Regular Maintenance Post Questions/Information about Regular Maintenance here

need help with catalyic convertor selection

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
azi90 is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation need help with catalyic convertor selection

Need a new cat convertor. what would be the difference(if any) between these ones
http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/wa...l#.Uojk43dYHMg
and this one
www.hottexhaust.com/Magnaflow_93228

they both have 2 year warranty. which probalby means they are going to both die in about 2-3 years.

going for original OEM isnt option for me since i know they cost 1400$

Please help me select

P.s my car is 2004 civic ex
Old 11-17-2013
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold
Re: need help with catalyic convertor selection

I would go with the magnaflow. Direct fit and better quality.
Old 11-17-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

California CARB approved would be my 2nd choice after factory.

No choices after that. I can't afford to install cheap parts in customer cars.

EDIT: wait, you're talking Canadian? IDK.
Old 11-17-2013
Registered!!

Originally Posted by GolNat
I would go with the magnaflow. Direct fit and better quality.
i would appreciate if i can know the reason why. The warrany is same. but price is more than the DOUBLE. i think they both going to last me 2-3 years. anyreason as to why i should pay more for magnaflow?
Old 11-17-2013
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
California CARB approved would be my 2nd choice after factory.

No choices after that. I can't afford to install cheap parts in customer cars.
how long would that last me for emission in canada
Old 11-17-2013

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by azi90
Same as if it were in the USA.
Old 11-17-2013
Registered!!

Same as if it were in the USA.
how long would it last for the emission in USA ? i dont want to buy cat convertor for 4-5 bills every 2 year. thats my concern
Old 11-17-2013

I'm thinking as though I'm at work again.

When I have to replace a cat, I need it to last as long as possible. I can't ever believe someone that says they only need it to last a year or two, because most people lie their asses off if it will get them a cheaper price. (Therefore the cheapo cat choice is not offered.)

Factory cat is always first choice.
California CARB approved is second choice.
If someone wants to go cheaper, they can go somewhere else and be upset at THAT shop when it fails.

These are based on expected longevity, and warranty.
Check into those aspects.

Is that Magnaflow choice approved by CARB for sale and use in California?
(NO.)
See if they DO have a CARB approved choice if you need for it to last a long time.

If you only need a couple more years out of the car, then go cheapo if you like.

JMO, HTH
Old 11-17-2013

Moved thread to 7th gen
Old 11-17-2013

I believe California regulations demands a 5 year/50,000 mile warranty on approved cats. (I'm not sure how that works if they send one to Canada though.)

Most aftermarket units only get a 1 year warranty.
Old 11-18-2013
Registered!!

I'm thinking as though I'm at work again.

When I have to replace a cat, I need it to last as long as possible. I can't ever believe someone that says they only need it to last a year or two, because most people lie their asses off if it will get them a cheaper price. (Therefore the cheapo cat choice is not offered.)

Factory cat is always first choice.
California CARB approved is second choice.
If someone wants to go cheaper, they can go somewhere else and be upset at THAT shop when it fails.

These are based on expected longevity, and warranty.
Check into those aspects.

Is that Magnaflow choice approved by CARB for sale and use in California?
(NO.)
See if they DO have a CARB approved choice if you need for it to last a long time.

If you only need a couple more years out of the car, then go cheapo if you like.

JMO, HTH
i know factory cat is the best choice but spending 1400$+ doesnt seem like the real deal on 2004 civic which im not planning on keeping for more than 3 years. i just want something to last me 3 years for not more than 4-5 bills. so i guess cali convertors would be the best choice
Old 11-18-2013

If you only need 3 years, maybe wait until your test date comes near then install the Magnaflow direct-fit looking unit and see how long it lasts?

I didn't see a Calif approved cat that looks right on the Magnaflow site, only saw the manifold type..... Wow.

Funny..... Figured I'd look at factory stuff a sec..

Looking in http://torontohondaparts.com/ they don't list an EX. Hmmm.
I assume your cat is under the car, not built into of the manifold? They want $1200 for theirs.

