Engine Post your engine related problems in this section. Engines will cover from Fuel, Engine, Cooling, Exhaust physical related items.

stripped timing belt tensioner hole

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2014
*watches temp gauge like a hawkboss* :D

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
kinakoes2 is a glorious beacon of lightkinakoes2 is a glorious beacon of lightkinakoes2 is a glorious beacon of lightkinakoes2 is a glorious beacon of lightkinakoes2 is a glorious beacon of light
Re: stripped timing belt tensioner hole

+10,000,000 on TIME-SERTs. The only thread repair that exceeds the torque of the original hole (esp in aluminium), is a full sleeve so it can never pull out, and is super-super easy to install. Used them exclusively on powersports Hondas and other Big Four and domestic bikes, ATVs, and watercraft. Spend the extra cash, and do it once -- you don't want to put a Silly-Coil on a fastener hole as important and as vibration-prone as for a timing belt tensioner.

Last edited by kinakoes2; 03-25-2014 at 06:06 PM.
Old 11-22-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
74project is an unknown quantity at this point

I just completed the Timesert install on my 2005 Civic EX. Thanks for the advice from all posters! I made a guide block out of delrin, that was about an inch deep, that I held up to the mounting surface of the block when starting to drill the hole out to 13/32" size. This guided the drill straight into the hole, so I didn't end up with a crooked hole. I also drilled this block with a guide hole for the tap for the very same reason. It was challenging to hold it and turn the drill by hand with the tap handle, but it didn't take all that long to get to a depth where the guide block wasn't needed any longer. At that point, it was just time consuming to hand drill the hole to the proper depth. I was worried about drilling the hole to the depth called out by the Timesert directions (insert depth + 1/4" extra), but it turned out perfect. I installed the insert with the supplied tool, and torqued the tensioner bolt up to the 33lb/ft spec called out in the manual. I now have one used Timesert kit, that is missing one insert, that I plan to sell on Ebay.
Old 01-20-2015
Registered!!

mrm95 is an unknown quantity at this point

I am having this issue right now... My tensioner failed causing the belt to skip and bend every intake valve.. Got the head back put it on along with everything else just to find out that the previous owner had stripped out the threads in the hole the threads still grab a little bit, so i just put jb weld on the threads to see if this works. with the time-sert kit, do i need to pull the motor in order to put it in? there isnt a ton of room between the frame and the block
Old 08-01-2015
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
7thgensurvivor is an unknown quantity at this point

In the middle of tackling this problem myself. Looks like the previous mechanic used a heli-coil which has now failed. The hole is a mess and will not take a new heli-coil insert. Going to have to use a
big insert kit from time-sert big insert kit from time-sert
to make a bigger whole than the previous one.

Wish me luck. Will post back here to let you know how it works out.
Old 08-01-2015
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by 7thgensurvivor
In the middle of tackling this problem myself. Looks like the previous mechanic used a heli-coil which has now failed. The hole is a mess and will not take a new heli-coil insert. Going to have to use a big insert kit from time-sert to make a bigger whole than the previous one.

oh man....good luck, i would just replace the block,

that bolt scares the crap out of me everytime, i normally under torque it to about 25 in fear of stripping it

how did you find this out?

what repair are in the middle of?
Old 08-01-2015
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
emich is an unknown quantity at this point

Same here. Use longer bolt. There is enough space. One of the bolts from the bracket above fits perfect

Last edited by emich; 08-01-2015 at 12:02 PM.
Old 08-26-2015
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
7thgensurvivor is an unknown quantity at this point

FYI,

I purchased a big-sert kit 5012c and a shorter (14mm I think) insert from time-sert to repair my failed heli-coil install from previous mechanic.

I can't even begin to say how impressed I was with time-sert. Part got here in less than a day. Quality of the kit was outstanding. Not cheap, but you get what you pay for in this case. It was an absolute pleasure to use. Only down side is I did have to "re-machine" the studs of the time-sert drill bit, tap, and countersink to fit into my hand tapping chuck. Other than that, the install went perfectly.

If anyone else gets into this situation, I have a once used big-sert 5012c which is the perfect tool for the job which I don't think I will be needing ever again. I'll sell it to you for much cheaper than you will find it anywhere else. Hit me up with a PM.

Cheers!
Old 10-09-2015
Registered!!

itsronnieg is an unknown quantity at this point

Can I use this big-sert kit 5012c if it stripped the first time without the heli-coil repair or do I need to use the time-sert kit 1012 mentioned in post #24?
I'd be interested in buying your used big-sert 5012c if I can use it.
Sent you PM.
Old 12-04-2015
Registered!!

