Transmission Post your issues with Transmissions here! Transmission covers from Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles.

Why you only shift 4 positions SLXA tranny?! BMXA Swap.

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ILikeIke is an unknown quantity at this point
Why you only shift 4 positions SLXA tranny?! BMXA Swap.

Hey y'all,

after installing an SLXA transaxle in a 2004 Honda Civic EX that originally came with a BMXA, the shifter will only slot into 4 positions (N R D D2), misaligned, while there are 5 positions present (N R D D3 D2). R is slightly lower, while D falls right into the indicated D3 position on the shifter. The dash indicates all but D3 are activating. Here's a picture of the floor shifter:

It's also throwing code P0705 - Short In Transmission Range Switch Circuit. I went and looked that up, it correlates to:

- Faulty Park/Neutral Position Switch
- Misadjusted Park/Neutral Position Switch
- Park/Neutral Position Switch harness is open or shorted
- Park/Neutral Position Switch circuit poor electrical connection

Which makes sense, as the shifter positions are not lining up properly.

I pulled the center console and tried to adjust the shifter cable, but after fiddling with the lock nut a bit, it doesn't seem to be adjustable. I'm actually starting to think the SLXA needs a different cable than the BMXA to actuate properly.

Does anyone have any experience with making this swap? Can the cable be adjusted? Does it need a different cable altogether? Am I off on the wrong track and does it need something completely different?

The car is practically all put back together, and obviously I'd rather try and correct whatever's wrong than tear the whole thing apart again. Thanks in advance for all replies.
Old 03-10-2014
Registered!!

GaryLeeT is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Why you only shift 4 positions SLXA tranny?! BMXA Swap.

I know you asked this question almost a half year ago, but did you ever get this sorted out? I ask, because I am in the exact same situation after I swapped a BMXA for a SLXA. It runs in "D" OK, but the shifter in other positions give atransmission error.
Old 03-12-2014
Registered!!

nsrhonda89 has a spectacular aura aboutnsrhonda89 has a spectacular aura about

Which Transmission Range Switch Circuit are you using?
If your original transmission comes with the BMXA transmission then use the BMXA switch and see what happens.

I checked the service manual and the only difference is the speed sensor washer.

NOTE: The mainshaft speed sensor washer is
equipped on the SLXA transmission; the BMXA
transmission does not have the washer.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Civic_Auto_Transmission.pdf (93.6 KB, 2060 views)

Last edited by nsrhonda89; 03-12-2014 at 10:32 AM.
Old 03-12-2014
Registered!!

GaryLeeT is an unknown quantity at this point

nrshonda98,
Since I did not know what model the donor car was, I swapped the position sensor & cable from one to the other, and it worked like a charm! As you can see in the pages you attached, the pins for the P R N D are the same, but differ in the lower gears. I can't thank you enough for taking the time to head me in the right direction.

Last edited by GaryLeeT; 03-12-2014 at 07:13 PM.
Old 07-09-2014
Registered!!

CHIVICSI is an unknown quantity at this point

Trying to bring this thread back and hopefully someone could help me out.

Im in the exact same situation like the OP but all I switched from the BMXA is the transmission range switch and not the cable since it was cutoff when I got the SLXA. Even with the .pdf manual on how to adjust the TRS, im still stuck.

The car will recognize the N and D as neutral and the car will shift to R fine and D3 2 but when on D3, it doesnt shift to 4th which is the final gear.

Could this be the TRS? when installed on the old BMXA, the car was shifting fine.

If anyone think I missed on something, please point me to the right direction.

Thanks.
Old 07-17-2014
Registered!!

Anyone??
Old 07-20-2014
Registered!!

CHIVICSI which TRS are you using?

SLXA transmission
- Use the SLXA Transmission Range Switch Circuit and cable.

BMXA transmission
- Use the BMXA Transmission Range Switch Circuit and cable.
Old 07-24-2014
Registered!!

Originally Posted by nsrhonda89
CHIVICSI which TRS are you using?

