Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Hesitation & struggles up hill !

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Coldpizza is an unknown quantity at this point
Hesitation & struggles up hill !

So, I have been having a problem with my 2003 Honda Civic EX. The other day I was driving towards San Diego, the freeway has huge hills. I've noticed my car slowing down and barely even able to make it up the hills on that highway. I changed my spark plugs, my car was running alot better, but it was still having the hesitation, just not as bad. Also, my engine light has came up last night! So I believe the problem is imminent. My engine has been going on, then randomly will go off and etc. I'm starting to think it may be a sensor problem, but if you guys can recommend any suggestions I appreciate it!
Old 01-12-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Hesitation & struggles up hill !

Also, my engine light has came up last night!

if you guys can recommend any suggestions I appreciate it!
Start with this.
What is the code?
Old 01-17-2014
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Start with this.
What is the code?

Sorry i haven't been on in awhile, but i do not have a code. I am still lookin for a place to do a diagnostic for a fair price, but I was working on my car and I look at my fuel pump filter... and it was cracked!! So I replaced the fuel pump filter this morning, and it was running fine all day until later in the day. The hesitation became into violent jerks! Tomorrow i'm going to recheck all of my plugs on my fuel pump. If anyone has any suggestions please feel free to add in!
Old 01-17-2014

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

but i do not have a code.
If your 'check engine light' is on, there has to be a code.

EDIT: Don't parts stores there let you use their code reader to check your own codes (if they aren't allowed to check codes for you)?
and it was cracked!
Was it spewing gasoline?
Old 01-17-2014
Registered!!

If your 'check engine light' is on, there has to be a code.

EDIT: Don't parts stores there let you use their code reader to check your own codes (if they aren't allowed to check codes for you)?
Was it spewing gasoline?
Okay, well i have to go check, but from what i hear Autozone does not use code readers, but I will ask, Okay so i checked my fuel filter pump, and i am guessing the filter is too big or something, its not fitting in snug, i unbolted the lid, and there was gas laying outside of the gas tank. Also the gas on my old fuel filter was spewing, but there was an obvious leak.
Old 01-17-2014
Registered!!

Okay so I fixed the problem and tightened up the plastic lid that holds the fuel pump. I also made sure the connections were okay and also fixed the rubber seal, i drove it around, had no leaks, but I am still have hesitations and as if the car is about to die. Now it isn't even driveable! Well my best bet is to get a diagnostic. I really appreciate your help.
Old 01-20-2014
Registered!!

Start with this.
What is the code?
Okay i got the codes!!!

P0131
P1259
the infamous p0420
p0172
p1456

The main one I am really focusing on would be the vtec system failure(P1259)
and the system to read bank I (P0172). My pop's friend came over and diagnosed my car. So he says this is the main problem and for me to fix this problem I should check my coils. Let me know if anyone has any other suggestions thanks!
Old 01-20-2014

Holy poop, that's a lot.

P0131 O2 sensor #1 low voltage
P1259 VTEC malfunction MAKE SURE THE OIL IS FULL
P0420 is the catalytic converter
P0172 fuel system too rich
P1456 EVAP system leakage, tank side

Coils???? I don't see any misfire codes, so probably not at this time.

P0172 and P0131 might go together, meaning one could cause the other or be related to the other. P0131 could have been caused by an extremely lean condition, but P0172 is a rich condition.
P0172 could be caused by P1259.

Chase P1259 first.

Cat is very last on the list. Never fix a cat until the engine runs perfect.

I might say to fix what you can first, then erase the codes, then start over and examine and diagnose (chase) each code individually as they return.
Old 01-23-2014
Registered!!

Holy poop, that's a lot.

P0131 O2 sensor #1 low voltage
P1259 VTEC malfunction MAKE SURE THE OIL IS FULL
P0420 is the catalytic converter
P0172 fuel system too rich
P1456 EVAP system leakage, tank side

Coils???? I don't see any misfire codes, so probably not at this time.

P0172 and P0131 might go together, meaning one could cause the other or be related to the other. P0131 could have been caused by an extremely lean condition, but P0172 is a rich condition.
P0172 could be caused by P1259.

Chase P1259 first.

Cat is very last on the list. Never fix a cat until the engine runs perfect.

I might say to fix what you can first, then erase the codes, then start over and examine and diagnose (chase) each code individually as they return.
I recently did an Oil change, so my oil should be good.

Okay i haven't been on in a few days went to the junkyard to look for parts..... NO LUCK. I will take a look at all these things today though thanks!
Old 01-23-2014

Originally Posted by Coldpizza
I recently did an Oil change, so my oil should be good.
Check it again anyway. Seriously. Things leak, **** happens.

Did you erase the codes yet?
Which code(s) came back?
Old 01-26-2014
Registered!!

Check it again anyway. Seriously. Things leak, **** happens.

Did you erase the codes yet?
Which code(s) came back?
Well, i may have a leak somewhere, i just do not have gas to start my car to check if the oil is low, but i am going to do that, so in the meantime I checked out my vtec solenoid, everything looked to be fine. My oil switch didn't look to be damaged or dirty. The hydraulic in the solenoid valve didn't have much debri, with just a little bit of gunk, so i cleaned it out. I have pictures. The picture doesn't show, but i cleaned out the filter haha. I was just in too much of a rush to take a pic after i cleaned it with a cloth
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	2469
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	86320   Click image for larger version

Name:	image(2).jpg
Views:	460
Size:	20.7 KB
ID:	86321  
Old 01-26-2014

i just do not have gas to start my car to check if the oil is low,
You check engine oil with the engine OFF. Same goes for automatic trans fluid in Hondas.

