Go Back   Honda Civic Forum > Honda Civics by Generation > 7th Gen > Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum
Register Forgot Password?
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Experience Used CarsGarageVendor Directory
Welcome to Honda Civic Forum

Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-29-2012   #1 (permalink)
Registered!!

Points: 34, Level: 1 Points: 34, Level: 1 Points: 34, Level: 1
Level up: 68%, 16 Points needed
Level up: 68% Level up: 68% Level up: 68%
Activity: 2.1%
Activity: 2.1% Activity: 2.1% Activity: 2.1%
BuffaloGil is an unknown quantity at this point
EGR removal - 2001 Honda Civic EX

*First post so bear with me please*

I have an '01 Honda Civic Ex that started showing an error code of P401, bad EGR valve. This caused me to fail inspection so took it to a shop and they couldnt get it to "unclog" so i took the car back from the shop and waited til i could get enough cash together to replace the valve.

About a week later i have a front end collision, front smashed but engine light is gone. Take it to the testing place and pass inspection so i figure the impact must have broken free enough carbon deposits to allow for better air flow (even the mechanic said this was a possibility).

Two week ago i notice the check engine light and intermittent flashing and slight but noticible misfires. Look up and see that it's probably the EGR causing a bad fuel/air mixture due to the previous issues with the valve. Now i want to pull off the valve myself and try to clean it out or even ultimately replace it. Problem is that i cannot even figure out how to get the bolts out.

Unlike other years the '01 bolts are tucked back and i have tried multiple tools to reach them. If i have to start taking stuff off the engine block, that's fine, but i would like to know 'What do i take off?'" I own a Haynes manual but it doesn't say how to go about getting the bolts off.

Sorry this long but thought you guys might like all the details. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thank you in advance.
BuffaloGil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012   #2 (permalink)
Gladiator School Alumnus

Location: Pissing off more people before 9am than most people do all day long.
Points: 59,288, Level: 100 Points: 59,288, Level: 100 Points: 59,288, Level: 100
Level up: 0%, 0 Points needed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 100.0%
Activity: 100.0% Activity: 100.0% Activity: 100.0%
ezone has a reputation beyond repute ezone has a reputation beyond repute ezone has a reputation beyond repute ezone has a reputation beyond repute ezone has a reputation beyond repute ezone has a reputation beyond repute ezone has a reputation beyond repute ezone has a reputation beyond repute ezone has a reputation beyond repute ezone has a reputation beyond repute ezone has a reputation beyond repute
LOL #youcantbeserious OMGWTFBBQ Seriously? I'm not 12. lookitmelookitmelookitmelookitmelookitme
Re: EGR removal - 2001 Honda Civic EX

P0401 is insufficient EGR flow.
Nothing about that says to replace the valve.
The passages are clogged.
They clog in the cast piece between the head and the intake manifold.

Your misfire code: Did this happen while driving, steady speed? Post the freeze frame data? Most likely this is caused by the EGR, 3 passages will be clogged up and one will be open. When the EGR is activated, all the flow goes to the open passage and kills that cylinder (misfire code).

Pull the intake, pull the EGR/injector plate, get busy cleaning the carbon out of it.

#7 is the part that needs cleaned, the individual passages and ports get clogged with carbon:
Click the image to open in full size.

The only thing I have found that fixes this is straight up elbow grease.
ezone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012
CivicForums
Honda Civic

Paid Advertisement

Tags
01 , 2001 , 2004 , bad , bolts , civic , delete , egr , erg , honda , intake , kit , manifold , problem , remove , valve