Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Replacing door locks on 2003 lx coupe

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rickmasta is an unknown quantity at this point
Replacing door locks on 2003 lx coupe

Hey guys, I just purchased a 2003 lx coupe. When we reached home with the car, when putting the key into the car, we may have broken the driver side lock, and the key doesn't enter the passenger side at all. The key works perfectly in the engine and the trunk, so we just opened the trunk took the back seats down and unlocked the car through there, but now we need to replace the door locks.

How can I replace the door locks? If possible I would like to have the engine, doors, and trunk all use the same key. I did some searching around the forums and couldn't find exactly what I was looking for.

Also, the key fob provided to us doesn't seem to work, and it's an aftermarket key fob that I cannot seem to find any information on how to program it, any suggestions?

Name:  uZD0G.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  310.1 KB Name:  MUTbA.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  338.5 KB
Old 09-09-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Replacing door locks on 2003 lx coupe

Get under the dash and locate the aftermarket alarm/keyless control box. Google the mfr or any ID numbers on it. Most companies have websites, you can get all sorts of info.

Or go to your local stereo and accessory shop and buy a new keyless system.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the locks, first try squirting a bunch of penetrating oil into them (use the skinny red straw), and work the key a zillion times. Good chance they are stuck from non-use, or just worn out.
Or damaged from being stuck and having a key brutally shoved into them.

You have the "sidewinder" keys, right? The dealer is probably the ONLY place that has the tumblers to re-key the lock cylinders. I KNOW the lock shops here do not have tumblers and all they can do is remove the offending pieces. (By the time they are done removing the offending parts, a screwdriver will open your door.)
We have the kit with tons of tumblers for sidewinder locks, and several door lock cylinder blank barrels.
Not all techs can do the locks, I am the only one that does them on a regular basis at the shop I work in.

Here is the bulletin about rekeying the locks, if your local dealer stares at you like you have two heads you can show it to them: http://www.skidmore.edu/~pdwyer/e/files/tsb/a03-068.pdf

If they swear they don't have the kit to do the work, go to the parts department and ask them, or ask the techs.
If still no joy, call the next closest dealer, start the process over again. Someone will have it and will gladly take your money to solve your problems.

The price should go lower if you do more of the work.
Pull out the locks yourself if you can do the work. Bulletin above has some instructions.
If you can carry the lock cylinders in, that should save a ton of coin for tech labor right there. It is a PITA to get those out of the doors on many of the cars.

HTH
Old 09-15-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Get under the dash and locate the aftermarket alarm/keyless control box. Google the mfr or any ID numbers on it. Most companies have websites, you can get all sorts of info.

Or go to your local stereo and accessory shop and buy a new keyless system.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the locks, first try squirting a bunch of penetrating oil into them (use the skinny red straw), and work the key a zillion times. Good chance they are stuck from non-use, or just worn out.
Or damaged from being stuck and having a key brutally shoved into them.

You have the "sidewinder" keys, right? The dealer is probably the ONLY place that has the tumblers to re-key the lock cylinders. I KNOW the lock shops here do not have tumblers and all they can do is remove the offending pieces. (By the time they are done removing the offending parts, a screwdriver will open your door.)
We have the kit with tons of tumblers for sidewinder locks, and several door lock cylinder blank barrels.
Not all techs can do the locks, I am the only one that does them on a regular basis at the shop I work in.

Here is the bulletin about rekeying the locks, if your local dealer stares at you like you have two heads you can show it to them: http://www.skidmore.edu/~pdwyer/e/files/tsb/a03-068.pdf

If they swear they don't have the kit to do the work, go to the parts department and ask them, or ask the techs.
If still no joy, call the next closest dealer, start the process over again. Someone will have it and will gladly take your money to solve your problems.

The price should go lower if you do more of the work.
Pull out the locks yourself if you can do the work. Bulletin above has some instructions.
If you can carry the lock cylinders in, that should save a ton of coin for tech labor right there. It is a PITA to get those out of the doors on many of the cars.

HTH
Thank you for this information.

So, unless we're looking in all the wrong places it seems as if this car doesn't have any alarm system at all. We cannot find any aftermarket alarm system in it, and I don't even believe it has Honda's Alarm system. The only light that blinks when the car is off is the Radio's security system.

We might have to install one ourselves.
Old 09-15-2012
Registered!!

