Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Loss of all electrical power. battery and alternator are good

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
igokom10 is an unknown quantity at this point
Loss of all electrical power. battery and alternator are good

2002 Honda civic Lx
4dr, 5sp manual

Hi guys, first civic and so far its been great until yesterday.
I was driving at night and all of a sudden i lose all electrical power (dash lights, ac, radio, headlights, everything) for sec, a few sec later same thing happens, car did not stall. I pulled over ASAP. as it was parked it kept loosing all electrical power on and off a few times but the car never stalled. After a few minutes of waiting i started driving again and it was fine. Drove it again today, (about 100 miles) went somewhere and when i got out to start the car everything was ok. Then about 2 seconds after i started it, i lost all electrical power and a few seconds later the car stalled. I tried multiple times to start it but no luck. The green key symbol to the left of the dash is blinks despite nothing else working. Everytime a light is supposed to turn on (like opening a door or attempt to turn on headlight) i hear a clicking noise from the right side of the dashboard. Also when i try to start the car i hear the same noise. Its almost as though the electricity makes it to a certain spot and just stops?...When i try to start it absolutely nothing happens except for that click and the stupid green key light is on at times. I know the battery and alternator are good because like i said it started fine and then it died, and if it was the alternator the lights would die as quickly as they did it would take a while. Anybody have any input? I need the car back on the road ASAP, and i would really appreciate any help. THank you
Old 10-17-2012
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Loss of all electrical power. battery and alternator are good

loose battery cables?

check the connection where the ground from the battery connects to the frame, is it loose or rusted away?

also check any other ground straps/connections, like the one near the rad that goes to the thermostat
Old 10-17-2012
Registered!!

igokom10 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mikey1
loose battery cables?

check the connection where the ground from the battery connects to the frame, is it loose or rusted away?

also check any other ground straps/connections, like the one near the rad that goes to the thermostat
Battery terminals are tight. Funny that you mention the ground cables, when I bought the car I noticed the ground wire near the rad to be very flimsy and actually have some year marks but didn't think much of it. Will a bad ground go as far as not being able to start the car? Thank you
Old 10-18-2012
2001 Civic LX Sedan

Biscuit will become famous soon enoughBiscuit will become famous soon enough

Search multiplexer failure. You will find your answer.