Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

MCU problems. Imagine that.

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Juggernuts is an unknown quantity at this point
MCU problems. Imagine that.

2002 honda Civic 4dr EX

I'm having the usual problems associated with a bad MCU. Brake light on, dome light wont turn on when door's open, door locks don't work, etc. I've spent hours diagnosing this and finally found the problem.

So now I have a few questions and I hope someone can answer them. As I was stuffing myself into my girlfriend's..........honda for the past 6 hours, this forum has been my user manual. As you know Honda's are friggin' tiny and I'm a massive man so anything under the dash is a pain in the ***. i I just need some specific questions answered from the almighty civicforum Gods.

1. I tried to put a 2002 honda civic MANUAL MCU into a 2002 honda civic AUTO. Before I get any snide remarks, everything worked except the shifter wouldn't come out of park. Manuals have no need to send the signal that the brake is being depressed so they lack the circuitry...Duh on my part. WHAT I WANT TO KNOW--Can I switch around or add any fuses to change this? I ask because a lot of the older domestics used the same circuitry but just removed the fuse or switch if it was not included in the particular package being purchased. Saved money from having to have so many different parts.

2. If there's no way for me to jerry rig the MCU i have, what year model's will work for my car? I bought the part from a salvage yard and I believe they also had an 05 EX. I was hoping that MCU would work.

Thanks for everything guys, you have no idea how uncomfortable and crappy this day has been for me, but this forum has definitely been my light at the end of the tunnel. I've never been a big import fan but you guys are incredibly helpful and knowledgeable opposed to a lot of the domestic forums I've been to. I may have to make a switch soon...

EDIT: Bolded my questions. I tend to ramble so wanted it to stand out for reference.

Last edited by Juggernuts; 12-17-2011 at 06:45 PM.
Old 12-17-2011
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of
Re: MCU problems. Imagine that.

Don't know if it can be jury-rigged.

I do know it needs to be an MCU for a 4-door EX. I know 2001-2002 will fit but, they changed some of the circuitry in the middle of 2003 so, I don't know about 2003-2005.

Nationwide salvage listings: http://www.car-part.com/

Cheapest parts around: http://www.picknpull.com/check_inventory.aspx

Also check eBay and all craigslist within driving distance.
Old 12-17-2011
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: MCU problems. Imagine that.

My parts search shows Underdash fusebox Part# 38200-S5A-A31

US market cars
01 and 02 Civic,
4 door,
EX, LX, and GX,
with AND without side airbags,
4AT AND CVT
all use the same part number fusebox.

No, removing or adding fuses won't do what you want.
There are ways to get around the shifter lock, you may need a wiring diagram and some time to do it. It won't work like the factory intended it to work, but it may work.

You would also need to disable the ignition key interlock as well. (I think you would only need to disconnect the wires from the solenoid on the bottom of the ignition in the steering column, for this part.)

Or you could remove/disable all the shifter and interlock stuff, in theory. I cannot condone doing any of it this way, because of liability concerns.
I work for a dealership, and I cannot disable safety features like these. I hope that any mechanic worth their weight would think the same way I do about this.
(By the same token: Catalytic converters have been on cars for over 35 years. Federal Law says we can't tamper with emissions equipment or remove catalytic converters for a customer in the shop, but some still do it.)

One could open themselves up to lawsuits if any disabled safety features were to cause an accident, damage, or personal injury.