Overheating or loss of coolant, heater blowing cold If you are having overheating of loss of coolant issues, post here!

Radiator coolant overflow issue. stuck thermo? blown water pump?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MarkoPollo is an unknown quantity at this point
Radiator coolant overflow issue. stuck thermo? blown water pump?

Hell folks,

I've had my car about a month and there has been noticing a very slight amount of burn hydrocarbon smell and a little bit of coolant spray around my coolant overflow reservoir.

Today I went on an hour-long drive (longest continuous drive yet) and noted quite a bit of coolant in and around my fan and on my radiator shroud, and all over the place. I noted the coolant reservoir was actually overflowing out of some tiny holes where the cap screws in. Probably what was causing the "spray" when it hit the incoming air through the grill.

I've tried squeezing the large hoses that are most likely the intake and outtake into the radiator, the bottom one feels like there might be some air in it cause it's way easier to squeeze.

I've let it sit 2 hours and the level in the reservior level hasn't gone down. It's right to the brim and totally over the "max" line.

Tried letting it idle for a bit. Still no change in the levels. Today I had the a/c cranked. I was doing some research and read something about a heater-core issue may cause this.

Please advise. The temp gauge stayed constant and right in the middle without looking like it was overheating.

every2002 Civic Si Veloz (D17A2)
Old 06-07-2011
Registered!!

Re: Radiator coolant overflow issue. stuck thermo? blown water pump?

Checked out the oil today and it looks fine (like thre's no indication the head is compromised).

I also noted that only the top hose is hot to the touch, the bottom one wasn't even warm really.

I've attached a pic of a sensor... any clue what it is?

I'm debating just pulling out the thermostat and running without it (using liquid gasket) caue it's summer to see it the issue resolves. Will this cause an engine code?

Old 06-07-2011
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
johndeerebones is a jewel in the roughjohndeerebones is a jewel in the roughjohndeerebones is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by MarkoPollo
Checked out the oil today and it looks fine (like thre's no indication the head is compromised).

I also noted that only the top hose is hot to the touch, the bottom one wasn't even warm really.

I've attached a pic of a sensor... any clue what it is?

I'm debating just pulling out the thermostat and running without it (using liquid gasket) caue it's summer to see it the issue resolves. Will this cause an engine code?

Yes, that is the fan switch. Are your fans kicking on? To answer your question, yes it will set a code. I believe its a P0128, engine temp below threshold.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but it sounds like you have head gasket issues possibly... Don't jump yet though, lets diagnose it...

fans working? The first goto is to fill it back up, at the radiator, not the overflow. Let it cool and take the radiator cap off, turn the hot/cold heater control to hot, then fill it up. Then start it with the cap off and keep topping up the coolant till the fans kick on, then shut it off and make sure it stays full. That fill method ensures that you are getting it full and the air out..
Old 06-07-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

first replace the thermostat with a honda oem part. then see if the lower hose gets hot.
Old 06-07-2011
Registered!!

Threw a OEM thermostat in and took it for a drive. Bottom hose is hot and it seems like its circulating better.

The heater has remained working fine through the whole ordeal. The radiator has always been full to the brim the whole time too.

The bad news is that I threw the old thermostat into a pot of boiling water and the sucker opened up just fine.

When its heated up and running it looks like it's purging air through the radiator to reservoir, but the lower hose seems like its got less air in it and it's way harder to squeeze now. It feels like the top one, when before it didn't.
Old 06-09-2011
Registered!!

Reservoir level has dropped dramatically and I think my problem is solved. Everything seems to be working fine thank goodness.

Haven't had the heater or a/c on yet. I'll test that out tomorrow. Cross your fingers that everything stays stable.
Old 07-06-2011
Registered!!

Needs a head gasket job
Old 07-08-2011
Registered!!

green01civic will become famous soon enoughgreen01civic will become famous soon enough

Needs a head gasket job
Did you confirm presence of hydrocarbons in the coolant with a block tester?
Old 07-09-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by green01civic
Did you confirm presence of hydrocarbons in the coolant with a block tester?
hydrocarbons in the exhaust.
Old 09-04-2011
Registered!!

FMichaud is an unknown quantity at this point

99.9 % sure it's the intake manifold gasket... Your description match perfectly what you should expect from this specific issue :

- Low but steady coolant consumption
- Almost nothing noticeable in driveability
- Thick oil residue in the cooloant expension reservoir

Juste beside the intake port of cylinder 4 there is a coolant passage. Now aluminium engine are great in many ways but they react not so good to temperature variation. Long short story, the studs and bolts came loose and... A mix of oil fume and gasoline find their way to your cooling system. I had the exact same issue on my 99 EX (D16Y7). I bought a gasket at Honda for $27 and did the job in 1.5 hours with a long nose plier, a 10mm & 12mm sockets and ratchet and of course a torque wrench.