74project is an unknown quantity at this point

In the middle of tackling this problem myself. Looks like the previous mechanic used a heli-coil which has now failed. The hole is a mess and will not take a new heli-coil insert. Going to have to use a big insert kit from time-sert to make a bigger whole than the previous one.

In response to this, I don't know if it is really that the last mechanic over torqued the bolt. In my case, the engine had never been apart, and the bolt stripped way before I ever reached 33 lb/ft of torque. I'm thinking that this problem is a defect in the machining of the block, or how the bolt was installed at the factory. My repair with the #1012 Timesert kit has around 16k miles on it now. When I installed the insert, I was confident that it would hold. I wouldn't install a helicoil in this location, with how critical this fastener is.
Old 12-04-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

, the engine had never been apart, and the bolt stripped way before I ever reached 33 lb/ft of torque. I'm thinking that this problem is a defect in the machining of the block, or how the bolt was installed at the factory.
I believe this is why Honda changed up to a longer bolt.
Old 12-04-2015
Registered!!

mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by 74project
the bolt stripped way before I ever reached 33 lb/ft of torque.
are you sure your torque wrench is accurate?

i would consider 33 max torque on something like this,

i normally stop at about 25 in fear of stripping it, it aint coming loose at 25
Old 08-19-2018
Registered!!

connectswires is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Final solution to stripped timing tensioner bolt

Originally Posted by Mr.H
Despair no more. I have the answer that you seek...:grin:

The car- 2004 Honda Civic LX 4 door

I had my timing belt/water pump done at a Honda dealership 22 months ago. I have nothing good to say about the mechanic that worked on my car. He overtightened the tensioner bolt, stripping it out.

About 3 weeks ago, the car went limp in the Publix parking lot, oil was spewing out all over the bottom of the engine.

I opened her up to find that the tensioner spring was all crushed up, loose near the crankshaft. The spring actually ate through the mounting hole on the tensioner itself-- Shocking how strong the OEM spring was. I'm guessing from the vibration caused by loose timing tensioner bolt that was stripped by the idiot Honda dealer mechanic. :hothead:

The timing belt was shredded & the engine was covered in oil (driver's side).

The crankshaft seal on the oil pump was cut (presumably by the loose spring). It came out in two circular pieces.

I put on a new cheap auto zone timing belt to check the compression. I feared that the valves were bent or worse. The compression came in 175-178psi. The engine was salvageable.

The big problem:

I was agonizing about how to go about repairing the stripped timing tensioner hole. I searched and searched for a easy solution. However, I found that there were 2 ways to go about it. 1) to lift or lower the engine to gain access to the hole by a drill, 2) drill a 3 to 4 inch through the left inner fender to gain access.

Lifting the engine meant I had to disconnect a lot of things. I was more worried about wires and hoses that may get ripped apart while attempting to do so. Lowering it seemed to be feasible, but the AC compressor had to be taken out. The lines had to be disconnected to gain access to mounting holes.

Drilling a hole through the inner fender was out of the question. It is a support area (rectangular box shape). I didn't want to compromise the structure.

I was looking at a Youtube video and a guy was drilling out the same hole on an engine that was out of the car--BY HAND. Because his small drill didn't accept the Time-sert drill bit. You may say, yeah, but the engine was out, and he had plenty of space. And he had plenty of leverage because he can put his weight behind the drill bit and tap wrench.

BUT, THIS CAN BE DONE WITH THE ENGINE STILL IN THE CAR!!!

You do not need to lower or lift the engine even an inch to gain access.

This is how I did it:

Tool you need:
1) Time-sert metric kit M10x1.25 part#1012 ($80 at Amazon)
2) small craftsman tap wrench (~$10?)

Remove everything to do a timing belt change, including the water pump (gets in the way of tap wrench)

Follow directions for Time-sert repair kit, but do everything by hand. Go slowly and carefully. It took me 5 min to drill out by hand. probably 20 min tops to complete the repair.

We don't need space for a drill. Repeat, we don't need the space for a drill! You have at least 2" of space left with the drill bit and tap wrench.

I think the idea that we need to gain access with a drill is making this more complicated. Get that out of your head. The block is aluminum and the hole is already there (you're not drilling a fresh hole) you're just making the hole slightly larger.

I was very surprised at how easily the drill bit cut a new hole into the block.

I reassembled everything using all new OEM HONDA parts. Runs like butter now.

I hope this post will help many in despair and agonizing about how to repair the stripped timing belt tensioner hole.
will this work if the previous owner upsized the heli-coil which has now failed
Old 08-03-2019
Registered!!

OG40 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by nsrhonda89
Did you install the new updated tensioner bolt?