Yikes 4407 is an unknown quantity at this point

Try eBay I purchased a hole set which include the looks for both doors ,trunk ,ignition, and the lever for the trunk lock for a cool price of 85 dollars .i did not change the ign because it worked fine but went a head and installed the door and the trunk lock inside ( next to the driver side ) and the outside trunk try your local junk yard if no luck on eBay
Old 09-15-2012

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rickmasta
So, unless we're looking in all the wrong places it seems as if this car doesn't have any alarm system at all. We cannot find any aftermarket alarm system in it, and I don't even believe it has Honda's Alarm system.
That remote fob you pictured in your post goes to SOMETHING. Can you go back and ask the seller about it?

An aftermarket unit might have some components that look like these (random pic from a GIS) An alarm control unit typically is about 3"x5":

Got any of these stuffed up under the dash? How about a small siren stuck in the engine compartment?
(Once a person is used to seeing what factory wiring and parts all look like, it becomes much easier to spot the things that didn't come from the factory.)

On an LX of that year in the USA market, the car would not have been factory equipped with keyless or security. Those were two separate dealer accessory kits.
The complete keyless kit is no longer available through the dealer catalog.

You could check out these installation instructions, then dig around in your car to see if the keyless accessory kit was ever installed by a dealer....If you have the kit already installed in the car, you can buy new fobs and program them yourself.
http://www.collegehillshonda.com/ins...dr/keyless.pdf

HTH
Old 09-25-2012
Registered!!

That remote fob you pictured in your post goes to SOMETHING. Can you go back and ask the seller about it?

An aftermarket unit might have some components that look like these (random pic from a GIS) An alarm control unit typically is about 3"x5":

Got any of these stuffed up under the dash? How about a small siren stuck in the engine compartment?
(Once a person is used to seeing what factory wiring and parts all look like, it becomes much easier to spot the things that didn't come from the factory.)

On an LX of that year in the USA market, the car would not have been factory equipped with keyless or security. Those were two separate dealer accessory kits.
The complete keyless kit is no longer available through the dealer catalog.

You could check out these installation instructions, then dig around in your car to see if the keyless accessory kit was ever installed by a dealer....If you have the kit already installed in the car, you can buy new fobs and program them yourself.
http://www.collegehillshonda.com/ins...dr/keyless.pdf

HTH
Yeah, this car has no alarm system at all. I just stepped into a local car electronics shop supposedly they're viper certified. They say to install a viper system it will be at least $650. How does that price look? Is there any alarm you can suggest?
Old 09-25-2012

They say to install a viper system it will be at least $650. How does that price look? Is there any alarm you can suggest?
They sound awful darn proud of that VViper System.
Is the whole car even worth that amount? JEEZ!

Alarms/keyless/remote start systems are everywhere, and quality can be anything from "crap" to "golden".

Don't buy a remote start if all you want is keyless entry.
Know what I mean?
Read carefully before you buy.

Shop around. Find something that suits your needs. Research online once you find something you think you like.
We have multiple "aftermarket installer" shops here.

Or DIY?

I think I have something like a Pyramid brand alarm in my truck. Probably 15 years old now. Was about $100 back then, cash and carry. DIY install, of course.
Still works, but the fobs are worn out.
Old 09-28-2012
Registered!!

They sound awful darn proud of that VViper System.
Is the whole car even worth that amount? JEEZ!

Alarms/keyless/remote start systems are everywhere, and quality can be anything from "crap" to "golden".

Don't buy a remote start if all you want is keyless entry.
Know what I mean?
Read carefully before you buy.

Shop around. Find something that suits your needs. Research online once you find something you think you like.
We have multiple "aftermarket installer" shops here.

Or DIY?

I think I have something like a Pyramid brand alarm in my truck. Probably 15 years old now. Was about $100 back then, cash and carry. DIY install, of course.
Still works, but the fobs are worn out.
I hear installing Alarm systems is highly recommended against doing it yourself.
Old 09-28-2012

I hear installing Alarm systems is highly recommended against doing it yourself.
I hear a lot of people talk that way about things they have never tried.
And never will try.
They talked themselves out of it before it could ever happen.

If someone told me that, I'd consider it to be a challenge....one that they will lose.

You skeered? I ain't skeered.

I would think that if one can figure out how to wire up a car stereo using only wiring schematics, that an alarm or keyless wouldn't be much different.

Of course, if you aren't comfortable with wiring, then have a pro do it.
I have no idea what sort of work you are comfortable with doing.