Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Check Engine Light on!

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rahway09 is an unknown quantity at this point
Check Engine Light on!

Hey guys so about a week ago i was driving home and all of a sudden when i stepped on my brake the check engine turned on, the D started blinking, and the car wouldn't accelerate. so i was able to get home the next day i had work at 730am so i took my dads car to work so he was using my car and same thing was occuring so he was driving in D3 so when i came home i took the car to autozone and they plugged it into the machine and got error p1753 which is the solenoid valve so i took it to my mechanic and he reset the computer and said if the light came back on to call him, the next day it turned on and the next day i got the solenoid replaced (cost me 320.0(70 for install and 250 for solenoid)) so it was running perfectly the next day and now today i go turn my car on and the check engine light turns on, D is blinking again. so my dad called his mechanic and he says its the transmission. what do you guys think ? please help! i really dont feel like putting in so much money to find out its something else :/

Last edited by Rahway09; 03-04-2012 at 07:56 PM.
Old 03-04-2012
Registered!!

Re: Check Engine Light on!

BTW the car only has 101 k and its an 2002 honda civic ex
Old 03-04-2012
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

Blinking D indicates a transmission issue.

Check to see what the new code is.
Old 03-04-2012
Registered!!

MindBomber = So i just took it to autozone and got it diagnosed and it says the exact same error p1753 with possible causes being open or short circuit condition, poor electrical connection or faulty lockup solenoid a
Old 03-04-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

FTM:

DTC P1753: Problem in Torque Converter Clutch Solenoid Valve Circuit

Note:

This code is caused by an electrical circuit problem and cannot be caused by a mechanical problem in the transmission.

So for this code only, you have an electrical problem, not a transmission problem.
HTH
Old 03-04-2012
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

That's for the torque converter solenoid circuit.

Either your mechanic is incompetent or he's straight up lying to you:
Name:  P1753.jpg
Views: 1677
Size:  62.9 KB

Post up if you can operate a multi-meter and I can tell ya how to diagnose.
Old 03-04-2012
Registered!!

Ezone + lazlong = wat would u suggest i try and do?

Btw thanks guys for the info !
Old 03-04-2012
Registered!!

Lazlong= i can operate a multimeter lol
Old 03-04-2012

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

You could start with seeing what part really got changed, and see if it was NOT the correct part.

Double check for me, I'm pretty sure it is part #4 here
The solenoid in question retails for $35.
http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...VERTER+HOUSING
So I agree with lazlong. You need a better mechanic. Most likely either the solenoid is bad or you have a broken wire. I don't think other choices are very likely.

Solenoid is 12-25 ohms
One wire is grounded to the 10mm bolt next to the top radiator hose neck on the engine.
Other wire comes from the PCM.
I would check what I can from the engine compartment, then only as a last resort would I pull the PCM to measure and operate from there.
Old 03-04-2012
Registered!!

From the invoice he gave me its the solenoid,linear (dual) Part #90428D which i believe is the thing above where it says atm 2
Old 03-04-2012

Originally Posted by Rahway09
From the invoice he gave me its the solenoid,linear (dual) Part #90428D which i believe is the thing above where it says atm 2
Dude, that doesn't even RHYME with torque converter clutch solenoid.

Either your mechanic is incompetent or he's straight up lying to you:
I think it is the former.
You need a refund from the incorrect, ineffective repair, so you can afford the right repair. Good luck with that. I know it ain't going to happen.

It might not even need the TCC solenoid. There's a chance you could fix it with twisting wires and some black tape. LOL

Here's the other link with the Linear solenoids http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...ISSION+HOUSING

Something else here, I don't recall these transmissions defaulting to 3rd gear for this code. You could have something else going on causing the no power complaint. I could be completely wrong too.

