Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Replaced strut, rear still squeaking...

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jcapyammi3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Replaced strut, rear still squeaking...

Hey everyone, I have researched and read alot of threads, but have not yet found a thread that related to my issue, so I thought id ask.

I was hearing squeaking from the right rear of my 01' LX Civic, and so I figured it might be the control arm bushings? Arnt those the ones on the U shaped part behind the drum? I am unfamilliar with the underbay of a car, more of a engine,exhaust,and electronic person so forgive my ignorance of parts that I am trying to refer too.Anyways, I lubed those with Silicone, wd-40, even tried my chain-wax for my bike, but only worked for a few days. So I figured I would have it checked out, the mechanic said the strut blown, so I had it replaced.
Sure the squeaking was gone, I even bounced the car in the lot to be sure. A day later(today), I was riding in the car with my fiance, and coming to a stop heard it again. So I get home and bounce the rear of the car, and sure enough it is still there or atleast back. I just paid $170 for them to fix the squeaking, not replace a b.s part. Honestly I should have asked to seen the blown strut first, but I trusted them. I am taking this back up there Monday, and making them fix this, but would like to have some input, what else could it be? I mean I could replace springs, but Struts are too much hassle and work to do, so I had no choice but to have them do it. Thank you!
Old 11-05-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Replaced strut, rear still squeaking...

try to lube the rear sway bar bushings
Old 11-06-2011
Registered!!

Jcapyammi3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Okay, do you mean the rear sway bar bushings on the endlinks? Yea the sound sounds like its coming right beside the tire, and I just noticed it might be on the rear left side of the car aswell. Probably a dumb question, but does the front end have a sway bar aswell? Just curious because I bounced the front and no squeaking so it just the rear with the squeaking issue. Thanks.
Old 11-06-2011
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

Yes, the end-links. If you have a rear sway-bar then you have a front one as well but, the LX's didn't come with sways.

Any time you change a suspension part it puts more pressure on the other parts you didn't replace and it's only a matter of time before they go bad also. In your case it was a couple of days, replace or lube all the bushings.
Old 11-06-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

you can try lubing the sway bar links and also the bushings towards the middle of the bar.
Old 11-06-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,442 Likes on 1,198 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

the top mounts do seem to squeak too? mine were gone after replacing them
Old 11-10-2011
Registered!!

tallal565 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jcapyammi3
Hey everyone, I have researched and read alot of threads, but have not yet found a thread that related to my issue, so I thought id ask.

I was hearing squeaking from the right rear of my 01' LX Civic, and so I figured it might be the control arm bushings? Arnt those the ones on the U shaped part behind the drum? I am unfamilliar with the underbay of a car, more of a engine,exhaust,and electronic person so forgive my ignorance of parts that I am trying to refer too.Anyways, I lubed those with Silicone, wd-40, even tried my chain-wax for my bike, but only worked for a few days. So I figured I would have it checked out, the mechanic said the strut blown, so I had it replaced.
Sure the squeaking was gone, I even bounced the car in the lot to be sure. A day later(today), I was riding in the car with my fiance, and coming to a stop heard it again. So I get home and bounce the rear of the car, and sure enough it is still there or atleast back. I just paid $170 for them to fix the squeaking, not replace a b.s part. Honestly I should have asked to seen the blown strut first, but I trusted them. I am taking this back up there Monday, and making them fix this, but would like to have some input, what else could it be? I mean I could replace springs, but Struts are too much hassle and work to do, so I had no choice but to have them do it. Thank you!
I actually have the same squeaking problem. i changed my struts a year ago. i heard it could be the area where the strut assembly is held together and i also heard bushings could be bad. i still have the problem. it only hear it when people are back there. i dont hear it when i bounce the car myself.
Old 11-13-2011
Registered!!

r3fuj33 is an unknown quantity at this point

Are you sure it's not the rear brakes squeaking? There's several posts about it on here.