Any way you can sneak parts across the border? Majestic shows almost half that price for theirs $687 USD (no clue what the exchange rate is though)

Thought about a used OE cat from a recycle yard/used car/Craigslist part-out?
Old 11-18-2013
7th Gen Civic DIY Enthusiast!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Matt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the rough

Looking in http://torontohondaparts.com/ they don't list an EX. Hmmm.
FYI, the SI is the EX equivalent in Canada.
Old 11-21-2013
Registered!!

yeah2004 canadian SI is an equavalent of EX in US. and i thought about grabbing one from junkyard. not sure if ill be able to find exactly one for my car though

and yes my cat is under the car not attached to manifold

and im willing to wait until my emission test is due, but just worried about if my fuel economy is going to hurt coz of bad cat.
Old 11-21-2013
Super Moderator

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts
Poopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of light

Your fuel economy shouldn't be affected as long as the exhaust can flow freely. The cat is strictly an emission control device.
Old 11-21-2013

but just worried about if my fuel economy is going to hurt coz of bad cat.
Originally Posted by Poopies
Your fuel economy shouldn't be affected as long as the exhaust can flow freely. The cat is strictly an emission control device.
You'd be surprised how much it CAN affect gas mileage, especially as you get into newer stuff.
The engine and computer is a life-support system for the catalytic converter, first and foremost. (Propelling the car down the road is entirely secondary!)
The PCM can constantly manipulate fuel control as it tries to obtain a desired reaction/reading from the rear O2 sensor.
If the cat is bad/missing or has an O2 fooler of any type on the rear sensor, the PCM can go nuts with fuel delivery, unchecked. THAT'S when mileage gets affected.

If the guy is **** about checking mileage he'd probably notice a bit of difference. Probably not much, but I really can't say that for certain.

HTH
Old 11-20-2014
Registered!!

Greenmonster is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey man check this out.

http://www.carid.com/2001-honda-civi...EMuxoCSTHw_wcB
Old 11-20-2014
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
06 EX Mild Mods has a spectacular aura about06 EX Mild Mods has a spectacular aura about06 EX Mild Mods has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Greenmonster
If I had to replace my catalyic converter I would opt for a "high flow catalytic converter" they are less restrictive and usually less expensive. Google for the quoted text for a large variety of options.
Old 11-20-2014
Registered!!

bsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nice

Originally Posted by 06 EX Mild Mods
If I had to replace my catalyic converter I would opt for a "high flow catalytic converter" they are less restrictive and usually less expensive. Google for the quoted text for a large variety of options.
But how would the car's computer react to a non OEM cat? I don't want to replace any part and have terrible gas mileage or a constant lit CEL.

Last edited by bsmiley; 11-20-2014 at 08:29 PM.
Old 11-20-2014
Registered!!

Greenmonster is an unknown quantity at this point

Dude DONT! I went through this same situation, thinking I could utilize the replacement for a "high-Flow" cat. They don't exist man, just go with what should be on there, don't listen to all the marketing BS. SAVE YOUR MONEY BUY THE RIGHT PART!!
Old 11-20-2014

Who decided to drag this old thread out? It's dead.

Seems like carid used to be a sponsor here on this site.
EDIT:carid is a Premium Sponsor

If I had to replace my catalyic converter I would opt for a "high flow catalytic converter" they are less restrictive and usually less expensive.
Then you get to find out why they are cheap.
(I've seen an ad that showed an empty cat shell and called it "high flow" LOL. No cat at all.)

The computer hates them, half of them can't make it past the 1 year warranty. This is important if you have to pass an emissions test.

I only offer the factory cat or California CARB certified cat to a customer. (I only have to deal with stock cars too.)

I won't even offer a cheap cat to a customer because they fail so frequently. If a customer wants a cheap cat they can go elsewhere and be pissed at that shop when it fails too soon, and frequently.

A correctly sized cat will flow far more than the engine is capable of producing. Stock OE.

Last edited by ezone; 11-21-2014 at 01:12 PM.