HTH
Old 03-04-2012
Registered!!

hey i just went along with him since it was a solenoid he was replacing lol and yea he was my former mechanic im moving on to a more competent one! thanks guys! and yea he would be like oh yea i dont do refunds lol and ah ok tommorow after work im gonna use the multimeter and see and ill post back up! if not what do u guys think about taking it to a honda dealer for service ?
Old 03-04-2012
Registered!!

lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

I would look for an independent Honda mechanic first 'cause the dealer is usually very expensive.

As ezone stated above, check for bad wires/connections at the solenoid and a bad ground at the radiator support. Then check for 12-25 Ohms across the solenoid. If you get the correct Ohms then we're gonna have to diagnose at the PCM.
Old 03-04-2012

Go as far as you can with the DIY first.

Get other peoples opinions about shops and techs. Lots of people hate dealers, but they are supposed to be the one place that has someone that can solve problems. There may be only one though.
Most shops can't employ a full staff of top-gun talent.
Find a tech you can trust and stick with him.
Old 03-04-2012
Registered!!

lazlong= ok will do a close friend of mine takes her 08 honda accord to this one guy in newark so if i cant get it to work tommorow ill give him a call. about the diy is there like a diagram or something to help me locate and picture what im testing ?

ezone= yea i will but if that doesnt work then ill have to go to the newark guy and see wat he says
Old 03-04-2012

An 08 Accord? I bet all it has needed is routine maintenance and rear pads.
That ain't rocket science.

Figure out who can really solve problems.
Big difference.
Old 03-04-2012
Registered!!

OH true! ill ask around to someone who has like an 05 honda or older
Old 03-04-2012
Registered!!

Don't have an auto tranny so I can't post a pic, sorry. The best diagram you're gonna get is the one in the link ezone posted. The torque coverter is between the tranny and engine. It should be the only single solenoid on top.
Old 03-04-2012

Some pics I found

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/7...ml#post4581961

http://www.2carpros.com/questions/ho...ith-blinking-d
Old 03-04-2012
Registered!!

Thank you guys so much for your help!
Old 03-07-2012
Registered!!

Update! so i havent been able to use the multimeter because the one i have is broken but i know that is one of the wires thats iffy because why else would it start working and then stop and then start again ?
Old 03-07-2012
Registered!!

Last edited by Rahway09; 03-07-2012 at 01:44 PM.
Old 03-07-2012
Registered!!

Just posted some pictures so that maybe someone sees something that i dont!
Old 03-07-2012
Registered!!

04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light

Get your Ohms reading like ezone said. You will probably need to end up replacing the correct solenoid. Go back to your mechanic and see if he still has your old one. That way you know exactly what was changed.
Old 03-07-2012
Registered!!

04 Honda civic = you see the last picture I posted that thr grey piece is what he changed the thing that looks like two t's upside down and I havent been able to read the ohms cuz my multimeter is broken
Old 03-07-2012

NONE of those pics are the TCC solenoid.

All I see is a linear solenoid set and maybe a fan switch.
Old 03-07-2012
Registered!!

Those are the shift solenoids. You're on the exact opposite side of the tranny from the TC solenoid.

Remove this airbox:
Name:  17VTEC-1.jpg
Views: 3378
Size:  152.3 KB

The TC solenoid is somewhere in this area:
Name:  17VTEC-2.jpg
Views: 7874
Size:  145.7 KB

BTW: You need to at least secure, if you're not gonna put wire loom, on those ballast wires.
Old 03-07-2012
Registered!!

04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light

Fan switch doesnt look new to me. I dont know why that picture is even there, has nothing to do with the flashing D.

Edit: Most pictures dont belong there.
Old 03-07-2012
Registered!!

ezone and 04 honda civic = sorry i didnt know where it was located so i took a picture of wat was changed (solenoid) and figured it was near there.

lazlong= thank you so much! this helps so much !
Old 03-07-2012
Registered!!

is removing the airbox easy as removing the screws and thats it ? also once i remove the airbox do i have to take anything else apart?

Quick Reply: Check Engine Light on!