Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Multiple Issues on a 01 EX Civic

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
grayj25 is an unknown quantity at this point
Multiple Issues on a 01 EX Civic

I am beginning to worry about some nagging issues on my beast of a 01 EX civic.

I purchased the car from an auction in 07 and the car has been beautiful and ran great for me. I have started to notice some minor issues lately though, and the car is at 151,000 miles on it.

1) There seems to be a signifigant leak on the passenger side of the engine cavity. I believe this to be a coolant leak, flowing from either that water pump or the thermostat. The car was regularly overheating and I changed out the thermostat. The problem went away for a little bit, but has now come back. Strangely enough, the overheating issue only happens on hot days when I try to run A/C (which works intermittently) or heat the vehicle.

Also, when I am using the heat, it works great, but it blows extremely hot. When the heat is on full blast it will almost burn your hand hot.

I am thinking this may be a failed water pump/pipe, but want to see if anyone else has experienced this issue.

2) My car has been experiencing a stalling issue when in gear. For example, I will back the car up out of the driveway and go to put the car into drive and the car will stall. Or I will drive the car a mile down the road and stop at a stop light and the car will stall. The only solution to this is to shut the car off and restart it. I am worried this is a precursor to a transmission failure. However, this is the only problem the car is having currently.

Any insight or help into these issues would be much appreciated as I love the car and would like it to keep running for many more miles.
Old 11-07-2011
Registered!!

Arceneaux is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Multiple Issues on a 01 EX Civic

I assume you have the 1.7L. The waterpump is on the driver's side of the car. What color is the fluid that is leaking? Can you figure out where it is coming from? Pics?

Read the overheating diagnosis checklist from this posting:
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/3...le-issues-fix-
forum/344849-civic-overheats-multiple-mechanis-same-diagnosis-no-solution.html

Hope this helps
Old 11-08-2011
Registered!!

grayj25 is an unknown quantity at this point

Arceneaux,

Thanks for your reply. I did some testing of the car further. I'm happy to report there is not a headgasket problem. Everything looked fine on that end. The leak appears to be a mixture of oil and tranny fluid. Checked levels of both and they are where they should be.

Definitley some sort of transmission issue with the slipping which is occuring more frequently. Still no idea what is causing the overheating, looking into that more as we speak. Would really appreciate any further input.
Old 11-08-2011
Registered!!

Arceneaux is an unknown quantity at this point

There is a sticky on common overheating problems, maybe you'll have some luck there.

Are you a decent mechanic? Sounds like you need to rip into the tranny. If it were me, before I'd take the thing out, I'd go get it diagnosed by a pro. Then I'd probably take it out myself, looking for leaks along the way, and either replace it with a used one, or get it rebuilt. I'm guessing you're looking at a $1,000 bill if you do it yourself.