Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Trip odometer/radio presets randomly reset

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DB in Cbus is an unknown quantity at this point
Trip odometer/radio presets randomly reset

When things start going south...

On top of a few other electrical issues, my trip odometer and radio presets are occasionally resetting on start up. I got my battery replaced a month ago, and it has happened three times since. I'm assuming that it's related to the battery itself - anybody with experience on a fix? Is it a dud battery? I have no problems starting the car.
Old 05-04-2014
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Trip odometer/radio presets randomly reset

does the radio go into "lock mode" when it happens?

do you need to enter in your radio code?

this would indicate a temporary loss of power
Old 05-04-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Radio reset I can understand.....but I don't think I've ever seen a tripmeter reset by itself due to a power loss. Odd.
(If it's not an antitheft radio, it can't lock up.)

Check all the other wires attached to the battery terminals. There are more than just one. You may need to do some volt drop testing if you really want to test things.
Old 05-05-2014
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Radio reset I can understand.....but I don't think I've ever seen a tripmeter reset by itself due to a power loss. Odd.
(If it's not an antitheft radio, it can't lock up.)

Check all the other wires attached to the battery terminals. There are more than just one. You may need to do some volt drop testing if you really want to test things.
The radio does not lock. I'm thinking it might be the EMCU because the headlight beep no longer happens when I leave the lights on. I'm perplexed by it - checked all the fuses and they're fine.
Old 05-05-2014
SOHC Enthusiast

SeAmUs_MaCk will become famous soon enough

I would check all grounds to start with. Then check and make sure fuses aren't loose...replace the radio under dash, and the one under the hood for back up with new fuses. Pull out the radio, and check for loose/niched wires...may have been rubbing on something metal that will cause a short. If you know what your doing, I would take the instrument cluster out also, and check to make sure all pins are securely in there clips that connect to the cluster, and make sure everything looks nice and snug.

If that doesn't fix your problem, 1st get a printout, or manual that will tell you what each individual wire is so you know what to look for (pwr/grd/acc/ect.)

THEN your going to have to get an meter, and start check ground connections and proper voltage, and see if there is any interruption when you turn key to ACC

Thats real fun...Trust me
Old 05-05-2014
Registered!!

Originally Posted by SeAmUs_MaCk
I would check all grounds to start with. Then check and make sure fuses aren't loose...replace the radio under dash, and the one under the hood for back up with new fuses. Pull out the radio, and check for loose/niched wires...may have been rubbing on something metal that will cause a short. If you know what your doing, I would take the instrument cluster out also, and check to make sure all pins are securely in there clips that connect to the cluster, and make sure everything looks nice and snug.

If that doesn't fix your problem, 1st get a printout, or manual that will tell you what each individual wire is so you know what to look for (pwr/grd/acc/ect.)

THEN your going to have to get an meter, and start check ground connections and proper voltage, and see if there is any interruption when you turn key to ACC

Thats real fun...Trust me
Uf. Thanks for the info! This looks like a not-so-fun project for next weekend.
Old 05-10-2014
Registered!!

Update - I installed a radio myself last year and some of the electrical tape got loose from the wires in back and were rubbing against other wires. I assume that caused a short. My spedometer was occasionally bouncing too, and that seems to have stopped since retaping everything.