So if you're not doing it you can expect to have it repaired for $200...
Old 09-05-2011
Registered!!

bfairweath is an unknown quantity at this point

FMichaud-can you post a picture of the bolts that came loose? I'm having a similar problem with a Y7 and want to check it out.
Old 10-01-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by FMichaud
99.9 % sure it's the intake manifold gasket... Your description match perfectly what you should expect from this specific issue :

- Low but steady coolant consumption
- Almost nothing noticeable in driveability
- Thick oil residue in the cooloant expension reservoir

Juste beside the intake port of cylinder 4 there is a coolant passage. Now aluminium engine are great in many ways but they react not so good to temperature variation. Long short story, the studs and bolts came loose and... A mix of oil fume and gasoline find their way to your cooling system. I had the exact same issue on my 99 EX (D16Y7). I bought a gasket at Honda for $27 and did the job in 1.5 hours with a long nose plier, a 10mm & 12mm sockets and ratchet and of course a torque wrench.

So if you're not doing it you can expect to have it repaired for $200...

Somebody knock this guy down a few experience points. I said it was a head gasket. It's fixed after the gasket was replaced.

The D16 is a completely different engine than the D17, this is the 7th gen forum.

Old 10-01-2011
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

You can know him down experience points yourself
Old 11-05-2011
Registered!!

Done. LOL.
Old 11-17-2011
Registered!!

Nosepicker is a jewel in the roughNosepicker is a jewel in the roughNosepicker is a jewel in the roughNosepicker is a jewel in the rough

Somebody knock this guy down a few experience points. I said it was a head gasket. It's fixed after the gasket was replaced.

The D16 is a completely different engine than the D17, this is the 7th gen forum.

Old 11-17-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

D16 and D17s are similar, the coolant passages are identical I believe, the suggestion wasn't bad.
Old 11-17-2011
Registered!!

Nosepicker is a jewel in the roughNosepicker is a jewel in the roughNosepicker is a jewel in the roughNosepicker is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by MindBomber
D16 and D17s are similar, the coolant passages are identical I believe, the suggestion wasn't bad.
Old 11-19-2011
Registered!!

bfairweath is an unknown quantity at this point

Nice job MarkoPollo, you ask a question, people try to help you, and you blast their suggestions.
Old 12-01-2011
Registered!!

when hydrocarbons in the exaust suggest a leaky intake manifold... that suggestion needs to get blasted.

also, if you read it you'd see that there was no coolant consumption, it was spewing out the reservoir, there was no mention of oil in the coolant, and I stated that the head gasket job fixed the issue.

when a suggestion has nothing to do with the initial question, it needs to get blasted.
Old 07-07-2013
Registered!!

arjsfixnoob is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi fellow civic owners. My civic overheated on a 51mi drive. I saw the reservoir was full and looks like it came out of the reservoir a bit. There is little black gummy sticky things stuck on the nozzle. Like a black tarry really thick hair. I have a low idle in warm start up. Any ideas? Oil looks good, oil cap looks good no white residue. Both radiator hoses are hot. I had a 30mi drive and everything was fine.
Old 07-07-2013
7th Gen Civic DIY Enthusiast!

Matt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the rough

Blown head gasket
Old 07-10-2013
Registered!!

arjsfixnoob is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Matt_75
Blown head gasket
how can i confirm this? Could it be something else?
Old 07-10-2013
7th Gen Civic DIY Enthusiast!

Matt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the rough

If you have coolant spraying from your overflow, then your head gasket is blown. There's really no need to try and confirm it as this is confirmation enough.
Old 07-03-2017
Registered!!

gulzarh will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by gearbox
first replace the thermostat with a honda oem part. then see if the lower hose gets hot.
why lower hose should get Hot? the coolant doesn't flow from upper hose to radiator and from lower hose to back to engine?
Old 06-20-2018
Registered!!

Cassconner is an unknown quantity at this point

[IQUOTE=Matt_75;4644390]If you have coolant spraying from your overflow, then your head gasket is blown. There's really no need to try and confirm it as this is confirmation enough.[/QUOTE]

I thought if there's a blown head gasket u ssue there would be either a black or a grey smoke coming from the tail pipe..
is that not true??
Old 06-20-2018
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,122 Likes on 937 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

not with these cars....
go read:

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/3...reference.html
Old 06-20-2018
Registered!!

Cassconner is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by johndeerebones
Yes, that is the fan switch. Are your fans kicking on? To answer your question, yes it will set a code. I believe its a P0128, engine temp below threshold.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but it sounds like you have head gasket issues possibly... Don't jump yet though, lets diagnose it...

fans working? The first goto is to fill it back up, at the radiator, not the overflow. Let it cool and take the radiator cap off, turn the hot/cold heater control to hot, then fill it up. Then start it with the cap off and keep topping up the coolant till the fans kick on, then shut it off and make sure it stays full. That fill method ensures that you are getting it full and the air out..
question . Or like confirmation:; when water runs low do you only fill radiator ??
not the over flow??
Old 06-20-2018
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,122 Likes on 937 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

If they're both empty you fill both of them.
Fill the rad and then fill the overflow halfway between the two marks on the bottle.
Then you have to bleed the system.
But if your headgasket is blown this isn't going to really help you, you need to get that fixed.