Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

No beeping on door lock

Old 10-25-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
seahorse12 is an unknown quantity at this point
No beeping on door lock

Hi,
I just got some bodywork done on the front end of my car (bumper, hood, grill replaced)...minor wreck but wanted to get it all fixed up nice.

Anyways, looks like now my door alarm wont beep no more. It works. I can lock it with the button on the key but no sound when I press it twice. Can it have anything to do with the body work done on the car? They did replace the hood and the latch for the hood

Any ideas?

Thank you.
Old 10-25-2012
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light
Re: No beeping on door lock

you mean the horn beep?

does the horn work when you press it on the steering wheel?

if not, maybe the horn itself is damaged or the wiring to it
Old 10-26-2012
Registered!!

No not the horn. The small sound that you get when u press the door lock twice. The one that tells you that the doors are locked...that sound Im talking about
Old 10-26-2012
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

That sound IS from the horn.

Do you have factory alarm ? Does it arm when locking ?

Do the parking/tail/licence lights flash when locking ?

And yes, double check the horns operation.
Old 10-26-2012
Registered!!

mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by seahorse12
No not the horn. The small sound that you get when u press the door lock twice. The one that tells you that the doors are locked...that sound Im talking about
that sound DOES come from your horn!

press the horn on your steering wheel, does it work? my guess is no
Old 10-28-2012
Registered!!

You are right...the horn doesnt work as well...Sorry didnt notice before....brake lights are fine. I think even the mechanic did not notice the horn...So is this an easy enough fix that I can do? I would like to fix it myself...Can you guys direct me as to what should i be checking for other than the fuse boxes
Old 10-28-2012
Please, DubTee is my father, call me Dub

dubtee1480 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mikey1
the horn itself is damaged or the wiring to it
this
Old 10-29-2012
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

With engine off and at quiet location...listen for a clicking noise when attempting to blow the horn. (horn relay)
Old 10-29-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by seahorse12
You are right...the horn doesnt work as well...Sorry didnt notice before....brake lights are fine. I think even the mechanic did not notice the horn...So is this an easy enough fix that I can do? I would like to fix it myself...Can you guys direct me as to what should i be checking for other than the fuse boxes
if you have a voltmeter you can unplug the wiring to the horn, check the voltage there while another person is pushing the horn on the steering wheel,

when they push the horn the voltage should jump up to 12+ volts (whatever your battery voltage is),

if this test turns out positive, then your horn itself is defective, probably happened in the accident and nobody noticed,

if the test is negative, check for a blown fuse or faulty wiring,

could also be the horn switch itself on the steering wheel, however that is alot less likely,
Old 11-05-2012
Registered!!

Thank you for the response....

So i checked and noticed that the horn itself was damaged. Replaced it and works fine. Now just yesterday, ac stopped working. Fan is blowing air but not cold. If i turn to heat i get warm air (I really think it was working even after the accident, till like last wk..though now Im having seconds thoughts about pretty much everything). Checked freon level and looks like okay...actually looks like a lot on the low line...but i didnt fill it or change it....
After the crash, radiator and condensor were a little bent but they were working so i didnt replace them....but now something has happened....

I dont hear no click sound when i turn the ac on, so looks like the compressor is not engaging??

Can someone please advise on what should i be checking? How can i know if compressor is okay....or what is wrong with ac??

Thanks a lot

Last edited by seahorse12; 11-05-2012 at 12:52 PM. Reason: forgot something
Old 11-05-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Checked freon level and looks like okay...actually looks like a lot on the low line...
This HAS to be a good story.

This should be an insurance and shop matter.
The job, apparently, is not finished.
Same with the horn, that was accident damage.
Old 11-05-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
This HAS to be a good story.

This should be an insurance and shop matter.
The job, apparently, is not finished.
Same with the horn, that was accident damage.
agreed,

this should all be taken care of under your insurance claim, that is what you are paying them for,....if they missed a damaged horn, that makes me wonder what else they might have missed,

take your car back to them and tell them you want your car to be repaired till its in the condition it was previously to the accident, thats what you are paying them for and that is their job!!!
Old 02-24-2017
Registered!!

Maharett is an unknown quantity at this point

I know this thread is dead but I'm hoping someone can help me here with this issue.
I have a 2002 Honda Civic Ex. Recently had the window regulator for the driver side window replaced and ever since then my car no longer beeps when I hit the lock remote twice. I suspect it's an issue within the door itself due to shotty workmanship from the mechanic. Also since then when I push the actual door lock button down manually it no longer locks all the doors. (As a side note ive also noticed that the mirror adjust button no longer allows me to shift the exterior mirror at all, not really 100% sure if this worked prior to the molestation of my car)
Factory alarm/locking system
Fuses have been checked
All door sensors have been cleaned
Horn does work when pushed
Click sound for sending the signal to the horn when the lock remote button is pushed twice can be heard
No hidden button under the steering wheel or near the hood latch
Tried the push and hold the lock button trick on the remote (no go)
Tried the hold lock and unlock button on the remote as well (same results)
Brought it back to the shady mechanic and after an hour or so of trouble shooting he gave up and insisted it's not supposed to beep.. Nor are the other locks supposed to engage when the driver side is manually pressed down weather or not the car is on.. I've had this car since 2005 and I love it dearly, I know what features it's has and hasn't had very well in that timeframe. Please I hope someone can help!
Old 02-24-2017
Registered!!

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts
NDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of light

I was going to suggest you check to make sure all doors, hood (and trunk too I believe) are shut completely before trying again but you mention the power mirror not working too. This leads me to believe that the you may have a short in the wires to the driver's door (especially if you can only adjust the passenger mirror and NOT the driver's side). Area to inspect is the junction between driver's door and chassis under the rubber conduit. Peel it back and start testing.
Old 02-24-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

due to shotty workmanship from the mechanic. Also since then when I push the actual door lock button down manually it no longer locks all the doors. (As a side note ive also noticed that the mirror adjust button no longer allows me to shift the exterior mirror at all, not really 100% sure if this worked prior to the molestation of my car)
Check fuses in booth fuse boxes....

Remove door panel.....figure out if Mr. Goodpliers left stuff unplugged or butchered wiring in the door.
There should be two connectors on the door latch, I'd wonder if at least one was left unplugged....or has damaged wires.....maybe got caught in a panel screw or something.

Draping the power mirror harness under the glass was a common mistake on some cars (can't remember if that applies to yours) and that would damage the harness when the glass was lowered. At any rate, you will be able to see the mirror wiring when you get the door panel off.
Old 02-27-2017
Registered!!

Maharett is an unknown quantity at this point

(especially if you can only adjust the passenger mirror and NOT the driver's side).

It's actually both mirrors that I can no longer adjust

And I checked and replaced both sets of fuses (just in case) still no luck. I think you are correct though and it's time to just take the door panel off and take a look at what exactly they touched.

I'm sure i'll have an update or more questions soon. Thanks for the tips!

The emotes/smilies it lets you add reminded me of something I heard someone say once I thought you'd get a kick out of it.
"Something's wrong my submarine light is on in my car.."