SLXA transmission
- Use the SLXA Transmission Range Switch Circuit and cable.

BMXA transmission
- Use the BMXA Transmission Range Switch Circuit and cable.
The SLXA I got didnt came with a TRS but it did came with a cable CUT in half which was still attatched to the tranny. I ended up using the old BMXAs TRS and cable.

Am I suppose to use a SLXA TRS and cable to make this work?? From reading this thread I thought Im suppose to use the BMXAs TRS. This is why I didnt bother asking the shop where I bought the SLXA from for its original TRS as it was already taken off.

Thank you for your help.
Old 07-24-2014
Registered!!

Abysmal Amidati is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by CHIVICSI
The car will recognize the N and D as neutral and the car will shift to R fine and D3 2 but when on D3, it doesnt shift to 4th which is the final gear.
Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the point of D3 not to shift into 4th gear? It's supposed to limit the transmission to 3rd gear and lockout the 4th gear...
Old 07-24-2014
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Abysmal Amidati
Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the point of D3 not to shift into 4th gear? It's supposed to limit the transmission to 3rd gear and lockout the 4th gear...
Your absolutely right. I figured when im N and D as neutral, I figured the D3 would be my D.
Old 07-31-2014
Registered!!

UPDATE!!

Finally got this resolved!! Just a tip to whoever runs into the same problem. What I did is open up the center console and adjust the shifter cable. Putting the lever in N and loosening the nut and tightning it. I then went to the TRS and made a slight adjustment by loosening the 2 10mm bolts and wiggle the TRS until I see the N light goes ON the dash. After doing this, I retightened the 2 bolts, went back in the car to confirm the light corresponds to the lever which it did. I took her out for a test drive and she shifts smoothly all the way to 4th.
Old 08-04-2014
Registered!!

After driving the car for a couple of days, I am now getting a P0740 code everytime I take her at the freeway. Did my search on the code and its apperantly the Lock Up clutch solenoid malfunction. I read people from getting the torque converter replace as the fix. Kinda sucks that I have to tear it back down but I will start with doing a tranny oil change first as I only filled 3L upon after the install. Hopefully this fixes it.

Has anyone gone through the same situation? Came up with a good fix??
Old 08-06-2014
Registered!!

The error means that torque converter is falling apart or the Torque converter O-ring is bad. When I had the code, I got my transmission rebuild and put in another torque converter. I have 65K on the rebuild unit.

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...ml#post4656946
Old 10-29-2014
Registered!!

00cxhatch is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello all. I'm doing the same swap and I'm throwing the p0740 code too. Everywhere I've looked it says the torque converter is bad, but When I did the swap, I actually put a brand new torque converter in. It also has the oring on the end of the converter. I'm hoping a simple trans flush will solve the cel. I've also replaced the actual tcc sensor on top of the trans. Just wondering if the op's car is still running
Old 04-15-2015
Registered!!

lebaron is an unknown quantity at this point

I got the same problem too with this swap on my 2005 Honda civic lx slxa for bmxa it kept giving me differents codes torque converter, clutch, range sensor and so on but upon careful examination of trans shaft my bmxa has 5 clicks while the slxa has only 4 the trans is good but is one gear short if I drive only 50 miles p/h is ok but when I try to go over 60 the rpm are over 3000 the fifth gear never engages cause doesn't have it then your engine light comes on and gives you all those codes. These guys are selling the wrong trans to people and don't care.
Old 05-04-2015
Registered!!

zjeproks is an unknown quantity at this point

I just bought a 2002 CIVIC EX with a bad tranny and I've been doing my research on swapping a jdm slxa. Apparently, there are 2 variants of SLXA with either 4 or 5 clicks. I got intrigued with this ebay listing: http://www.ebay.com/itm/01-05-Honda-...-/201321675767

I was doig some offsite work today in VA and there is a jdm dealer next door. I went in and asked about their 2001-2005 tranny and I was shown 3. I asked for a pair of pliers to turn the gear selector on the transmission and sure enough, 2 are 4 clicks and 1 is 5 clicks. I bought the 5 clicks and installing it on my car this weekend. Will keep you updated.
Old 05-19-2015
Registered!!

jdm D17A and SLXA 5 click tranny went in last week and I'm also getting a P0740 code like everybody else that did this swap. It shifts fine and rpm is at 3,200 at 70mph.

