Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

New member with tranny issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
01civilian is an unknown quantity at this point
New member with tranny issues

Hello. I am a new member hoping for some help in this forum.

Story goes like this - bought a used 01 honda civic DX model. Drove it for 3 days. All of a sudden transmission won`t shift. Had trouble getting into 2nd and 3rd. Didn`t try to go any higher. Drove it home, stop and start and put it up on the hoist.

OBDII says: po730 and po740

Anybody had a similar experience or similar codes how did you fix

some talk was had about changing the whole transmission so I started looking without much luck. I seem to be having an easier time finding VTEC transmissions, but im unsure as to whether these will bolt up to my base model 1.7

Any suggestions as to interchangeable transmissions, or if one models transmissions runs better than another.

I know there is a lot of questions here, but any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-07-2012
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
johndeerebones is a jewel in the roughjohndeerebones is a jewel in the roughjohndeerebones is a jewel in the rough
Re: New member with tranny issues

I am assuming its an auto? Those are transmission codes.
Any of them will bolt up, they have different gear ratios depending on what they came out off. Look up my thread a little over a year ago. I rebuilt my own. (I realize that isn't even an option for most people), but expect to spend some coin wether you buy another and have it put in or have it rebuilt. Did you buy it from a dealer or individual?
Old 08-07-2012
2001 Civic LX Sedan

Biscuit will become famous soon enoughBiscuit will become famous soon enough

Do you have a thread on here about your rebuild?
If so I would love to see the procedure.

Nathan
Old 08-07-2012
Registered!!

Yes, running an auto, bought it from an individual in Thunder Bay, Ontario.

Talked about doing a rebuild too. Have heard rumours that it is quite difficult, but we found a kit for it for $170, which doesn't sound bad to me.

How bad is the rebuild? Does it require any specialty tools?

I found a transmission with 54,000km for $ 1000. My current one has 240,000km. I'm settlign an insurance claim from my previous accord, so I am certainly willing to dish out the money is the used one is better. Any thoughts as to what's the better option?
Old 08-07-2012
Registered!!

johndeerebones is a jewel in the roughjohndeerebones is a jewel in the roughjohndeerebones is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Biscuit
Do you have a thread on here about your rebuild?
If so I would love to see the procedure.

Nathan
Ya, it is a pain in the butt
Old 08-07-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by 01civilian
Yes, running an auto, bought it from an individual in Thunder Bay, Ontario.

Talked about doing a rebuild too. Have heard rumours that it is quite difficult, but we found a kit for it for $170, which doesn't sound bad to me.

How bad is the rebuild? Does it require any specialty tools?

I found a transmission with 54,000km for $ 1000. My current one has 240,000km. I'm settlign an insurance claim from my previous accord, so I am certainly willing to dish out the money is the used one is better. Any thoughts as to what's the better option?
If you do buy a used one, rebuild it too. These transmissions had alot of troubles, especially the older ones...

I didn't use any special tool, sure there are some, but they aren't necessary. Yes the rebuild was a major pain in the butt. (See my thread so you know what to watch for.) The good part is with a new kit, new convertor etc I had only 4 or 500 dollars in it. A lot of labor, but not alot of money. Apparently it worked, it has 34k on the rebuild now...

clicky clicky

Read down, I didn't start it, but I definately high jacked it To say they are a pain is the truth though, apparently me and one other guy are the only two to do it ourselves...
Old 08-07-2012
Registered!!

Other concern with the different gear ratios is that the car won't shift properly. Husband seems to think that the computer won't recognize the transmission and won't shift properly with the vtec tranny?

Would it be a direct swap with a vtec tranny? what other kind of complications might be involved.

The train of thought here is that the vtec tranny may be the better one as it is built to handle higher RPM's and more horsepower ....