Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2004 SE Automatic Transmission problem.

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Comete is an unknown quantity at this point
2004 SE Automatic Transmission problem.

Hello,

I just bought a 2 doors Civic 2004, actually 2 days ago. I noticed at some point that the transmission was acting weirdly. By the way sorry if I made mistakes, english is not my first language.

So, when the engine is cold or when it just started, everything is fine with the transmission. But, after a while on the road, the check engine light turns on and the transmission does not downshift from 4th to 3rd even if I'm driving at 70 km/h. I push the pedal to the floor and there is no reaction. When I start moving after a light for instance, the RPM goes to 6-7000 before shifting to 2nd gear, from 2nd to 3rd and from 3rd and 4th, the transmission slides for half a second. When I' slowing down, I'm feeling a shock as the transmission downshifts, like if I had a manual transmission. When this happens, I pull on the side, turn off the engine for a minute and when I restart it is ok for a while but the check engine light stays on.

If someone ever had or heard of a problem like this, I'll enjoy some info. This car only have 118000 km and cost me 5000. Hopefully I won't have to buy a new transmission....

Thanks!
J-F
Old 07-07-2011
Registered!!

green01civic will become famous soon enoughgreen01civic will become famous soon enough
Re: 2004 SE Automatic Transmission problem.

Originally Posted by Comete
Hello,
But, after a while on the road, the check engine light turns on and the transmission does not downshift from 4th to 3rd even if I'm driving at 70 km/h. I push the pedal to the floor and there is no reaction. When I start moving after a light for instance, the RPM goes to 6-7000 before shifting to 2nd gear, from 2nd to 3rd and from 3rd and 4th, the transmission slides for half a second. When I' slowing down, I'm feeling a shock as the transmission downshifts, like if I had a manual transmission. When this happens, I pull on the side, turn off the engine for a minute and when I restart it is ok for a while but the check engine light stays on.
First, go to an Autozone or Advance Auto, and get that code pulled. They'll check it for free. Get the code as soon as possible and then report back (and maybe google it, too).

Second, there is no way the RPM's should be in 6-7k before shifting to 2nd gear, that's a problem. Sounds like a problem.

Lastly, the "shock" when downshifting is normal, our transmissions will aggressively downshift to aid in slowing down the car (part of the 'grade logic' shifting pattern).
Old 07-08-2011
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Comete
Hello,

I just bought a 2 doors Civic 2004
You should try to get a refund on this purchase. No good can come from any of this matter except for a total refund.
Old 07-08-2011
Registered!!

Thx for your advices, I'll make it pass an inspection at Honda in few days. If it cost me a brand new transmission, I'll get a complete refund from the old owner using a specific law ^^

I don't want to argue, but the shock I feel when the transmission is on ''weird'' state mode'' is not reproduced when the engine is cold and functioning correctly. Anyway, my first civic was not doing that.

Enjoy the weekend!
Old 07-09-2011
Registered!!

Problem found!

It's the throttle positioning sensor that's reaching the end of its life.
Old 07-10-2011
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

That is great, thanks for letting us know the fix.
Old 07-17-2011
Registered!!

Lovesher03civic is an unknown quantity at this point

what cel code did it throw?