Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Got ripped off by mobile mechanic.

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
civicowner123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Got ripped off by mobile mechanic.

So like the title says. The man hot-wired my car, since I had ignition problems, so I could drive it off the lot it broke at and get it to my house. Well, after a month of trying to get this guy to change my ignition, he finally did, but forgot to redo what he did to my car.

The way he hot wired it was, he took a wire, and connected it to the starter, so all I had to do was power the car on, and then connect the wire to my battery terminal.

I have no clue as to how to fix this, and I searched all over the web, and can't find any solutions.

Please, let me know if you need more details. I will also post up pictures too.

Thanks!
Old 07-03-2014
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Got ripped off by mobile mechanic.

Originally Posted by civicowner123

The way he hot wired it was, he took a wire, and connected it to the starter, so all I had to do was power the car on, and then connect the wire to my battery terminal.
it sounds to me like all you need to do is remove the wire that he installed
Old 07-03-2014
*watches temp gauge like a hawkboss* :D

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
kinakoes2 is a glorious beacon of lightkinakoes2 is a glorious beacon of lightkinakoes2 is a glorious beacon of lightkinakoes2 is a glorious beacon of lightkinakoes2 is a glorious beacon of light

Disconnect the wire at the battery. Does it start?
Old 07-03-2014
Registered!!

I can try that for sure. I'll let you guys know.
Old 07-03-2014
Registered!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0089.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	86812No, that didn't work.

Here are some photos of what's going on.
It won't let me upload the last photo, but it's me holding the wire next to the battery terminal.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0090.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	86813   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0091.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	86814  

Last edited by civicowner123; 07-03-2014 at 02:24 PM.
Old 07-07-2014
Registered!!

Anyone have any ideas?
Old 07-07-2014
Super Moderator

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts
Poopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of light

Check all your fuses and make sure that wire isn't touching ANYTHING when you try to start your car.
Old 07-07-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Real shop with real technicians that really can fix cars?
Old 07-07-2014
Super Moderator

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts
Poopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of light

That
Old 07-08-2014
Registered!!

I rather try, and save money by working on my own car. I know I can do it myself.
Old 07-08-2014
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Poopies
Check all your fuses and make sure that wire isn't touching ANYTHING when you try to start your car.
I took the wire off, and tried to start the car. It didn't work. That wire is doing something to where the car is relying on it in order to turn the engine over.
Old 07-08-2014
Registered!!

mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

i think you need to explain a bit better, exactly where is this wire going to and from? is it connected all the time? or are you connecting it to start the car? when the car DOES START, are you using the key inside to start it?

you need to provide alot more information, we cant see anything from here
Old 07-08-2014
Registered!!

Originally Posted by mikey1
i think you need to explain a bit better, exactly where is this wire going to and from? is it connected all the time? or are you connecting it to start the car? when the car DOES START, are you using the key inside to start it?

you need to provide alot more information, we cant see anything from here
I'll post up more pics as soon as I can. This wire is connected to the starter I believe. I first turn the car on, so there is power, and then I open the hood, and take the wire, and touch it the the negative side of my battery terminal. I never disconnect it from the starter. The pics show that. When I touch the wire to the terminal the engine starts.

I can't start the car using only the keys. The keys just turn the power on in the car.

The red wire in the previous pics is the wire that I use to start my car with.

Last edited by civicowner123; 07-08-2014 at 10:47 AM. Reason: more info
Old 07-08-2014
Registered!!

Well, after a month of trying to get this guy to change my ignition, he finally did, but forgot to redo what he did to my car.
so this obviously didnt fix the problem? why did he do it then?
Old 07-08-2014

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

so this obviously didnt fix the problem? why did he do it then?
Because the craigslist hack obviously couldn't correctly diagnose or fix the car.

(I'm just assuming the hack was found on craigslist.)
Old 07-09-2014
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

What model is this anyhow ??

You touch the other end to GROUND side terminal to start ??

Edit: Sorry did not see the +symbol..... or one without a proper cover over it.

Last edited by CraigW; 07-11-2014 at 10:14 AM.
Old 07-09-2014

Old 07-10-2014
Registered!!

