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
pjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Strange oil problem

Just to make sure what you are talking about, what is a CTDi modification? My guess is Compression Direct Injection which would mean it has been converted to a turbo diesel. If that is the case there aren't too many people here that can help you since the Civics in North America are gas.

From what you describe it sounds like the head gasket did not seat correctly and the coolant is mixing with the oil. That would explain the rise in the oil level but the oil should look like chocolate milk, but if it is a diesel it may be a darker color.
Old 08-19-2014
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

did you check to see if the head is warped?....this is common if it overheats

if you install a warped head on a new head gasket, you will end up with the same problem you had before
Old 08-20-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
quovadisbg is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello again.

Yes the car is Diesel modification and I knew that they are not so common in USA. Latest thing is: the oil is in okay - the level is fine (it was my mistake from the beginning) and it is not mixed with water at all. Last night I drove 150 km. to a town near the city I live in and the car lost about 1 liter water. It is not in the oil and there are no visible leaks from anywhere. The temperature during the whole trip was fine - before the middle point of the indicator. Now my guessing is for radiator or a hose from where the water disappears when it becomes hot... And it is in the garage already again...

P.S. The head is not warped at all - it was checked but not a single sign was there. And the gasket is put properly...
Old 08-20-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

If it's losing coolant without leaking to the ground, it may be losing it into the combustion chamber(s). Steam from the exhaust would be seen if the consumption is severe, but may not be noticed if consumption rate is slow.

If it isn't displacing liquid from the radiator to the reservoir while driving, and combustion gas leakage is not found in the cooling system (using my methods), then....

I might do an extended time cooling system pressure test, beginning with a hot engine...leave pressure on it overnight if necessary.

Next morning, pull the glow plugs (or injectors?) and see if liquid has entered any cylinders.