Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

02 Civic 5 spd to 6 spd manual trans swap??

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
galster69 is an unknown quantity at this point
02 Civic 5 spd to 6 spd manual trans swap??

Hi all,
I recently bought an 02 Civic EX Coupe with a 5 speed manual. It has started kicking out of 2nd gear at times when I'm keeping a constant low speed and not shifting in 2nd gear. I've read that these trannies are crap and would like to replace it soon. I also have found that my car tachs up to about 3700 rpms at 80 mph on the highway which is much higher than I'm comfortable with. Are there any "fairly simple" 6 spd manual swaps out there? If so, which transmission could I use and what additional parts or kits would I need to use with them? Thanks in advance!
Old 03-23-2012
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of
Re: 02 Civic 5 spd to 6 spd manual trans swap??

A 6 speed swap is not possible.
Old 03-23-2012
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,146 Likes on 801 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

unless you k-swap.. but a 6-speed d17? no so much
Old 03-23-2012
Registered!!

fsckewe is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MindBomber
A 6 speed swap is not possible.
Originally Posted by xRiCeBoYx
unless you k-swap.. but a 6-speed d17? no so much
Pardon my ignorance, but why not? Can I have the 25cent explanation as well, as I am a transmission idiot.
Old 03-23-2012
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

because there is no 6-spd D-series transmission to bolt it in. K-series have different mounting.
Old 03-24-2012
Registered!!

Are there no adapter plates or kits that could be used to install a 6 speed trans from a similar make, such as an Acura TSX?
Old 03-24-2012
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by galster69
Are there no adapter plates or kits that could be used to install a 6 speed trans from a similar make, such as an Acura TSX?
None. The d series is considered to be too low powered to need a 6 speed.

BTW: I drive at 75mph (3400rpm) all the time with no problem.
Old 03-24-2012
Registered!!

04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light

On top of that there is no benefits to having a 6 speed in a civic. Maybe a small bit of savings in gas, but even thats probably small to nothing.
Old 03-24-2012
Registered!!

lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by 04 Honda Civic
On top of that there is no benefits to having a 6 speed in a civic. Maybe a small bit of savings in gas, but even thats probably small to nothing.
Good point. My 2001 EX (VTEC) will still get 33mpg (with the A/C on) at 75mph (3400rpm) all day long. Not gonna get much better than that.
Old 03-25-2012
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

The only thing I could think to suggest would be swapping in an HX transmission or rebuilding with HX gears. Although the result wouldn't be a completely separate overdrive gear, you would have slightly more fuel efficient gear ratios.

A TSX (or any K-series) transmission could not really be made to work paired to a D-series engine or in a D-native car because the position of the engine and engine itself are to radically different. There would be a number of parts aside from just an adapter plate needed, the venture would not be practical..

People do swap from 5 to 6 speed in k-native cars all the time, but we don't have that option unfortunately. Excuse to k-swap I guess
Old 03-25-2012
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

i guess at this point we should spill out that the K-series, wich is the engine that have the 6-spd, have the exhaust on the back side towards the firewall, and even iof he did use a mating flange work out, he would have one speed forward abnd 6-speed to back-up... JK-series turn the other way the way they were designed compared to D-series.
Old 03-26-2012
Registered!!

donperry is an unknown quantity at this point

lol @ 1 speed fwd, 6 speed backup
Old 03-28-2012
Registered!!

Thanks for all the input guys! Guess I'll just deal with the high RPMs on the highway for now. It's my daily...and only...driver and I'll be driving on I-4 30 mins to and from work for awhile. As for the K swap...how difficult is it and what kind of gas mileage can I expect to get if I were to do it?
Old 03-28-2012
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

There was a bit of sarcasm in a k-swap suggestion.

It's not difficult, but expensive. You'd essentially be paying $5000-8000 to get less gas mileage.