Go Back   Honda Civic Forum > Honda Civics by Generation > 7th Gen > Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum
Register Forgot Password?

Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Welcome to civicforums.com!
Welcome to civicforums.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to start new topics, reply to conversations, privately message other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join civicforums.com today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-04-2011   #1
DAC
Registered!!

Points: 1,312, Level: 20 Points: 1,312, Level: 20 Points: 1,312, Level: 20
Level up: 12%, 88 Points needed
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
DAC is an unknown quantity at this point
Replacing Air Cleaner Box for 2002 Honda Civic LX

Hello all,

This is my first post. I drive a 2002 Honda Civic LX. In the last few months, I have decided to become more auto savvy with the intention of doing basic repairs myself.

I ran into a problem trying to change the air cleaner. The screws for the air cleaner cover were rusted and wouldn't come out. They would just spin in place when I would try to get them out with my ratchet. Anyway, I did get the cover off after breaking the plastic on both the cover and the case set (the bottom part). I ordered replacement screws and an air cleaner cover and case from Majestic Honda. (The threads on the screws were gone, and a few fused into case's metal holes. I read that this was common since the engine's heat over time can do that.)

I took off the bolts for the case. In fact, they came off easy. But the case still won't come off. I know it has to be disconnected from the hoses (i.e. the tube breather and the grommet on the left. I did manage to remove the sensor assembly on the right without destroying it.

But is there something else I'm missing?

Here is a photo I took a few days ago and uploaded to Image Shack. (Note I removed the screw in the middle today. I previously removed the bolts, as I wrote.)

Thanks in advance.

D------
DAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011   #2
Registered!!

Points: 17,778, Level: 84 Points: 17,778, Level: 84 Points: 17,778, Level: 84
Level up: 86%, 72 Points needed
Level up: 86% Level up: 86% Level up: 86%
Activity: 58.6%
Activity: 58.6% Activity: 58.6% Activity: 58.6%
lazlong has much to be proud of lazlong has much to be proud of lazlong has much to be proud of lazlong has much to be proud of lazlong has much to be proud of lazlong has much to be proud of lazlong has much to be proud of lazlong has much to be proud of lazlong has much to be proud of lazlong has much to be proud of lazlong has much to be proud of
Re: Replacing Air Cleaner Box for 2002 Honda Civic LX

Look under the box where it goes into the throttlebody (look from the driver's side). Unscrew the band around the throat of the trottlebody. Then disconnect the hose from the valve cover side. It'll be a little snug coming off but, will come off.
lazlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011   #3
Super Moderator

Points: 146,804, Level: 100 Points: 146,804, Level: 100 Points: 146,804, Level: 100
Level up: 0%, 0 Points needed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 54.5%
Activity: 54.5% Activity: 54.5% Activity: 54.5%
gearbox has a reputation beyond repute gearbox has a reputation beyond repute gearbox has a reputation beyond repute gearbox has a reputation beyond repute gearbox has a reputation beyond repute gearbox has a reputation beyond repute gearbox has a reputation beyond repute gearbox has a reputation beyond repute gearbox has a reputation beyond repute gearbox has a reputation beyond repute gearbox has a reputation beyond repute

and you need a top and bottom cover. the threads are in the bottom cover. next time only hand tighten the screws with a screwdriver and not a socket wrench.
Old 04-05-2011   #4
Registered!!

lazlong has much to be proud of lazlong has much to be proud of lazlong has much to be proud of lazlong has much to be proud of lazlong has much to be proud of lazlong has much to be proud of lazlong has much to be proud of lazlong has much to be proud of lazlong has much to be proud of lazlong has much to be proud of lazlong has much to be proud of

I tell ya what, I'm about done with my stock airbox. I think it's time to go with the short ram. lol
Old 04-06-2011   #5
Registered!!

Points: 8,683, Level: 62 Points: 8,683, Level: 62 Points: 8,683, Level: 62
Level up: 78%, 67 Points needed
Level up: 78% Level up: 78% Level up: 78%
Activity: 3.4%
Activity: 3.4% Activity: 3.4% Activity: 3.4%
thewal will become famous soon enough

I have one if you are interested. let me know.
thewal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011   #6
DAC
Registered!!

Points: 1,312, Level: 20 Points: 1,312, Level: 20 Points: 1,312, Level: 20
Level up: 12%, 88 Points needed
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
DAC is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks, lazlong. It was the band for the throttle cable. Surprisingly, the screw for it wasn't damaged like the others and came out easy.

As I previously said, I had ordered the case, top cover, and screws from Honda Majestic. (I had bought a new filter at Autozone.)

I WD-40ed the screws and bolts before installing the new air box.

I should add that it wasn't easy reinstalling it. It was tough trying to align the case with the rubber grommet on the left and the breather tube. (For the latter, I still have to get the clip to its front so it's properly secured, but I need something small to pull the tabs [right word?] back and slide it into place.)

My problem is I'm always afraid that if I use too much force, I will damage something. But I got it done (and didn't over-tighten the screws and bolts.)

Anyway, thanks again for the help.

Last edited by DAC; 04-10-2011 at 04:17 PM.
DAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011   #7
Registered!!

^^ Slip it over the TB first, then match it to the big air box and the vacuum hose to the valve cover.
Old 04-11-2011
CivicForums
Honda Civic

Paid Advertisement

Tags
2001 , 2002 , air , bolts , box , civic , cleaner , filter , heat , honda , hose , problem , repair , rusty , top