Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Diagnose This Engine Sound (Video w/ sound Included)

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hoac is an unknown quantity at this point
Diagnose This Engine Sound (Video w/ sound Included)

Hey,
long time lurker here...

I have been having this rattling/clicking noise from the engine bay for the last months. Anyone know what it could be from experience???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6sGQ...f0syZ_t9gV3D8w

Engine noise on iddle started a month ago.. Timing belt changed last year. I remember the mechanics telling me that they used a bearing piece lying around in the garage. Sound follows the engine revolution and disapear around 3k rpm.

Thanks!
Old 05-11-2012
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold
Re: Diagnose This Engine Sound (Video w/ sound Included)

Sounds like it could be a pully. Did they change the tensioner when they did the belt?
Old 05-11-2012
Registered!!

I'm pretty sure they didn't touch the tensioner,said it was still in good condition.. I have about 100k miles on the car. Should I consider nto driving the car until it's
Fixed?
Old 05-11-2012
Prelude Owner

GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

If it is the tensioner pulley then it could break your timing belt which could do some damage. It's weird that it disappears around 3k though! Maybe someone has had a similiar sound.
Old 05-11-2012
Registered!!

I Suppose I do not hear the sound above 3k because de actual engine sound ''overpowers'' it. I can hear it when I shift and press clutch thought.

What do I have to look for when I remove the belt covers?
Old 05-11-2012
Prelude Owner

Yea the engine probably is louder...I don't know if there is anyway to tell unless it is visually wobbling. You can disconnect the power steering belt and alternator belt and see if it goes away to rule out the other pulleys. Just don't leave the alt belt off for long so you don't kill your battery.
Old 05-12-2012
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
scooty is on a distinguished road

Man what the heck kind of shady *** mechanic do you go to that uses random bearing pieces lying around? The only bearing involved with a timing belt change is in the tensioner and if that was not touched, ask him where he installed this bearing that was lying around.

The sound could be ac clutch bearing or alternator or power steering. Remove both accessory belts and spin each pulley by hand to narrow it down.
Old 07-31-2012
Registered!!

Smile Re: Diagnose This Engine Sound (Video w/ sound Included)

Finally solved the problem. Check this youtube video for explanation: [YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9TDHevZgQU&[/YOUTUBE]

Turns out that the mounting bolt of the Alternator was loose...