From reading this thread, swapping in a TCC solenoid and new torque converter does not take care of the issue.
Old 05-20-2015
Registered!!

lebaron is an unknown quantity at this point

No, is the wrong tranny. I have the same slxa only with 4 clicks it runs very good but the rpm are too high same as yours. I am rebuilding my original tranny now sorry to hear that.
Old 05-22-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by lebaron
No, is the wrong tranny. I have the same slxa only with 4 clicks it runs very good but the rpm are too high same as yours. I am rebuilding my original tranny now sorry to hear that.
As I said before, I have a 5 click SLXA tranny and at 70mph, engine is at 3200 rpm.
Old 12-22-2015
Registered!!

chuzie is an unknown quantity at this point

I am surprised there is not more chatter on this subject.

Just so I am clear on this, if we remove a BMXA and replace with a SLXA, not matter the adjustments or swapping of TRS, we will never have the reasonable RPM at high speed?

Is the SLXA missing a gear or is it just that the TC is not locking up?

With the pinout issue described above, the BMXA TRS should be used on the SLXA transmission or it will have compatibility issues with the PCM, correct?

I just replaced my BMXA with an SLXA from JDM and they told me to swap the TRS and modify the mounting bracket on the shifter cable. Not going to do either until I research some more.
Old 12-22-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by chuzie
I am surprised there is not more chatter on this subject.

Just so I am clear on this, if we remove a BMXA and replace with a SLXA, not matter the adjustments or swapping of TRS, we will never have the reasonable RPM at high speed?

Is the SLXA missing a gear or is it just that the TC is not locking up?

With the pinout issue described above, the BMXA TRS should be used on the SLXA transmission or it will have compatibility issues with the PCM, correct?

I just replaced my BMXA with an SLXA from JDM and they told me to swap the TRS and modify the mounting bracket on the shifter cable. Not going to do either until I research some more.
The BMXA actually have 6 clicks and the SLXA only have 5. SLXA locks up but I'm guessing the ECU is detecting rpm is lower than expected.

I ended up buying a remanufactured BMXA from Willow Creek Transmission. When I asked Silvain if I'm getting a Bmxa or slxa, he asked me what model I have and I said EX. He said SLXA is for LX and DX only and EX have BMXA.
Old 02-22-2016
Registered!!

Corrado3000 is an unknown quantity at this point

Anyone have any luck or an update? I just pick up an 05 civic and the JDM transmission seem like a great bargain compared to what the auto dismantelers want. Then again I don't want to be stuck with a headache if I do decide to sell the car, oh and my vehicle is a Canadian assembled civic (I live in California), from what I read. These are the most finiky when swaping out to a JDM auto transmission.. Anyone have a clue as to what is different? Thanks

Originally Posted by zjeproks
The BMXA actually have 6 clicks and the SLXA only have 5. SLXA locks up but I'm guessing the ECU is detecting rpm is lower than expected.

I ended up buying a remanufactured BMXA from Willow Creek Transmission. When I asked Silvain if I'm getting a Bmxa or slxa, he asked me what model I have and I said EX. He said SLXA is for LX and DX only and EX have BMXA.
Old 06-05-2016
Registered!!

jdmshawn is an unknown quantity at this point

Just from my past experiences with installing SLXA transmissions in 01-05 civics. I have done 2 of these swaps both will have the the p0741 or p0740 codes pop up after driving on the highway for about 5 min. I have since been driving one of these civics for over a year and put about 20,000 miles on it and had zero issues with the transmission. IMO the USDM ecu is misreading the lockup rpm's or something on the JDM SLXA transmissions hence throwing the codes however the transmissions are working perfectly. I will continue to use these transmissions in the 01-05 civics I can live with a light on.
Old 06-05-2016
Registered!!

