Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

01 Civic LX, clutch pedal goes to floor.

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nefarsus is an unknown quantity at this point
01 Civic LX, clutch pedal goes to floor.

Hello. I'm new to this site, only have browsed a few times, but I'm having some serious problems and hope someone could be of assistance. I have a 2001 Honda Civic LX. It's a 5 speed manual transmission.

Last week I went to start the vehicle up and had trouble getting it into gear. When I pushed the clutch pedal down, it went all the way to the floor and wouldn't come back up. I had to pull it up with my hand. When the engine is turned on, I cannot put the shifter into any gear. However when the car is off, I can freely put it into any gear no problem. I was able to get the car moving by putting it into 2nd gear and then turning the key. As I do so, the car starts to pull forward immediately and has a rough start. I managed to get the vehicle home after being stranded in this situation. I was able to force the shifter up to 3rd and 4th during this ride. However down shifting was not possible period. In order to do so I had to turn the vehicle off and start again. I've done some research and called a Honda dealership and I've heard it could possibly be a clutch master or slave cylinder.

Can anyone help me out with a diagnosis. I'm currently out on disability and money is very tight. I cannot afford to take it into a shop at the moment. I'm the farthest thing from a mechanic. I have repaired a few things on my cars in the past when stuff has broken. If this is the issue, is there a way to tell if it's the slave or the master? I haven't seen any fluid leaking onto the ground, the fluid level is topped off under the brake fluid caps. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks - Adam
Old 05-31-2011
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 01 Civic LX, clutch pedal goes to floor.

Unfortunatly Honda is probably right... you can try to bleed air out of the clutch hydraulic system but that probably won't work and one or both of the cylinders will need to be replaced.
Old 05-31-2011
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

@ tbohar: Are you sure it's one of the cylinders and not the release bearing? Whenever I've had a bad cylinder the pedal sprang back up.
Old 05-31-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nefarsus is an unknown quantity at this point

Anyone else know what the issue could be? If it's the release bearing, is that something I'd be able to do, or does that require some pretty crazy work?
Old 06-01-2011
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lazlong
@ tbohar: Are you sure it's one of the cylinders and not the release bearing? Whenever I've had a bad cylinder the pedal sprang back up.
Oooooo your right I forgot about that...
Old 06-01-2011
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

@ Nefarsus: I think it's the release bearing, although it could be the slave or master cylinder. If you replace the release bearing and it's still doing it, then change the slave cylinder as that's the one that usually fails first. There's no test for the clutch parts, you just have to take your best guess (which we're trying to do) and replace the part(s). Download the manual to see how to replace the parts in question: https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...e-updated.html