Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Misfire HG? Spark Plugs?? Some Assistance por favor!

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2011
Civ ILL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
drmcstford is an unknown quantity at this point
Misfire HG? Spark Plugs?? Some Assistance por favor!

Hey guys so I've been loving my 2001 civic and Have already ordered a lot of awesome stuff for it however...... last night after driving home from the gym the Idle started flipping out it was like I was loosing power up and down, finally the check engine light came on. I took it to my uncle today (mechanic with 25 year of experience and owner of a 2001 civic) and the code read misfire of cylinder 2 and 4 and misfire configuration. He checked the spark plugs and said they were the wrong ones so he recommended I replace them immediately and handed me some new ngks for the autolites it had. He also warned me that it may be a head gasket leak and to be weary of the water in the radiator and to check to see if the engine is burning water. Do you guys have any other recommendations. Go figure i just spent around 600 in sound and some wheels and now this -_-!

SORRY FOR THE LONG POST!
Old 11-30-2011
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
anibis will become famous soon enoughanibis will become famous soon enough
Re: Misfire HG? Spark Plugs?? Some Assistance por favor!

I'd do what your uncle recommended and check the coolant every few days for a couple weeks and see if you're losing any. HG's are a common failure in our cars and can cause a misfire but typically only in one cylinder.

Honda's can be picky with spark plugs so hopefully that was the problem.
Old 11-30-2011
A true genius admits that he/she knows nothing.....CLOSED SAT/SUN

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Gunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to all

When you change the plugs check them for oil as well. That is a sign of leaking. when you look at your coolant see if there is any oil in that. Also you will be burning oil. Possibly have smoke coming out the tail pipe aswell. Keep an eye out for that stuff. But as your uncle said start with the simple stuff and change out the plugs.
Old 11-30-2011
Civ ILL

Thanks guys, I checked this morning for smoke and nothing, I will be checking the coolant the next few days and my uncle gave me some denso spark plugs calibrated and ready to install just waiting for the engine to cool some. I hope this is a simple fix don't feel like spending $$ on head gasket replacement i really wanna get my system installed and new tires but my engine comes first. will keep you guys updated!
Old 11-30-2011
Civ ILL

Update: After installing the denso plugs the car is back in business I'll still be checking the coolant just for precaution !
Old 11-30-2011
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light

Make sure you check the radiator (when car is cold) as well as the overflow tank.
Old 12-01-2011
A true genius admits that he/she knows nothing.....CLOSED SAT/SUN

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Gunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to all

Originally Posted by drmcstford
Update: After installing the denso plugs the car is back in business I'll still be checking the coolant just for precaution !

Glad to hear, yeah the wrong plugs or even plugs gapped wrong will cause plenty of issues.