Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

A/T problems on 2005 LX

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ominousnimbus is an unknown quantity at this point
A/T problems on 2005 LX

I started noticing some slipping, especially from 2nd-3rd after a cold start, a few months back. Since then, the general drivability has declined, with increasingly rough gear changes. It's now routine for me to hit 4-5krpm while accelerating before it will shift 2nd->3rd or 3rd->4th. I now believe tranny issues are the likely explanation for the poor highway mileage I described in my earlier thread.

Took it into the dealer once the slipping became noticeable. They diagnosed the problem as "internal transmission failure" and recommended a rebuild to the tune of $3k. However, no codes are being thrown, which according to my local mechanic is cause to question that conclusion. He changed the ATF (which was due anyway), but it didn't seem to help at all.

Should I be getting a check engine light for an "internal tranny failure?"

Is it correct to assume that if a fluid change didn't help, there's nothing else that can be done short of a rebuild/replacement?

If it is indeed failing, what's the likelihood that a rebuild would even be worth it? I've got 120k on the car. Skimming other A/T threads in this subforum, I see a couple people suggesting rebuilds aren't likely to last particularly long, in which case I surely ought to cut my losses and find something else now rather than dumping 3 Gs into my hail-damaged clunker.

Out of curiosity, has anyone here had a rebuilt A/T last 100k+?
Old 08-08-2012
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
johndeerebones is a jewel in the roughjohndeerebones is a jewel in the roughjohndeerebones is a jewel in the rough
Re: A/T problems on 2005 LX

Look at 01civilian's post a couple lines down. I posted a link to my old thread in it. In short if you are doin the work, yes it is worth it. To have a minimum wage making "mechanic" at a shop rebuild it, no way. Not to mention that is up to 2 grand or so. To have the Honda guys put a reman in it you are looking at 3 to 4k. To answer your question though, a good rebuild should last a long time, a typical tranny shop employs shade trees and the rebuilds usually last no time before they have problems. I did my own. It no has 34k miles on the rebuild, doesn't leak, shifts perfect, obviously the tranny is doing something right, I am getting 34+ mpgs too. So to answer your question, a good rebuild is possible, but not likely. A reman is likely not worth it...
Old 08-08-2012
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: A/T problems on 2005 LX

since most used trans will already be defective, doesnt make sense to swap in a different trans from a newer car. eventually it will have the same issues between 10-100k miles normally. if you cant rebuild the trans yourself (no shame, its one of the hardest parts of a car to work on), then cut your losses and get out. it will only turn into a money pit if you have a shop do it, and you will be in there all the time using up what little warranty they give you (usually 1-2 yrs, but you will be in every few months). if you are slipping more than 500rpms between gear shifts, then its time to prepare for the car to die completely very soon. if it was only slipping a little, you may have lots of life in it. but when it starts slipping when hot, youre pretty much screwed. might last a few weeks or a few months.