Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Hood latch broken at mounting bracket.

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
F15E154 is an unknown quantity at this point
Hood latch broken at mounting bracket.

Good morning. Just purchased a 2002 4 Door LX for my son, after bringing it home I noticed that the hood latch mechanism (under hood) is broken at the mounting bracket. It appears the previous owner liked to slam the hood vs. actually seeing what was broken. The mechanism itself is fine, but there are 3 screws (8mm?) holding it to the bracket and it is physically cracked which allows the lock to move thus preventing the hood from completely closing. Anyone had this problem? It looks like I can just get a welder to support it for me.....thoughts?

Thanks, Rick
Old 10-08-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Hood latch broken at mounting bracket.

i would just get a new latch. you may need to move it around by loosening the screws if you ever want to adjust the hood height (in the cold vs hot, sometimes stuff shrinks and you can get the hood rattling).
Old 10-09-2011
Registered!!

F15E154 is an unknown quantity at this point

Latch isn't broken - the mounting plate behind it is.
Old 10-09-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

oh okay yeah in that case welding should work.
Old 10-11-2011
7th Gen Civic DIY Enthusiast!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Matt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by F15E154
Latch isn't broken - the mounting plate behind it is.
Are you saying that the part that the latch mechanism mounts to is broken or that the latch mechanism bracket that mounts to the car is broken?

Sorry if I'm misunderstanding you, but I'm just trying to clarify to help you better.
Old 06-29-2016
Registered!!

conceptvbs is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Matt_75
Are you saying that the part that the latch mechanism mounts to is broken or that the latch mechanism bracket that mounts to the car is broken?

Sorry if I'm misunderstanding you, but I'm just trying to clarify to help you better.
The latch mechanism bracket attached to the radiator support frame.

Sorry to revive an old thread but here is a solution to this problem if anyone was searching.

Old 07-16-2018
Registered!!

jcsk2008 is an unknown quantity at this point

2015 honda fit front end minor collision, replaced all parts, tried loosening hood bracket screws to align but latch still not locking.
everything ( plastic) is about 1 inch off but made it fit together. Question: can a mechanic cut and weld the hook on hood to make fit into latch to lock?