Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2005 Coupe D/S Power Window Problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tacsneakyfast is an unknown quantity at this point
2005 Coupe D/S Power Window Problem

For awhile I was having on and off again problems with my Driver side window not rolling down. After tinkering awhile (not easy since you can't really see anything) I felt that the cable lock had popped loose on the bottom portion of the regulator. I compressed the spring and everything seemed to lock back into place and the window started working again. This time around the cable isn't locking back. Time to get a new regulator?
Old 02-08-2012
Registered!!

fijiblue05 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 2005 Coupe D/S Power Window Problem

Were you able to fix this problem? I think I have a similar issue with my 2005 EX SE. It seemed like in either really hot or really cold weather, the window would get stuck and not go down once in a while.

Today, without even trying to roll the window up or down, I heard a pop in my door. Then I tried to roll down my window, which worked. But then I couldn't roll it back up. I've taken apart the door and removed the regulator/motor assembly. Like you said, the bottom cable had popped out of the plastic guide at the bottom of the regulator but is still attached to the slide piece. I also noticed that the spring and blue piece at the bottom of the motor are loose, unlike the top part. Also the top cable lock looks like it was pulled out of the sliding piece and is stuck at the top pulley wheel. (which is why the window won't go up even though the motor still works.) I'll try and post pics to help other people.

My plan is to get the top cable lock loose then put it back in the middle of the slide piece by aligning the slide piece with the hole in the middle of the regulator.

How did you get the blue piece and spring to fit back in the motor assembly?

What grease did you use on the regulator?

What adhesive did you use to glue the plastic cover on the door panel?

Thanks! My Civic finally reached 100500 miles and this is the first issue I've had. Everything else has just been routine maintenance.
Old 02-08-2012
Registered!!

Ok so I played with this a little more.

The cable seemed too short to connect the top and bottom locks of the cable to the sliding piece of the regulator. So I removed the top metal piece off the spool that is connected to the motor. I looked inside and the cable was all tangled and showed signs of wear. The tangling may have happened when I rolled it down after I heard the initial pop. So it looks like I need a new regulator/motor assembly.

If anyone can help, I'd still like to know what to use
1. as adhesive for the plastic cover on the door panel.
2. for the grease on the regulator.
Old 02-08-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fijiblue05
I'd still like to know what to use
1. as adhesive for the plastic cover on the door panel.
2. for the grease on the regulator.
New regulator from Honda comes already loaded with grease. You will wear a lot of it by the time you get it installed.

If you had been real careful in peeling down that plastic liner, it just sticks right back where it was.

More plastic, duct tape, dumdum, RTV, bathtub caulk, whatever will stick and stay put. It does need to be water tight especially around the bottom of the liner, or else water can come in thru the bottom edges of the door panels.

HTH
Old 02-09-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
New regulator from Honda comes already loaded with grease. You will wear a lot of it by the time you get it installed.

If you had been real careful in peeling down that plastic liner, it just sticks right back where it was.

More plastic, duct tape, dumdum, RTV, bathtub caulk, whatever will stick and stay put. It does need to be water tight especially around the bottom of the liner, or else water can come in thru the bottom edges of the door panels.

HTH
Thank you, I installed it earlier this morning. It was just like you said.
The regulator came with grease already applied.
I was able to reuse most of the old adhesive for the plastic. A small section of it had seemed dry and not very sticky.
Old 12-06-2014
Registered!!

It has been a little while since I've posted on the forum.

I've had to replace the regulator again one more time. I guess I roll down my driver side window down a lot.

Actually I think it might happen because if you press the button, the window wants to roll down all the way automatically. And I have in the past tried to stop it by hitting the button again to reverse it before it has stopped. I think that jerking motion affects the cable. (So I'm not doing that anymore!)

Or it might just be the little plastic guide isn't the best design decision.
Old 12-06-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Was it a Honda regulator or aftermarket?

I have a thought
Run channel drag may have a lot to do with regulator life.
The run channel collects dirt and grime over the years and causes drag against the glass as it tries to slide up and down. Wash it with soap and hot water, or pull the seal all the way out of the door and wash it with soap and hot water....

Or, a generous application of spray silicone lube can help temporarily.

Also make sure the window switch isn't getting stuck, I've seen that happen to some of the cars and it's random intermittent but it can eventually burn out the motor.
Old 01-26-2015
Registered!!

Hey, I just saw this. Both times I used a Honda regulator. Thank you for the tips.

Originally Posted by ezone
Was it a Honda regulator or aftermarket?

I have a thought
Run channel drag may have a lot to do with regulator life.
The run channel collects dirt and grime over the years and causes drag against the glass as it tries to slide up and down. Wash it with soap and hot water, or pull the seal all the way out of the door and wash it with soap and hot water....

Or, a generous application of spray silicone lube can help temporarily.

Also make sure the window switch isn't getting stuck, I've seen that happen to some of the cars and it's random intermittent but it can eventually burn out the motor.