Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2002 civic

Old 03-17-2011
Doris

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dorisbailey is an unknown quantity at this point
2002 civic

I am the original owner of a 2002 honda civic ex. It now has over 334,000 miles on it. It has run perfectly up until september of 2010. Problem: Engine cuts off while driving when the temps are greater than 90 degrees outside. If you let it set for about 15 minutes, the engine runs fine. Multiple friends have tried to help me. We changed the thermostat and catalytic converter w/ exhaust. It was better up until we had a hot October day and it happen again. It only happens with high outside temps. It has been running fine all winter long but I am afraid that it will reoccur as soon as temps increase.

I also have an oil leak that is minor. I do have an 2003 engine that someone sold me but I have not payed to have this placed yet because everyone said it is not my engine that is the problem.

I did take it to a Honda dealership. They put it on the computer and nothing showed. They saw it was overheating. The only thing they told me was that I had an "air bubble" in my cooling sytem that they removed.

Another friend said that it was my sensor.

Please help, I need some advise.
Old 03-18-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,437 Likes on 1,193 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of
Re: 2002 civic

you are on the wrong forum - this one is for 2012 civic's - no one comes here since car is not even on sale. post on right section and people will look at it. Not in here.
Old 03-18-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

When was the last time the coolant was changed?

Moved to correct forum.

Last edited by MindBomber; 03-18-2011 at 10:48 PM.
Old 03-18-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,437 Likes on 1,193 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

thanks, mindbomber.
now that it is in place, I would add: what color is the coolant itself?
Old 03-21-2011
Doris

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dorisbailey is an unknown quantity at this point

Coolant just changed about 5 months ago. Color of Coolant was normal.
Old 03-21-2011
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

1. Burp the system again.

2. Make sure cooling fan is working: Disconnect fan connector, battery positive to 1 terminal of the connector, ground to the other.

3. Check the fan relay (in the under-hood fuse/relay box)

4. Jump the fan switch to see if that's bad

If all those are good:

1. Check for exhaust gases in the coolant

2. Check for milky oil

3. Check for water in the cylinders

If all those are good I would suspect a bad water pump. Which means it's time to change the timing belt also.

If all else fails, download the service manual and it will take you thru diagnosis step-by-step: https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...e-updated.html

Last edited by lazlong; 03-21-2011 at 03:52 PM. Reason: link