Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Interior water leak when raining?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
T355 is an unknown quantity at this point
Interior water leak when raining?

On the driver side a-pillar, where the headliner meets the plastic pillar cover, there is a leak where water is dropping in and onto my seat. It only happens when the car is parked and it is raining for a good while. I just washed my car and it didn't leak in. So it seems to take a while until the water starts dripping in. Also it doesn't drip when I am driving. I have visually examined all seals around the top of the door and all seem to be fine. Has anyone ever heard of this problem and if so what was the fix?
Old 04-19-2011
Registered!!

got2run5 will become famous soon enoughgot2run5 will become famous soon enough
Re: Interior water leak when raining?

Lift up the rubber that is between your metal roof and the glass of your windshield so you can peek underneath it. If it's all rusted that could be your problem. Just had mine sandblasted and the guy said he was surprised it wasn't leaking already. Costs like $250 to have done if that's your problem.
Old 04-19-2011
Registered!!

T355 is an unknown quantity at this point

That's what I was thinking I should do. If I pull that rubber up will I be able to just push it back down into place again? Or will I have to buy a whole new piece since i pulled that one up?
Old 04-19-2011
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
jponto07 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by T355
That's what I was thinking I should do. If I pull that rubber up will I be able to just push it back down into place again? Or will I have to buy a whole new piece since i pulled that one up?
The rubber weatherstripping is reusable. Be sure to clean both the weatherstripping and the mating surface with acetone or something similar to ensure that the new adhesive sticks well.

Something to consider is removing the extra adhesive from the channel under the weatherstripping. When I did mine, there was extra adhesive that squished out of the mating surface between the windshield and the A pillars. I was unable to put the weatherstrip back without cutting it out.