Transmission Post your issues with Transmissions here! Transmission covers from Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles.

02 civic ex 3Rd gear grinds

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cnote4531 is an unknown quantity at this point
02 civic ex 3Rd gear grinds

I bought it a month ago with 97000 miles on it and am noticing it grinding when I shift from 2ND to 3Rd. I read about burnishing the synchronizer and other people say it will mess up the "forks". Others saychanging the tranny fluid will fix it, which I intend to do but it had been -20 degrees out here so I'm waiting for it to warm up. I just need some advice.
Old 01-14-2014
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of
Re: 02 civic ex 3Rd gear grinds

not a DIY article, not a 8/9th gen civic, so moved to 7th gen mechanical issues.
Old 01-14-2014
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

I would try changing the fluid first. It's easiest to do. Before doing that check to make sure the linkage is not getting caught up on something.
Old 01-14-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

If fluid change does nothing, and no issue with shifter and linkage, then it's an internal problem and the trans has to come out.

Plan on at least one gear and slider set.......and input shaft bearings, just because it's apart.