Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

top dead center question?

Old 12-31-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fitter527 is an unknown quantity at this point
top dead center question?

i am replacing the head gasket,waterpump...
i followed the procedure for TDC but when i took of the covers to expose the timing belt,the bottom pulley is lined up with the notch on the block.the top pulley however,the UP marking is on bottom?
can i just remove the timing belt and rotate the top pulley to the UP position?
might i add this job is a PITA.
Old 12-31-2011
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: top dead center question?

If you haven't removed the timing belt--just turn the crank one more turn and watch the marks on the cam gear.

DO NOT TURN THE CAM IF THE TIMING BELT IS OFF (unless you turn the crank 1/4 turn so no pistons are at TDC first--- or you will bend valves.)

If you are pulling the head off, it doesn't matter. You can right the cam timing before you put the head back on.

Hondas timing belts are easy.
Old 12-31-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

the valves move 1/2 the rotations of the crank... 4 stroke engines...
Old 12-31-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
If you haven't removed the timing belt--just turn the crank one more turn and watch the marks on the cam gear.

DO NOT TURN THE CAM IF THE TIMING BELT IS OFF (unless you turn the crank 1/4 turn so no pistons are at TDC first--- or you will bend valves.)

If you are pulling the head off, it doesn't matter. You can right the cam timing before you put the head back on.

Hondas timing belts are easy.
thanx.thats what i thought.
another question?the head bolts seem extremly tight on removal.the torque specs of 66ft/lbs isnt very much,they seem alot tighter than that?
Old 12-31-2011

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Get 1/2 inch drive, lifetime guaranteed tools. A breaker bar about 3 feet long is a big help on head bolts.
The head bolts will be freekin' TIGHT.
It's normal.
Doesn't matter what they were originally torqued at, it takes a whole lot more torque to break them loose later on ("breakaway torque").
Old 12-31-2011
Registered!!

ive never pulled the head off a car before but does this look bad
Click image for larger version

Name:	piston.jpg
Views:	322
Size:	10.9 KB
ID:	82307
Old 12-31-2011
Registered!!

SpdySylvrEX will become famous soon enough

You could always clean them with a white scrub pad and some de-greaser....
Old 12-31-2011
Registered!!

SpdySylvrEX will become famous soon enough

It's just carb build up from fuel burn, I would just clean it up a little bit with some de-greaser and a brillo pad or scrub pad...
Old 12-31-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

when yeh do it, don't forget that yeh need to change the coolant. debris will follow
Old 12-31-2011

It's just carbon buildup. Don't scrub the cylinder walls, you can scratch them. I don't do anything more than gently scrape the carbon off the tops of the pistons.

Was the engine overheated? Send the head to a machine shop, have them make sure the head is FLAT. Overheating warps the head. A warped head can't seal the new head gasket.

I use ONLY RAZOR BLADES (single edge) to scrape gasket residue from the block and head. Avoid scratching the surfaces where the gasket has to seal.
NO Scotchbrite pads.
NO Roloc gasket grinder discs.
Those leave grit that can wipe out bearings in a heartbeat.

I DO make every effort to remove all traces of spilled oil from the engines water jacket. I do not want any oil residue in the cooling system, it can rot hoses and rubber seals from the inside out.

Use an airgun and brake cleaner to remove ALL traces of liquid from the head bolt holes. You can ruin the head gasket job and even ruin the engine block if you don't do this!

Don't forget to change the oil a couple of times after you get it back together and running again. You don't want to be driving around with traces of antifreeze and other debris in the oil. I drain the oil only after the head gasket job and refill, then run it to operating temperature for a while and test drive for right around one mile (gently, no hot rodding it), then change oil and filter as soon as I get back in the shop. Cheap insurance.
Old 01-01-2012
Registered!!

Thanx for all the replies.HAPPY NEW YEAR