Go Back   Honda Civic Forum > Honda Civics by Generation > 7th Gen > Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum
Register Forgot Password?

Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Welcome to civicforums.com!
Welcome to civicforums.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to start new topics, reply to conversations, privately message other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join civicforums.com today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-06-2012   #1
Registered!!

Points: 565, Level: 11 Points: 565, Level: 11 Points: 565, Level: 11
Level up: 30%, 35 Points needed
Level up: 30% Level up: 30% Level up: 30%
Activity: 2.9%
Activity: 2.9% Activity: 2.9% Activity: 2.9%
thatcarpetguy is an unknown quantity at this point
2002 Honda Civic EX Timing Belt Change

I just bought my mother-in-laws 2002 Honda Civic. It only has 78,000 miles on it. I debated on where or not to do a timing belt replacement b/c of low miles. Since it is past the 7 year mark and well on its way past 10 years. I decided to do a DIY replacement.

My progress thus far is I have gotten the bolt off. I can see the timing belt and it looks like it is in great condition. I suppose it should still be replaced???

I am having problems finding the pointer on oil pump mark. I can't seem to be able to locate it??

Also I bought a timing belt from NAPA . The man at the store seemed unsure if this was the exact one needed. It is Mitsuboshi CD312. I have no idea is OE or not. Any suggestions??
thatcarpetguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012   #2
7th Gen Civic DIY Enthusiast!

Points: 4,925, Level: 44 Points: 4,925, Level: 44 Points: 4,925, Level: 44
Level up: 88%, 25 Points needed
Level up: 88% Level up: 88% Level up: 88%
Activity: 22.2%
Activity: 22.2% Activity: 22.2% Activity: 22.2%
Matt_75 is a jewel in the rough Matt_75 is a jewel in the rough Matt_75 is a jewel in the rough Matt_75 is a jewel in the rough
Re: 2002 Honda Civic EX Timing Belt Change

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatcarpetguy View Post
I just bought my mother-in-laws 2002 Honda Civic. It only has 78,000 miles on it. I debated on where or not to do a timing belt replacement b/c of low miles. Since it is past the 7 year mark and well on its way past 10 years. I decided to do a DIY replacement.

My progress thus far is I have gotten the bolt off. I can see the timing belt and it looks like it is in great condition. I suppose it should still be replaced???

I am having problems finding the pointer on oil pump mark. I can't seem to be able to locate it??

Also I bought a timing belt from NAPA . The man at the store seemed unsure if this was the exact one needed. It is Mitsuboshi CD312. I have no idea is OE or not. Any suggestions??
I did my 02 EX with just about the same amount of miles at the 9 year mark. I went with OE replacement parts bought online. I replaced the drive belts, timing belt, water pump, timing belt pulley and spring, cam and crank seals. I also replaced the valve cover gasket and spark plug tube seals. I checked my valve clearances as well since I was already there. Everything looked fine when I replaced them. That's why they call it preventive maintenance. Things should be replaced before they go bad, not after when they may cause massive amounts of damage.

If I were you I would have gotten all this material together before starting the job.

You may need to clean the pump off to find it, but the arrow for TDC is part of the oil pump casting. There is just a line notch on the crank piece that the belt rides on.

Do a search for 7th gen timing belt change on youtube. One guy has an OK video on how to change the timing belt and what to look for. I'd never follow it, but then again I knew what I was doing when I did my timing belt and associated components.

Watch out for that recessed timing belt cover bolt. I broke my lower timing belt cover because I didn't get that bolt out. So did the guy in the video, but he never realized it.

Good luck!

Last edited by Matt_75; 05-06-2012 at 09:28 PM.
Matt_75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012   #3
Registered!!

Points: 5,512, Level: 47 Points: 5,512, Level: 47 Points: 5,512, Level: 47
Level up: 81%, 38 Points needed
Level up: 81% Level up: 81% Level up: 81%
Activity: 4.2%
Activity: 4.2% Activity: 4.2% Activity: 4.2%
scooty is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatcarpetguy View Post
STOP! don't go any further! return that belt to NAPA. This is a critical part of your motor and you don't want to buy it from some parts store guy who can't look stuff up on computers. I never trust any part store guy to look up stuff for me. Especially NAPA, everyone working there seem to be particularly retarded, especially when it comes to import stuff.

Get a HONDA belt. There are a few websites where you can get original OEM stuff at reasonable prices.
scooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012   #4
Administrative Rice. WAT?!
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Points: 181,260, Level: 100 Points: 181,260, Level: 100 Points: 181,260, Level: 100
Level up: 0%, 0 Points needed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
xRiCeBoYx has much to be proud of xRiCeBoYx has much to be proud of xRiCeBoYx has much to be proud of xRiCeBoYx has much to be proud of xRiCeBoYx has much to be proud of xRiCeBoYx has much to be proud of xRiCeBoYx has much to be proud of xRiCeBoYx has much to be proud of xRiCeBoYx has much to be proud of xRiCeBoYx has much to be proud of xRiCeBoYx has much to be proud of
joshua.cadavona My Twitter Username Not pro enough for Linkedin Too po' for this isht xRiCeBoYx
Send a message via AIM to xRiCeBoYx

hondapartscheap.com and hondaautomotiveparts.com is where I order OEM stuff from

Quote:
Originally Posted by xRiCeBoYx View Post
You gay Kenny.. so gay.. This coming from a dude that was in the Navy.. hahahahaha..
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueEM2 View Post
It will forever be Kenny' fault. He's like the grim reaper to Civics.
xRiCeBoYx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012   #5
Whachya lookin at?

Points: 85,524, Level: 100 Points: 85,524, Level: 100 Points: 85,524, Level: 100
Level up: 0%, 0 Points needed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 80.0%
Activity: 80.0% Activity: 80.0% Activity: 80.0%
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute
Dont think so WTF is twitter? Pardon? Im so confused... what box? ...

Napa is fine. Most belts you get from Honda dealerships tend to be aftermarket anyway. Mitsubishi is a good brand.

Lower Ball Joint DIY
How to set up TDC during timing belt install
Overheating? Here is why.
Head gasket + timing belt DIY! Incomplete but useful!

With how old this forum is, if everyone searched... Nobody would post any more
BlueEM2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012
CivicForums
Honda Civic

Paid Advertisement

Tags
02 , 2002 , adjust , belt , change , civic , cost , honda , napa , problems , replace , replacement , starting , timer , timing