2001 – 2003 model years may require a longer fastening bolt!
Please be advised that early model year Civics may require an
updated tensioner bolt. Honda upgraded the timing belt tensioner
assembly in late 2002.

https://www.techconnectcanada.com/do...20Bulletin.pdf

Thread repair, timing belt tensioner Honda Civic - YouTube
Hello there am new here just got a 2001 honda civic lx it needs a timing belt replacement I know this post is old but when removed the tensioner bolt and went to put in new one the threads stripped so I went to tool store and got me a heli coil it I still the new hole tapbthe new threads and for some reason the bolt feels like it's gonna strip feels like am forcing it in.Did I get the wrong size kit or what.the bolt it's 14mm and I bought this kit base on the previous post ,any help please.NOTE NOT BLAINMING ANYBODY HERE.
Old 08-10-2019
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold

There will be a length, diameter and thread count option. You made sure the thread count is the same, right?
Old 08-27-2019
Registered!!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Wildcat445 is an unknown quantity at this point

I just received my Time-Sert #5012 kit last week, and am going to attempt repairing my stripped tensioner threads within the next few days. It's the latest problem I've had in replacing the cylinder head (which I started last year, before the weather turned). I also had a squirrel or rat chew through one of the fuel injector wires, right at the connector, so I have a new connector to solder on. And I think I found where the oil was leaking from--the crank seal was kind of weepy.

This thing had better run when I try to start it up!
Old 08-29-2019
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Wildcat445
. And I think I found where the oil was leaking from--the crank seal was kind of weepy.

D
could be your oil pump o ring leaking.....its a very common issue
Old 09-12-2019
Registered!!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Wildcat445 is an unknown quantity at this point

Success! The Big-Sert #5012 worked perfectly, and the bolt takes the full 33 ft/lbs torque for the tensioner. Got it all put back together and the Civic is running again. Drilling the block with the provided drill bit in a tap handle is very tedious work, and that took the longest. (I thought there might have been a Helicoil in there, but there wasn't, so the drilling was more tedious than if I had purchased the regular Time-Sert kit for it.) But the rest went easy. Installing the insert is a little disconcerting though--once it gets bottomed out in its counterbore, the install tool is difficult to turn. Feels like you're bottoming out, but you're not--it is just the insert locking into place. I also used red (permanent) threadlocker on the insert--no way it's backing out! I was also able to remove the tensioner bolt after having it torqued down, and that insert held perfectly.

One thing to watch for--make certain that the counterbore is cut all the way down to the tool's limits. The insert has a shoulder that needs to fit flush inside that counterbore once the insert is installed. This is part of what "locks" it into place, to prevent you from screwing the insert too deep into the hole. Otherwise, the tensioner will not sit flush if the counterbore is not deep enough.

As luck would have it, one of the valve cover bolt holes in the rebuilt head was stripped. But for that, I just used a Helicoil, and in that low stress application (7 ft/lbs), it works fine, and only takes a minute or two to install.

So like others have said--no need to pull the engine to fix the stripped tensioner hole. The Big-Sert kit is expensive, but the tools are all very high quality (this is the "real stuff" here, like machinists would use), and it's cheaper than replacing an engine, and less work than pulling an engine out to repair it.

for the Big-Sert kit!
Old 05-31-2021
Registered!!

apoche is an unknown quantity at this point

FYI,

I purchased a big-sert kit 5012c and a shorter (14mm I think) insert from time-sert to repair my failed heli-coil install from previous mechanic.

I can't even begin to say how impressed I was with time-sert. Part got here in less than a day. Quality of the kit was outstanding. Not cheap, but you get what you pay for in this case. It was an absolute pleasure to use. Only down side is I did have to "re-machine" the studs of the time-sert drill bit, tap, and countersink to fit into my hand tapping chuck. Other than that, the install went perfectly.

If anyone else gets into this situation, I have a once used big-sert 5012c which is the perfect tool for the job which I don't think I will be needing ever again. I'll sell it to you for much cheaper than you will find it anywhere else. Hit me up with a PM.

Cheers!
I am having the same exact problem in my Ford Explorer. The tap has to be perfectly straight.The kit you have is the one I need but my money is limited. How much were you thinking about selling it for?
Old 06-01-2021
Super Moderator

Received 1,837 Likes on 1,295 Posts
BrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by apoche
I am having the same exact problem in my Ford Explorer. The tap has to be perfectly straight.The kit you have is the one I need but my money is limited. How much were you thinking about selling it for?
Come on....that post was nearly six years ago.
The following users liked this post:
Colin42 (06-01-2021)