Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Engines movements when shifting

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thaik will become famous soon enoughThaik will become famous soon enough
Engines movements when shifting

As the title implies, I have a problem with my engine that keeps moving around when I shift, especially when I shift fast. When shifting, I can even feel sometime the shift leakage sticking. How should I put it, the engine gets in the way of my shifting because it's moving back and forth and therefore not allowing the shifting linkage to move freely and smoothly.

I've already replaced most of my engine mounts, 3 of them, front, side and transmission mount. But I have to mention that 2 of them are jobber (cheap aftermarket ones). The rear one haven't been replaced yet, no crack and still stiffer than that cheap aftermarket one. Transmission mount is a brand new OEM part.

Even when the engine is not connected to the transmission, the shifter binds when I shift. Say I come to a stop, and I downshift from second to first but still keeping the clutch pushed in until I stop, the shifter binds when going from second gear to first.

I know I also have an engine issue, a power issue, meaning that engine jerks a lot when shifting, therefore putting more stress on the mounts. Because of that, I now only shift slowly because it would unbearable not to do so.

I said the engine moves a lot, but when I open the hood and filmed the engine bay and played with the clutch, the engine does not move that much, only about 1 inch or so.

There are only four mounts supporting the engine right? Because I can't imagine this would happen when the engine is well supported as it is. A transmission issue? I would not think so, when it doesn't bind, the shifting is really smooth, putting aside when I shift into first and reverse, it sometimes does go in, but I heard it's normal for our civic.

Note that this binding problem happens most of the time when the engine is warm, hot. When it is, engine loses power, jerks more due to insufficient power and thus, makes the engine put more stress on the mounts.

To sum up, would it be a mount issue since most of them aren't OEM part, or is the transmission worn out?

Thanks
Old 08-09-2012
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of
Re: Engines movements when shifting

subframe inspection?
I found a front control arm cracked once...
Old 08-10-2012
Registered!!

I already replaced the front LCA bushings by ES polyurethane ones.

Or is it the subframe itself? Can a subframe actually go out? I believe not unless you had a really bad accident.
Old 08-10-2012
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

well, i never thought my LCA would ever crack without a real hard shock, but i had soem eventual "clanck" when going over some small expansion joints. nothing else was pointing to an issue.

this is what i found when i inspected more closely - this is in the upper side.

Name:  DSC00017.jpg
Views: 1122
Size:  117.1 KB

I am not saying it's definitely it, nor the subframe.

but i do think at this point a throughly inspection would be warranted...
I was surprised when i found the crack.

it could be anything at this point, considering all the issues you are having.

Sorry, sl33pyriceboy, i know this is the 3rd time i am posting the same picture :P
Old 08-11-2012
Registered!!

Thanks sdaidoji