Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Hesitation/Bucking with the D17A2

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
01cpe will become famous soon enough
Hesitation/Bucking with the D17A2

I have a 2001 Honda Civic coupe with the D17A2 vtec motor, manual transmission. It seems to have a hesitation issue that has become more pronounced now that the weather is warmer. Basically, the car is very sluggish or is hard to accelerate until it the engine reached operating temperature, usually accompanied by "bucking" once or twice at times. Once its reached operating temp, it slightly hesitates between 2000 and 2800 rpms sometimes but accelerates much better. The engine has no problem spinning to high rpms at this point or accelerating to highway speeds. It is currently not in limp mode as it will rev past 4000 rpms easily. The car doesn't overheat (temp gauge never fluctuates) and it idles smooth and quiet.

It constantly throws two codes, the egr insufficient flow code and the code for the cat converter. The check engine light is on for both and the egr valve is disconnected. Basically, the car ran fine originally with the egr valve connected, ocassionally throwing the insufficient flow code up until a month after I bought the car. Then, one day it starting bucking/stuttering terribly anytime I attempted to cruise at a particular speed or rpm. I cleaned the egr valve throughly, which worked for one trip until the same bucking/problem started again though it did not throw a check engine light. It was actually worse after I cleaned it, the car would not accelerate well from a stop and had a rough idle. I have yet to mess with the cat converter so I can't tell if its really bad or if blow by from the engine has contaminated the 02 sensor.

If the egr valve is the problem, I'll fix it but the car ran fine with it disconnected for several months and never went into limp mode once? The only issue I noticed was a high idle (1200 rpms) sometimes for a few seconds when the car was stopped. I going to change the spark plugs (changed at 148k per records) on the car soon too. It almost seems like the cat converter is bad as its original as well as the egr valve on the car. Thanks for the help in advance.

Last edited by 01cpe; 04-04-2011 at 07:28 PM.
Old 04-04-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Hesitation/Bucking with the D17A2

sounds like you should start with a new egr valve and gasket, and a new 2ndary oxygen sensor in the cat. now is the code saying oxygen sensor, or is it saying catalyst efficiency is low? if its the second one, you need a new cat converter and the old one is prolly clogged and causing poor performance.
Old 04-05-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
01cpe will become famous soon enough
Re: Hesitation/Bucking with the D17A2

The code for the second 02 is P0420 for low cat efficiency and the egr has been P0401 for insufficient flow (occurs with it disconnected or connected). I've already purchased a new egr valve and gasket which I should have soon and I'll see how that goes. I'm going to have to wait on the converter for a little bit since I might replace the entire exhaust with it since its all original. Thanks for the help.