Jade03CivicEX is an unknown quantity at this point

Have a 2003 Honda Civic EX 220, 000 MILES on it, D17A2 VTEC and BMXA trans (P R N D D3 D2) JDM told us we need 5 click and that if we swap all BMXA sensor to the SLXA trans we will not have issues. I purchased the JDM D17 VTEC with the SLXA 5 click. Is it TRUE if all BMXA sensor are swapped over to the SLXA there will NO issues ?
Our original BMXA shifted fine but has high miles on it figured to go with lower miles SLXA. Both engines are on the floor and we are swapping over the parts right now. I only have original 2003 Civic EX ECU to the car and the original BMXA shift cable and shifter.
Should I just run the original high mile BMXA to save on issues.
Old 06-05-2016
Registered!!

SLXA transmission will work fine. It only has P R N D D3 no D2 you will get the P0741 code however the torque convertor is smaller so the sensor thinks its spinning faster than the USDM ECU is programmed to read so it throws a code. 20,000 miles on my SLXA transmission no problems at all. I did not change out any of the sensors on the SLXA transmission either they are exactly the same as BMXA.
Old 06-07-2016
Registered!!

no, the egr is the same.
Old 11-06-2016
2001 Civic EX JDM swap

CommuterMonster is an unknown quantity at this point

I am almost complete with my JDM swap as well, going from a bmxa to an slxa trans has given me the same issues as everyone here. I got my shift cable adjusted, I hit PRND and D2, with nothing happenening in the D3 slot. I read in another forum that switching to the JDM ECU that came with the engine and trans would fix the issue. I am gonna reprogram the immobilizer this week on the new ECU and see if that solves the issue. I will update here after I give it a shot.
Old 11-06-2016
Registered!!

Jade03CivicEX is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by CommuterMonster
I am almost complete with my JDM swap as well, going from a bmxa to an slxa trans has given me the same issues as everyone here. I got my shift cable adjusted, I hit PRND and D2, with nothing happening in the D3 slot. I read in another forum that switching to the JDM ECU that came with the engine and trans would fix the issue. I am gonna reprogram the immobilizer this week on the new ECU and see if that solves the issue. I will update here after I give it a shot.
Please keep us posted. Daughter has been driving hers and the tranny shifts fine. We did not get a JDM ECU with out engine tranny. I just told her to use the the gear select on dash and so far so good. Engine runs great the JDM setup is geared a little different form US but still get 35-36MPG on hwy and the car has a lot of getty up and go. The only issue we have it the check engine light with the torque converter flag. I like the car so much told her we are trading.
Old 11-06-2016
2001 Civic EX JDM swap

Originally Posted by Jade03CivicEX
Please keep us posted. Daughter has been driving hers and the tranny shifts fine. We did not get a JDM ECU with out engine tranny. I just told her to use the the gear select on dash and so far so good. Engine runs great the JDM setup is geared a little different form US but still get 35-36MPG on hwy and the car has a lot of getty up and go. The only issue we have it the check engine light with the torque converter flag. I like the car so much told her we are trading.
I will update on how it goes, the place I picked up my engine had so many, that I'm sure you could score an ECU if you needed to. I could tell that the gearing was a little different on my initial test drive, but I couldn't tell if it was falling into the last gear or not. What rpm does yours run at on the highway (70-80mph)?
Old 11-11-2016
2001 Civic EX JDM swap

From Jade03Civic:

JDM Trans with original ECU
63MPH @ 2800;
68MPH @3000;
RPM 70MPH @ 3050;
73MPH @ 3250; 78MPH @ 3500;
80MPH @ 3600.

Quick Reply: Why you only shift 4 positions SLXA tranny?! BMXA Swap.