It's a 2004 honda civic lx. 5 speed. Well the ignition went bad and I couldn't turn my key to start my car. I was referred to him by my local autozone store. He hotwired the car so I could get it off the parking lot where it was stuck at and get it to my house.

Here are some more pics of what going on under the hood

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	86844  
Old 07-10-2014
Registered!!

Here is another pic. Sorry I got one more post with another pic. My phone is only letting me upload one photo per post

Views:	93
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	86845  
Old 07-10-2014
Registered!!

Here is another one

Views:	94
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	86846  
Old 07-10-2014

the ignition went bad and I couldn't turn my key to start my car.
So....Please explain exactly what was done to resolve this part of the problem.

I was referred to him by my local autozone store. He hotwired the car so I could get it off the parking lot where it was stuck at and get it to my house.
Old 07-10-2014
Registered!!

It's a 2004 honda civic lx. 5 speed. Well the ignition went bad and I couldn't turn my key to start my car. I was referred to him by my local autozone store. He hotwired the car so I could get it off the parking lot where it was stuck at and get it to my house.

Here are some more pics of what going on under the hood
in a previous post you said you touched the wire to the negative battery terminal to start the car, however in the picture it appears you are touching the wire to the positive terminal
Old 07-10-2014
Registered!!

bsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nice

Although the OP wants help, based on the ability demonstrated to describe the technical aspects of the problem and temporary solution, I suspect the best help that can be offered is this: Have your car towed to a reputable mechanic or dealership where it can be properly restored to operating condition.

BTW: The battery has two posts, one is negative, the other is positive. The red one with the plastic cover is positive. It may only be 12VDC but there is enough current to kill you. Don't play around with the battery connected... just saying.
Old 07-11-2014
Registered!!

Looking at my car again you guys are right. My mistake is brought on by the frustration of being ripped off and the stress of the whole situation. I feel as though this is a learning experience and would like to use it as so and begin the process of learning about my car instead if relying on mechanics fully. I'm going to slow down and take more notice of detail with my vehicle. I would appreciate as much advice as I can get.

Thanks again for the correction.

The ignition problem begin as soon as I couldn't turn my key. I drove to work with no worries and parked my car once I got there. When I got there I forgot something that I needed and so put my key in the ignition. I felt a little resistance when I did and once I tried to turn the car on the key wouldn't move at all.

If you need any more info please let me know

Thanks again
Old 07-11-2014

The ignition problem begin as soon as I couldn't turn my key. I drove to work with no worries and parked my car once I got there. When I got there I forgot something that I needed and so put my key in the ignition. I felt a little resistance when I did and once I tried to turn the car on the key wouldn't move at all.
Again:
Originally Posted by ezone
So....Please explain exactly what was done to resolve this part of the problem.
Old 07-11-2014
Registered!!

Looking at my car again you guys are right. My mistake is brought on by the frustration of being ripped off and the stress of the whole situation. I feel as though this is a learning experience and would like to use it as so and begin the process of learning about my car instead if relying on mechanics fully. I'm going to slow down and take more notice of detail with my vehicle. I would appreciate as much advice as I can get.

Thanks again for the correction.

If you need any more info please let me know

Thanks again
lets start with some common sense, the red wire in the picture should not be there, so start by removing it, then we can start the troubleshooting process......properly
Old 07-11-2014
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Again:
I got the ignition replaced

I got a new set of keys with it. The mechanic was able to do that, but he left in a hurry after. I now know why.

I got my car towed to honda, and they programmed to the new set.
Old 07-11-2014
Registered!!

lets start with some common sense, the red wire in the picture should not be there, so start by removing it, then we can start the troubleshooting process......properly
I did that already, what are you thinking I should do after that?

I was wondering if that wire actually connect to something in order for the engine to turn.
Old 07-11-2014
Registered!!

I did that already, what are you thinking I should do after that?

I was wondering if that wire actually connect to something in order for the engine to turn.
now describe in great detail exactly what happens when you try to start the engine, lights on dash, noises, etc etc
Old 07-11-2014

I got my car towed to honda, and they programmed to the new set.
Did the car start and run at that time?

How long were you able to drive it before the car broke down again?

Quick Reply: Got ripped off by mobile mechanic.