Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

P0740 and then kaput!

Old 03-04-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rustygaff is an unknown quantity at this point
P0740 and then kaput!

2001 Civic LX with 120K miles. During the last 6 months I would notice the tranny shifting a at a higher RPM. Not very often but more noticible when cold.
Today I went for a drive to pick my son up from school about 20 miles from home. About 10 miles out, the "check engine" light came on but the car ran normal. I figured it was just a sensor that either glitched or needed changing. After picking up my son about half way home, the tranny simply quit without warning. I had the car towed home and ran a code check and found a PO740 in the system. Tranny oil was full and did not smell burnt. Not fun. I assume the tranny and TC are toast and will need to decide wheter or not to look for a used, rebuilt, or junk the car which is in relatively decent shape.
Old 03-06-2011
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of
Re: P0740 and then kaput!

Sorry, bro. The auto trannies for this gen are weak.

Drain the tranny fluid thru a strainer into a CLEAN container (so you can pour it back in).

Look at the strainer- is there any metal flakes or bits?

YES- A new tranny is in order. It's been proven by some forum members that a drain and fill every 10K will make these trannies last a lot longer than 120K.

NO- It's a bad hydraulic system, torque coverter clutch solenoid, or A/T clutch pressure solenoids A and B. Fix whichever is bad and no new tranny needed.

Hope this helps. Post back with results please.