Air Conditioning Post issues with air conditioning here

AC bypass? [solved]

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IZZY13 is an unknown quantity at this point
AC bypass? [solved]

My AC pump clutch is about to go. Is there a belt that I can get, that just goes from the crank pulley to my alternator? I want to fix my AC, just not right now.

Top Answer

10-20-2013
ezone
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: AC bypass?

Will the DX civic belt fit with the compressor still in place?

If you draw a straight line from the bottom of the crank pulley to the bottom of the alternator pulley, you will see plenty of clearance away from the top of the AC compressor pulley. Yes it should fit.

Will I still have heat for the defrost?
Heating has nothing to do with the AC.
A DX does not have AC, and it still has heat.

OTOH the defrost function (it's really deFOG, not defrost) won't be as efficient because of the lack of AC to remove humidity from the air.
But a DX doesn't have AC.

And do i need to pull the relay for the AC?
Does the AC work now? Why are you doing this with the belt?

Yes, I would pull out the relay for the AC clutch.
Old 10-16-2013
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

You can take the belt that is on there and pinch it at one end to measure the size belt you will need. Take the pinched belt to the parts store and find a belt that is close to that size.

You can also order one here:

http://www.corsportusa.com/store/cat...ducts_id=15246
Old 10-16-2013

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Ask for a belt to fit a DX without AC.
Old 10-16-2013
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

^Exactly. Civic DX has no air conditioning so the belt is a perfect fit for what your looking for. Are you 100% sure it's the AC clutch? There is a shim in there that needs to come out if the clutch stops making contact. If you remove the shim the compressor clutch might start functioning properly again.
Old 10-16-2013
Registered!!

Thanks guys! I'm pretty sure it's the clutch. I'ts been making some bad growling noise! I took the belt off & gave it a spin & it sounds like the barrings are going out.
Old 10-16-2013

Sounds like the bearing for the pulley is probably shot.
Old 10-16-2013
Whachya lookin at?

BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

Ok just thought I'd throw that out there. I wonder how many people replace the clutch when they only needed to pull out the shim
Old 10-16-2013

Originally Posted by BlueEM2
when they only needed to pull out the shim
There's an actual spec for that.
Old 10-16-2013
Registered!!

Thank you again guys!
Old 10-16-2013
Whachya lookin at?

Originally Posted by ezone
How many Joe Schmoe mechanics know that?
Old 10-20-2013
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
grunt is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello, I understand about bypassing the ac compressor with a alternator belt from a DX civic without AC. Will the DX civic belt fit with the compressor still in place? Will I still have heat for the defrost? And do i need to pull the relay for the AC? I have 2001 LX civic. Any info would be appreciated...
Old 10-20-2013
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by grunt
Hello, I understand about bypassing the ac compressor with a alternator belt from a DX civic without AC. Will the DX civic belt fit with the compressor still in place? Will I still have heat for the defrost? And do i need to pull the relay for the AC? I have 2001 LX civic. Any info would be appreciated...
yes the belt will fit with the compressor still in place

yes you will still have heat,

you can pull the relay if you want but not nessessary
Old 10-20-2013

Will the DX civic belt fit with the compressor still in place?

If you draw a straight line from the bottom of the crank pulley to the bottom of the alternator pulley, you will see plenty of clearance away from the top of the AC compressor pulley. Yes it should fit.

Will I still have heat for the defrost?

OTOH the defrost function (it's really deFOG, not defrost) won't be as efficient because of the lack of AC to remove humidity from the air.

And do i need to pull the relay for the AC?

Old 10-20-2013
Registered!!

My AC compressor on my LX is bad. Winter is right around the corner here and money is tight. I plan on fixing it this spring
Old 10-20-2013
Registered!!

Which is the relay for the AC clutch???
Old 10-20-2013

Look at the diagram on the fusebox lid. Clutch is marked with a picture of a simple plain snowflake.

Top row, 2nd from left?

BRB, I gotta look now
Old 10-20-2013

Yup, that's it. I said the same thing in the past https://www.civicforums.com/forums/3...ml#post4608485

Funny, you have the exact same pic.
Old 10-20-2013
Registered!!

Ok guys. I want to thank everyone who replied to my questions. The DX belt is in and the relay is pulled. Nice not to hear that noisy AC pump. In the future I will be reading up on the AC units. THANKS AGAIN!!!!
The following users liked this post:
Waybuu (10-30-2021)
Old 08-11-2019
Registered!!

Tsao David is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: AC bypass?

I was able to fix my daughter's car with this thread, thank you all.
Old 11-13-2019
Registered!!

David Darling is an unknown quantity at this point

Anybody know if the Dx belt would work on a 2004 Honda civic hybrid. My ac compressor pulley is locked up and trying to find a quick solution until I'm able to replace it
Old 11-15-2019

Originally Posted by David Darling
Anybody know if the Dx belt would work on a 2004 Honda civic hybrid. My ac compressor pulley is locked up and trying to find a quick solution until I'm able to replace it
No. The engine in the hybrid is completely different from the 1.7 in the regular civics.

I think there's a thread or two here somewhere dealing with bypassing the ac comp on one of those hybrids though. Search for it?
Old 04-30-2020
Registered!!

Molecule is an unknown quantity at this point

This site has saved me twice. AC compressor seized up. I could see it was glowing red when I stopped. Went fishing and then slept in the car all night while it was snowing out. Went the next day to an auto parts store. The closest DX belt was 2 hours away. Some guy delivered it to me and I fixed the car in Culver's parking lot. Eventually got it replaced. Same thing happened 2 years later. I am done with AC. Thanks guys!
Old 05-01-2020
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,146 Likes on 801 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Molecule
This site has saved me twice. AC compressor seized up. I could see it was glowing red when I stopped. Went fishing and then slept in the car all night while it was snowing out. Went the next day to an auto parts store. The closest DX belt was 2 hours away. Some guy delivered it to me and I fixed the car in Culver's parking lot. Eventually got it replaced. Same thing happened 2 years later. I am done with AC. Thanks guys!
Glad to hear you've gotten some great help from what's been posted here. I must say, I wish I could say I was done with AC. It's pretty much a requirement here in Vegas. lol
The following users liked this post:
Molecule (05-01-2020)
Old 05-01-2020
Super Moderator

Received 1,848 Likes on 1,300 Posts
BrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud of

I went one summer without A/C here in Ohio, that was enough for me.
Old 03-07-2021
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Curtis Johnson is an unknown quantity at this point

The Honda shop manual has that spec. at 20 thousands.