My oil switch didn't look to be damaged or dirty.
That's no way to evaluate an electrical part. You gotta figure out if it operates correctly or not.

Have you cleared the codes and driven it to see what code(s) return?
Gotta establish whether or not the code is a consistent fault.
If the VTEC code you want to chase is intermittent, you may have a hard time finding a real fault.

As far as testing the VTEC solenoid and switch, my first choice is a proper scanner to see what's happening and what the computer sees.

Then I'd probably use active testing, meaning manually make it operate and check for actual activation and response. Jumper wires, a voltmeter, and maybe a test light.
Old 01-27-2014
Registered!!

You check engine oil with the engine OFF. Same goes for automatic trans fluid in Hondas.

That's no way to evaluate an electrical part. You gotta figure out if it operates correctly or not.

Have you cleared the codes and driven it to see what code(s) return?
Gotta establish whether or not the code is a consistent fault.
If the VTEC code you want to chase is intermittent, you may have a hard time finding a real fault.

As far as testing the VTEC solenoid and switch, my first choice is a proper scanner to see what's happening and what the computer sees.

Then I'd probably use active testing, meaning manually make it operate and check for actual activation and response. Jumper wires, a voltmeter, and maybe a test light.
Okay so my oil was low, but idk, maybe i have a leak somewhere? and no i haven't driven it because i still need to figure how to fix P0172. Also, how do i test my oil pressure switch? And what am i looking for? I was lookin for my MAF sensor and I looked up more on it, and my car does not have a MAF, i was planning on cleaning that, plus the throttle plate.
Old 01-27-2014

Okay so my oil was low
How low was the oil?
How much did you have to add?
Is it to the full mark now?
Make it so.
maybe i have a leak somewhere?
I don't know, DO YOU?

It's either leaking it or burning it.
If you have a zillion miles, I'd bet it's burning at least part of it no matter how bad it's leaking.
Either way, it's still your job to keep the oil level sufficiently full.
If you don't, you will pay "the tax".
That means checking it on a regular basis and adding when needed.
Your owners manual says to check all fluids at every fuel fill up.

and no i haven't driven it because i still need to figure how to fix P0172.
Clear the fault codes out of the computer.
Drive the car.
See if any codes come back.

Report if/when they do, and which code(s). (Get the freeze frame data too!)
Let's see what happens.

Do you have a way to read engine operational data from the computer?
Scanner, code reader, torque app, scangauge, etc?
Old 01-29-2014
Registered!!

[quote=ezone;4656849]How low was the oil?
Make it so.
I don't know, DO YOU?

I'm going to do an oil change today, just change out the oil. Also, it was only at the very tip of my mark

[quote=ezone;4656849]
If you have a zillion miles, I'd bet it's burning at least part of it no matter how bad it's leaking.

Well i suppose it is burning, my car has 191k miles.

Do you have a way to read engine operational data from the computer?
Scanner, code reader, torque app, scangauge, etc?
ehhh i do not have any equipment for that, i may be about to find someone that will.

As far as my car struggling uphill, what do you suppose that is according to the code.

Last edited by Coldpizza; 01-29-2014 at 04:13 PM.
Old 01-29-2014

Also, it was only at the very tip of my mark
Only like a quart low? That ''shouldn't'' have been low enough to trip that code.
I usually find deathly low oil levels, like less than a quart remaining in the engine when low oil causes that code.

As far as my car struggling uphill, what do you suppose that is according to the code.
Depends.

Power and RPM are usually severely restricted as long as the P1259 code is present.
Is full power restored as soon as the codes are cleared?

Dude, you have a bunch of codes to deal with, there are a ton of possible problems going on.
Solve the rest of the codes, then see if it still runs bad.
Old 02-13-2014
Registered!!

[QUOTE=Coldpizza;4656964][quote=ezone;4656849]How low was the oil?
Make it so.
I don't know, DO YOU?

I'm going to do an oil change today, just change out the oil. Also, it was only at the very tip of my mark

Well i suppose it is burning, my car has 191k miles.

ehhh i do not have any equipment for that, i may be about to find someone that will.

Okay so I've ran a test on my multimeter seeing if my oxygen sensor harness is giving power with the KOEO. So I tested for power, that was there got 12volt reading, next step was to test if the harness was giving ground. I tested that and got no voltage. Now I'm starting to think it isn't even my O2 sensor, it may be bad wiring. Thoughts?
Old 02-13-2014

Originally Posted by Coldpizza

Okay so I've ran a test on my multimeter seeing if my oxygen sensor harness is giving power with the KOEO. So I tested for power, that was there got 12volt reading, next step was to test if the harness was giving ground. I tested that and got no voltage. Now I'm starting to think it isn't even my O2 sensor, it may be bad wiring. Thoughts?
What wires are you trying to test?
Why?
PCM supplies ground to the O2 HEATER circuit only with the engine running.
A P0131 code is related to activity. Low voltage output.

Wait a sec.
It's been..... a couple weeks.
Did you erase all the codes earlier?
Is this now the only code that came back?

Doesn't this car run bad?
Doesn't it STILL run bad?

I would be using a real scanner (live realtime data list) to see what the sensor is doing.
If it is working, I can safely assume this is not a wiring problem.
If the engine runs really bad, I can assume this is not a sensor problem either.

Remember when I said a severely LEAN condition can cause this code?