Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

How to Fix a Bumper and Headlight - Honda Civic LX 2003

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GefMongoose is an unknown quantity at this point
How to Fix a Bumper and Headlight - Honda Civic LX 2003

My Honda was recently vandalized in my apartment complex parking lot. My bumper cover was ripped almost entirely off (now just barely attached by one connection on the passenger’s side), and the driver’s-side headlight assembly was smashed.

I’m mostly concerned about replacing the headlight assembly and re-attaching the current bumper (which is basically intact). If you can help instruct me in this so I can do it myself, you have my extreme thanks.

-The driver's-side headlight assembly needs replacing
-The driver's-side headlight bracket is bent to all get out and needs replacing
(‘headlight bracket’ is how a mechanic referred to it. I am referring to a metal bar/support, bent into a curve, which seems to rest underneath the headlight)
-According to a mechanic I consulted, the radiator support, which the headlight assembly is bolted to, was bent “up and back.” He wants to use a machine to bend it back into place.
-I am not entirely willing to take his word for it. He seems to indicate that the piece should be entirely flat with no curves built in. The corresponding piece on the other side of the vehicle, however, seems to have some curves built in. I am not sure if this mechanic is referring to a more-than-normal curve, or if he is incorrectly assuming that the normal curve is a flaw to be “repaired”

I have been able to find headlight assemblies for sale at many local auto shops. I have not found a listing for a “headlight bracket” yet, though, and I am wondering if this is the proper terminology.

Can you tell me, or give me a link, to a guide that shows me how to:

-Reattach the plastic bumper cover
-Replace the headlight bracket (is this included when you buy a headlight assembly?)
-Replace the headlight assembly (not just the bulb itself)

UPDATE: I found a guide with instructions, but its photos are mostly close-ups and I’m not sure where to find those locations under the hood. Link to that instructive forum thread here:
<https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...r-removal.html

Again, thanks.
Old 08-22-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How to Fix a Bumper and Headlight - Honda Civic LX 2003

check www.hondaautomotiveparts.com for the bracket. you can try to get the light and bracket and install it to see if it fits normally. if the fit is way off, then you need to have the frame straightened. once the headlight is back in, the bumper pushes back in to the clips on those brackets and on the fender. you should be able to push in the whole bumper and have it stay in place on its own. then put the screws and clips back mostly underneath the bumper and one screw in each fender.