Go Back   Honda Civic Forum > Honda Civics by Generation > 7th Gen > Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum
Register Forgot Password?

Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Welcome to civicforums.com!
Welcome to civicforums.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to start new topics, reply to conversations, privately message other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join civicforums.com today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-03-2012   #1
Registered!!

Points: 2,142, Level: 27 Points: 2,142, Level: 27 Points: 2,142, Level: 27
Level up: 95%, 8 Points needed
Level up: 95% Level up: 95% Level up: 95%
Activity: 5.7%
Activity: 5.7% Activity: 5.7% Activity: 5.7%
em2maxamillian is an unknown quantity at this point
Cooling Fan Failure

I've noticed that while sitting in traffic (when the car is not moving), the air conditioning start to get warmer (it's still cool but not as cold as a moment earlier). I figured it might be the cooling fan malfunctionaing and found out that only one is on (running) when I turn the AC on. The fan on the left of the car operates, but the fan on the right does not turn on at all. I just wanted to know if BOTH fans are supposed to be running at the same time or do they work independently? Would this affect the cooling of the engine as well? I have not noticed any changed in engine temperature whether the car is moving to at a stand-still. Thanks guys! Hope I don't need a new fan...are they expensive?
em2maxamillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012   #2
"Witchcraft to the ignorant, simple science to the learned"

Location: Pissing off more people before 9am than most people do all day long.
Points: 62,736, Level: 100 Points: 62,736, Level: 100 Points: 62,736, Level: 100
Level up: 0%, 0 Points needed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 100.0%
Activity: 100.0% Activity: 100.0% Activity: 100.0%
ezone has a reputation beyond repute ezone has a reputation beyond repute ezone has a reputation beyond repute ezone has a reputation beyond repute ezone has a reputation beyond repute ezone has a reputation beyond repute ezone has a reputation beyond repute ezone has a reputation beyond repute ezone has a reputation beyond repute ezone has a reputation beyond repute ezone has a reputation beyond repute
LOL #youcantbeserious OMGWTFBBQ Seriously? I'm not 12. lookitmelookitmelookitmelookitmelookitme
Re: Cooling Fan Failure

I've noticed that while sitting in traffic (when the car is not moving), the air conditioning start to get warmer (it's still cool but not as cold as a moment earlier). I figured it might be the cooling fan malfunctionaing and found out that only one is on (running) when I turn the AC on.

Oooo, not good. Both should run.

The fan on the left of the car operates, but the fan on the right does not turn on at all.

Left and right on any car are always determined from sitting in the drivers seat.
Do you want to change this line now?

I just wanted to know if BOTH fans are supposed to be running at the same time

With the AC on, yes.

Would this affect the cooling of the engine as well?

Depends.

Hope I don't need a new fan...are they expensive?

Only if you are broke.

When a fan goes out, it usually blows its fuse. Check it. If it is blown, and there is no obvious wiring damage, you can probably assume it needs a fan motor.

Radiator fan:
http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...OR+%28DENSO%29

Condensor fan: http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...DENSER+%281%29

You should look up your own car, I just guessed at one. There may be multiple choices.

The radiator fan is usually the one in front of the trans, condensor fan is usually in front of the engine. You may be able to count the blades on the fan and compare to the pics too.

HTH
ezone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012
CivicForums
Honda Civic

Paid Advertisement

Tags
99 , ac , affecting , civic , cooling , fail , failing , failure , fan , fans , fix , honda , suppose , suppost , turn