Engine Post your engine related problems in this section. Engines will cover from Fuel, Engine, Cooling, Exhaust physical related items.

Tale of Two Engine Mounts

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DesertCivic will become famous soon enough
Tale of Two Engine Mounts

After many months of troubling chassis vibration in my 04 DX Coupe I finally solved the mystery. If you are experiencing a severe vibration at start up and during idle, and you drive a coupe, you might find this to be your problem too. Here is what I found...

There are two different left side engine mounts, one for the coupe and one for the sedan. When I had my timing belt changed at a local shop, they installed a replacement mount from Westar (pn 9016). The Westar mount does not differentiate for coupe or sedan. Turns out this part doesn't work well on the coupe.

After several weeks of troubleshooting, including changing the three other mounts (which were all in various states of degradation, the front mount completely shot), cleaning the IAC and TB, and considering more extreme measures, I finally did a simple check of the left side mount. The check consisted of loosening the bracket screws (engine supported by jack) and starting the engine. The vibe was completely gone. I then ordered the OE coupe mount, installed it, and the vibe issue was remedied (I know, I know....always use OEM).

In the photo below you can see the difference between the sedan and coupe mount (green lines, coupe mount has the taller profile). The issue with the sedan mount is that the shorter profile allows the L shaped mounting bracket to rest on the chassis, transferring all of the engine vibration directly to the chasis.

Name:  Eng_Mount.jpg
Views: 2559
Size:  64.8 KB
Old 12-30-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of
Re: Tale of Two Engine Mounts

Excellent post and information, thanks
Old 12-30-2011
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light

For motor mounts on ANY make or model I reccomend OEM. Most if not all OE spec engine mounts are made in china. You know what that means, and if you dont... THEY ARE JUNK.
Old 12-30-2011
Registered!!

SSMCivicCoupe will become famous soon enough

Where are the engine mounts located? Im a noob to this since i just bought my civic a couple months ago.
Old 12-30-2011
Registered!!

There are four mounts, one near the fan belts, one on the other side, one in front down low (usually always broken), and one that is at the back (remove air box to see it and it is a b*** to replace). Use search function for more info. As 04 HC says, use OEM. After market mounts are also not sized right for installation and you will run into this problem at the worst possible moment. If you need more info, please PM me.
Old 12-30-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

great info - anothe unknown detail unveiled.
good to know it's solved
Old 12-31-2011
Registered!!

j_dock69 will become famous soon enough

do you have oem part numbers for these different mounts? might be useful
Old 12-31-2011
Registered!!

From Majestic Honda... Sedan: 50821-S5A-A07..... Coupe: 50827-S5A-003
Old 12-31-2011
Registered!!

j_dock69 will become famous soon enough

weird, wonder why they'd be different, coupe and sedan front end is pretty much the same, no?
Old 12-31-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by j_dock69
weird, wonder why they'd be different, coupe and sedan front end is pretty much the same, no?
Originally Posted by DesertCivic
The issue with the sedan mount is that the shorter profile allows the L shaped mounting bracket to rest on the chassis, transferring all of the engine vibration directly to the chasis.
nuff said
Old 01-15-2012
Registered!!

bhut2180 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have been having this horrible shaking since I changed out all my engine mounts. I bought my car after an accident, so I thought I'd just bought one with a bent frame. Low and beyond after 3 months of moaning over my bad purchase, I come along this page and my constant shaking is SOLVED all because I bought the wrong engine mount. YOu are on my list of favorite people for 2012!!!

Thanks incredibly soo!!!
Old 02-17-2012
Registered!!

mikereynolds9 is an unknown quantity at this point

Im in the same boat right now. I had my timing belt replaced last June and they replaced the left side mount to. Since then I've had to take it back to the shop because of the loud vibration that keeps coming back. They first time they said the mount became loose and turned causing a loud chattering. Now they say the mount keeps breaking because the other mounts are degrading causing more pressure on the good one causing it to break. I dont know wether or not to call bs on that. Im going to call and see were they got there replacement part From. Also I'm going to try and push them to pay it to be done at the dealership because of a few other various problems I've had at this shop.
Old 02-19-2012
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

This is awesome awesome information to know... Hopefully we can all remember it.
Old 03-14-2022
SOG
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SOG is an unknown quantity at this point

As the driver of an EX Coupe, I found this 10-year-old thread incredibly useful.

In case anyone else comes across it, please know that 50827-S5A-003 has been discontinued by Honda.
The following users liked this post:
xRiCeBoYx (03-15-2022)
Old 03-14-2022
Registered!!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Harry Hemi is an unknown quantity at this point

I bought one from the junkyard that was OEM and it did the trick. I also got a new one from one of the honda parts outlets. I replaced all my mounts with OEM and the car is smooth as butter.
The following users liked this post:
xRiCeBoYx (03-15-2022)