Engine Post your engine related problems in this section. Engines will cover from Fuel, Engine, Cooling, Exhaust physical related items.

2001 EX Hesitates/Stalls

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BR549 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question 2001 EX Hesitates/Stalls

My Civic bogs down and almost stalls unless it is thoroughly warmed up. Does fine in traffic, but if I pull off at a convenience store, when I leave, I have to be careful that it is warm enough not to bog down when I pull out.
Recently cleaned throttle body, had induction cleaning by mechanic (plentum not removed - just squirted in pressurized cleaner with engine running..), recently replaced converter with Adv Auto Walker unit and both O2 sensors with Bosch units. I told two mechanics my problem and they recommended replacing both O2 sensors with NTK/Denso units. Engine light does not come on. Should I plunk down another 100 bucks and replace the O2 sensors? Any comments are welcome!!
Old 02-26-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2001 EX Hesitates/Stalls

Looks like you have asked something similar here in the past.....

I would probably try to figure out what is happening when it doesn't accelerate, (Losing fuel? Losing spark? Something else?) and then figure out why this is happening.

I don't have any answer for your problem at this point.

Instead of talking about your problems, guessing, and throwing unnecessary work at the problem with no resolution in sight, why not have it diagnosed properly by a professional that knows what they are doing?

$100 spent to get the correct answer would be money well spent IMHO.

I know, I know....You gotta find someone that can actually properly diagnose a problem first. Seems rare.

Do you still have the correct original O2 sensors?
Old 02-28-2013
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Looks like you have asked something similar here in the past.....

Instead of talking about your problems, guessing, and throwing unnecessary work at the problem with no resolution in sight, why not have it diagnosed properly by a professional that knows what they are doing?

$100 spent to get the correct answer would be money well spent IMHO.

I know, I know....You gotta find someone that can actually properly diagnose a problem first. Seems rare.

Do you still have the correct original O2 sensors?
Yes, you're right...bought car not running due to plugged cat converter and it was cheap. Replaced the converter with Adv Auto Walker, it ran, but would stall out pulling in traffic unless allowed to run a couple of minutes or so..

Initially took car to Honda dealer for diagnosis, they could not pinpoint the problem, just wanted to start replacing components beginning with first O2 sensor for 185.00. I declined and decided to just pay the 95 Diagnostic fee, and then took car home. Did not want it to become a money pit.

Replaced the two sensors myself, which kept it from totally stalling in traffic, which was a big improvement - not having to ditch the car and all, but still had annoying hesitation. Just swapped old sensors for new recommended NTK/Denso sensors to try. Got my fingers crossed!!
Old 02-28-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

I'd be driving it around with a scanner and maybe some test equipment on it to see what the computer thinks is going on when it acts up.
Old 03-04-2013
Registered!!

Thumbs up Re: 2001 EX Hesitates/Stalls

Originally Posted by ezone
I'd be driving it around with a scanner and maybe some test equipment on it to see what the computer thinks is going on when it acts up.
I replaced the other O2 sensors I got initially with NTK and Denso units, and now the car runs great!!!