Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

CLUSTER HELP?!?! Video of Self-Test inside

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2014
Respect All, Fear No One

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ATMJDM01 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question CLUSTER HELP?!?! Video of Self-Test inside

Okay folks, need some Cluster help. It's been like this since I've owned the car.

Issues are that the Needles are just slightly off where they're SUPPOSED to be. When my speedometer shows I'm traveling 60mph, I'm actually going around 54mph. As for as the Cluster test, this will show you how the needles are off on the HEAT & FUEL gauge. Watch the FUEL, where you see it stop is what it shows when I have a full tank of gas.

Would simply buying a new Cluster fix this problem with mine???

Old 03-26-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: CLUSTER HELP?!?! Video of Self-Test inside

Looks like it fails the sweep test.

STEP 1: Battery reset. Disconnect both battery cables and touch them together for at least 5 minutes.
Then reconnect, start with positive cable first.

Start the engine, and check if gauges are right again. If good, do the idle relearn, unlock the radio, reset the drivers window if needed. Drive it..

If not good, do the sweep test again....if still no good, then probably toss a cluster at it..
Old 03-26-2014
Respect All, Fear No One

Originally Posted by ezone

STEP 1: Battery reset. Disconnect both battery cables and touch them together for at least 5 minutes.

Start the engine, and check if gauges are right again. If good, do the idle relearn, unlock the radio, reset the drivers window if needed. Drive it..

If not good, do the sweep test again....if still no good, then probably toss a cluster at it..
Okay so if the battery thing works, what do you mean when you say do the "idle relearn" and "reset drivers window"?
Old 03-26-2014
Kenny the Ricer

Kennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Just curious, what's the driver window reset?
For? and procedure?

Never heard of it prior to now.
Old 03-26-2014

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Losta stuff gets reset when you disconnect the battery. Idle program dumps. Radio locks if it's an anti-theft unit and presets may or may not be lost. Clock starts over at 1:00. The usual. Newer cars with more electronics have more stuff to reset. Windows, if need be. Sunroof, if need be. Some might need to learn HVAC. And more, depending on year/make/model.
Welcome to the future!

On the one-touch windows with auto down AND auto up, sometimes they lose memory when you disconnect the battery (or master switch, or motor). You have to relearn upper and lower position limits so it works right again.

Run the glass all the way down in the auto position and keep holding the switch down for 2 more seconds after the glass stops. Do the same for up, pull the switch all the way up and keep holding for 2 more seconds after it quits.
Then make sure it works.

Newer (much newer) cars sometimes have to have the window memory manually 'purged' before it can learn anew.

Idle learn procedure: Linky: https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...ml#post4420434
Old 03-26-2014
Respect All, Fear No One

Losta stuff gets reset when you disconnect the battery. Idle program dumps. Radio locks if it's an anti-theft unit and presets may or may not be lost. Clock starts over at 1:00. The usual. Newer cars with more electronics have more stuff to reset. Windows, if need be. Sunroof, if need be. Some might need to learn HVAC. And more, depending on year/make/model.
Welcome to the future!

On the one-touch windows with auto down AND auto up, sometimes they lose memory when you disconnect the battery (or master switch, or motor). You have to relearn upper and lower position limits so it works right again.

Run the glass all the way down in the auto position and keep holding the switch down for 2 more seconds after the glass stops. Do the same for up, pull the switch all the way up and keep holding for 2 more seconds after it quits.
Then make sure it works.

Newer (much newer) cars sometimes have to have the window memory manually 'purged' before it can learn anew.

Idle learn procedure: Linky: https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...ml#post4420434
Freaking awesome. I will go ahead and try this on my free time. Will post results after to see if the cluster works better. Thanks so much ezone.
Old 03-27-2014
Kenny the Ricer

Kennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the future!

Then make sure it works.

Ah yes, the new computer cars.
Luckily (or unluckily) for the 7G, there's only one auto....
And it's window down...only for the driver window lol
Old 03-27-2014

You know how many different cars I see, right? I can't remember what each version has unless I can see it in front of me.

And....I kinda copied the window thing from the service info without thinking.
Old 03-27-2014
Kenny the Ricer

Yeah, I know.

I just never heard about a window relearn procedure before...
Interesting.
And now I know
Old 03-28-2014
Respect All, Fear No One

Question Re: CLUSTER HELP?!?! Video of Self-Test inside

Hey ezone, what kind of idle relearn is this one?

unplug FI-ECU fuse for 20 seconds, put it back, start engine, hold engine at 3000 RPM for 3 minutes, then idle for 3 minutes.

Found that one on this board too, just wanted to know which was more effective because the link you gave me, it says DO NOT press the gas and all that.
Old 03-28-2014

Removing the fuse erases memory. You could disconnect the battery cable if you wish.

Holding it at 3000 is just to get it to operating temperature. It really doesn't matter how you get it to operating temperature though. On brand new cars I'd drive it on othe usual test drive THEN let it idle while I did paperwork.

The idling time period with no electrical loads is the important part. I've never heard 3 minutes though. I've always just let the cars idle while I go do something else, like eat lunch. Come back in maybe 10 minutes, it's done.
Occasionally if there is a time crunch ill plug my scanner in so I can have visual verification that the learn has completed, the second it is finished.
Old 03-28-2014
Respect All, Fear No One

Removing the fuse erases memory. You could disconnect the battery cable if you wish.

Holding it at 3000 is just to get it to operating temperature. It really doesn't matter how you get it to operating temperature though. On brand new cars I'd drive it on othe usual test drive THEN let it idle while I did paperwork.

The idling time period with no electrical loads is the important part. I've never heard 3 minutes though. I've always just let the cars idle while I go do something else, like eat lunch. Come back in maybe 10 minutes, it's done.
Occasionally if there is a time crunch ill plug my scanner in so I can have visual verification that the learn has completed, the second it is finished.
Gotcha, yeah I will follow the normal one you linked before. I appreciate your help.