Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

RPM isn't right... VIDEOS INSIDE

Old 04-15-2014
Respect All, Fear No One

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ATMJDM01 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question RPM isn't right... VIDEOS INSIDE

Okay so a little back story. As another thread I had showed my Cluster self test. The needles are sitting wrong and just off from where they are supposed to be but I've come to get use to it and learned how to read it.

Now, I captured 2 videos today to show the speedometer and the RPM's. I'm not good at explaing but the problem lies where the RPM's just drags and dips when it shifts (I have an automatic 2001 Civic BTW) When I go WOT, it does a little better but still is VERY HESITANT. Any ideas how to fix this? would the valve adjustments and a new IACV help the issue? Will a brand new Cluster fix the needles which in turn help the issue?

I have had a test done at a shop where they hooked up a computer while we drove and the numbers were correct, it was just the cluster reading wrong....

Old 04-15-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: RPM isn't right... VIDEOS INSIDE

RPM slight drop but road speed is continues increasing, I'd expect that to be the TCC engaging. Looks about like what I'd expect, but I'd prefer to see how it drives firsthand, myself.

Your 2nd video does not appear to be WOT.
WOT means "Wide Open Throttle", gas pedal flat on the floor, shifting at redline, let 'er EAT!

Name:  XDumOeN.gif
Views: 6
Size:  17.3 KB
Old 04-15-2014
Respect All, Fear No One

Question Re: RPM isn't right... VIDEOS INSIDE

Originally Posted by ezone
RPM slight drop but road speed is continues increasing, I'd expect that to be the TCC engaging. Looks about like what I'd expect, but I'd prefer to see how it drives firsthand, myself.

Your 2nd video does not appear to be WOT.
WOT means "Wide Open Throttle", gas pedal flat on the floor, shifting at redline, let 'er EAT!

Okay so no WOT lmao...

So what is this TCC engaging? Is this another sensor?
Old 04-15-2014

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ATMJDM01

So what is this TCC engaging? Is this another sensor?
Not a sensor.
I assume what I noticed was normal operation.

-------------------------------

TCC stands for Torque Converter Clutch. Also called a 'lock up clutch'.

It changes the torque converter from a fluid coupling into a direct coupling via an internal clutch.

Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torque_...que_converters
Old 04-15-2014
Respect All, Fear No One

Oh okay. First person to tell me it looks normal lol. You don't see it acting weird at all? Lol makes me feel a little bit better for sure. Because I was going to buy a new iacv
Old 04-15-2014

Oh okay. First person to tell me it looks normal lol. You don't see it acting weird at all? Lol makes me feel a little bit better for sure.
Like I said, I'd want to see and drive it myself.....but I think it's normal.
RPM slight drop but road speed is continues increasing, I'd expect that to be the TCC engaging.
If the road speed had dropped at the same time the RPM dropped, that would have been an indication of a problem to me.

Your road speed kept increasing. Not a problem as far as I can tell.
Because I was going to buy a new iacv
No, an IAC and valve adjustment wouldn't change this.
Old 04-15-2014
Respect All, Fear No One

Like I said, I'd want to see and drive it myself.....but I think it's normal.

If the road speed had dropped at the same time the RPM dropped, that would have been an indication of a problem to me.

Your road speed kept increasing. Not a problem as far as I can tell.
No, an IAC and valve adjustment wouldn't change this.
Well that saves me money right there...

Yeah my speed won't really drop at all. It might hesitate a little because the rpms kinda do to shift at times but nothing other then that. One person told me my tranny was going bad but they was bs
Old 04-15-2014

Drive an identical car (that works right) the same way you did yours, and see if it does about the same as yours.
Old 04-15-2014
Respect All, Fear No One

Drive an identical car (that works right) the same way you did yours, and see if it does about the same as yours.
I'll have to find one at a car place lol
Old 04-15-2014

I'll have to find one at a car place lol
Used car lot? Ummm, try to pick one that has low miles and hasn't been mechanically trashed, and doesn't already have trans issues.

Same year as yours if possible, and if you have an EX then compare to another EX..
or if you have an LX......etc. you know.
Old 04-15-2014
Respect All, Fear No One

True true. I'll have to do that. Now what happens if it is different lol
Old 04-15-2014

True true. I'll have to do that. Now what happens if it is different lol
Don't tell the car lot theirs is broken! They'll blame it on you!
Old 04-15-2014
Respect All, Fear No One

Rofl of course not haha
Old 04-16-2014
Respect All, Fear No One

Exclamation Re: RPM isn't right... VIDEOS INSIDE

Update: So my close friend's cousin has a 01 Civic like mine but it's a DX (which I looked up after words and it's pretty much identical)

Anyway, I told my bro about the issue and asked if we can test his Cousin's car and see. Now I noticed not too much of a difference but the RPM wasn't dropping as much like mine does when going into the 40mph (like my videos show) So now I see besides my Cluster being off where the needles are supposed to be, it does drop more on mine.

http://www.hondapartssales.com/lisle...s=&view=normal

Looking at the link, #3 is the actual Cluster. I'm wondering since my car is throwing the right numbers when hooked to a computer, that just buying a new cluster will solve the issues with the needles and also this drop is RPM's that it keeps doing.

What are your thoughts ezone?
Old 04-16-2014
Respect All, Fear No One

Okay another little update, it actually ISN'T that too far off of a drop (rpm). Also had some help with others with Automatic's tell me mine actually looks almost normal besides the Cluster needles being off of course. So maybe I just need the new Cluster and all these little things will be fixed and stuff...
Old 04-16-2014

If you look up your own cluster in a catalog, it's preferable to do the lookup by entering your VIN. Most of the cars seem to have a shopping list of choices if you don't use the VIN.

Also, a new cluster will have the mileage at zero. If you want to correct the mileage, you'd have to send it to a speedo shop to have it set to match your current odometer reading.

Unless you want to go with one from a completely different car to mix-n-match for a different style or color.
Old 04-16-2014
Respect All, Fear No One

Nothing by VIN. Would have to be a new Cluster or a completely different style/color. I would assume only the 2002 and 2003 would be a plug and play with my 01 correct? I know the 04-05 models are slightly different when it comes to certain stuff like headlights, taillights, bumpers, ect.
Old 04-16-2014

There's a DIY thread somewhere around here that deals with modifying wiring to do a early/late cluster swap and make it work.

I think it's 01-02 are the same, then 03-05.

Link https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...faq-video.html

I usually deal with strictly stock at work.
Old 04-16-2014
Respect All, Fear No One

There's a DIY thread somewhere around here that deals with modifying wiring to do a early/late cluster swap and make it work.

I think it's 01-02 are the same, then 03-05.

Link https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...faq-video.html

I usually deal with strictly stock at work.
Yeah I don't mind keeping stock or just something that is plug and play. Don't want to re-wire anything. I might just wait for like Tax time and fork over for a brand new one at Honda (be easier keeping track of Odometer and also being NEW) lol