Engine Post your engine related problems in this section. Engines will cover from Fuel, Engine, Cooling, Exhaust physical related items.

Oil Pump Seal Leak?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Oil Pump Seal Leak?

Probably price.
They just spent a "ton" of loot for the timing belt job, "and now you need this for another (??) $800 (??)" or something.

I don't know how the person on the phone plays it out.

I just fix the cars, on the OTHER SIDE of that "magic door".
Old 10-08-2012
7th Gen Civic DIY Enthusiast!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Matt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the rough

Yeah I can believe price was the main issue.

I just have to say, as an amateur...nay... novice mechanic at best, I was extremely disheartened at having to go back in to replace that cheap, little o-ring. When I finally figured it out looking at drawings and such I was relieved and very very pissed all at once.

Oh well, I learned from it and spent a little under a $100 for the timing belts, ultra flange seal II, little oil pump o-ring and a new pick up gasket.

The only thing I didn't replace was the shifter cable bolt lock, but I was able to bend it back in place twice. If I had to go back in again, I'd change it.
Old 10-08-2012

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Matt_75
Yeah I can believe price was the main issue.
"You want to charge me WHAT to replace that $5 seal!?!?!?"

(I was just guessing at the price.)
Old 10-08-2012

Matt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by ezone
"You want to charge me WHAT to replace that $5 seal!?!?!?"

(I was just guessing at the price.)
$0.79 for Yamada
$1.81 for Aisin

And the above price is what really pissed me off for all the work that had to be done to get there.

I just went with whatever the dealer stocked. I can't remember what it was, but I torqued the oil pump bolts to 86 in/lbs. They actually listed two torques in the Chilton manual depending on which pump you had. I could only assume one is Japanese and one is a North American torque spec.
Old 10-08-2012

And you know how much sun burn I got from all this? I've done all, what I consider major work on this car, in a parking stall in my complex. Talk about a pain in the ***. What I wouldn't give for a garage and power/air tools.
Old 10-08-2012

$0.79 for Yamada
$1.81 for Aisin
I meant the labor, not the parts.

The "How much to install the $5 part?" is a common question/phrase.
Old 10-08-2012

The "How much to install the $5 part?" is a common question/phrase.
Oh sorry. I might have heard that standing at the parts counter next to the area where all the people are waiting for their vehicles.

I really didn't think a lot of people were smart enough to understand how much the parts cost vs labor.
Old 10-08-2012
I am Epic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Civicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trusted

Yes, drops of oil were on the timing belt. I think I was back in the timing belt stuff twice and the oil pan once, but I changed my timing belt 3 times with a new OEM one, the final time being after I changed the internal oil pump o-ring. I wasn't taking any chances. The belt was cheap considering how much I would have paid for labor every time I went back in to it. Well worth a new belt each time.
Lots of oil was on your timing belts? Or just few drops? Im really hoping to god its not my orings cause the last thing i need right now is a $600 repair job. Seriously.

I will be having the top timing cover off and checking for oil, once hat cover is off, can you see the oil pump and the orings from there? I plan on doing that and running the car with the timing cover off to see if it leaks

Last edited by Civicnoobie; 10-08-2012 at 11:57 PM.
Old 10-08-2012

Originally Posted by Civicnoobie
Lots of oil was on your timing belts? Or just few drops?
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/3...ml#post4619862

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/3...ml#post4619865
Old 10-09-2012

Lots of oil was on your timing belts? Or just few drops? Im really hoping to god its not my orings cause the last thing i need right now is a $600 repair job. Seriously.
What part of my post did I not make clear about maybe a drop or two of oil on one of the timing belts I changed?

If there is ANY oil at all on the timing belt, it should, without a doubt, be replaced.

I will be having the top timing cover off and checking for oil, once hat cover is off, can you see the oil pump and the orings from there? I plan on doing that and running the car with the timing cover off to see if it leaks
Are you serious? Have you not read through this entire thread? There is enough information in here to figure where you need to go. I would say you need to take it to a real mechanic at his point...dealer or local garage.

BTW, how is it you have 725 posts and such a negative rep?
Old 10-09-2012
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

do you really have to ask the last question lol
Old 10-09-2012
I am Epic

Civicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trusted

I was just asking, in hoping that mine is dry. HOPING.

Getting it looked at later today.
Old 10-10-2012
I am Epic

At the shop and i asked the mech about doing the orings too and he kept saying hes done hundreds of timng belts on these civics and never once has replaced the orings

Last edited by Civicnoobie; 10-10-2012 at 04:55 PM.
Old 10-10-2012

At the shop and i asked the mech about doing the orings too and he kept saying hes done hundreds of timng belts on these civics and never once has replaced the orings
What kind of help do you want? This reminds me of a term still used in the Navy today "Choose your rate(job), choose your fate".

In your case "Choose your mechanic, choose your cars fate"

If there's oil leaking in that area then obviously there's a leak. Either the valve cover, cam seal, crank seal, oil pan or internal o-ring on the oil pump.

Nobody can help you at this point accept you.

Good luck.
Old 10-10-2012
I am Epic

What kind of help do you want? This reminds me of a term still used in the Navy today "Choose your rate(job), choose your fate".

In your case "Choose your mechanic, choose your cars fate"

If there's oil leaking in that area then obviously there's a leak. Either the valve cover, cam seal, crank seal, oil pan or internal o-ring on the oil pump.

Nobody can help you at this point accept you.

Good luck.
He said the camseal was leaking, he gave it to me after and it was hard as a rock and part of the inside was completely ripped. He showed me it and the trail of oil it left, all the way to the bottom of the timing cover and even ripped the rubber lining of the cover But i was asking him about doing the oring too.
Old 10-10-2012

He said the camseal was leaking, he gave it to me after and it was hard as a rock and part of the inside was completely ripped. He showed me it and the trail of oil it left, all the way to the bottom of the timing cover and even ripped the rubber lining of the cover But i was asking him about doing the oring too.
So your leaks are gone?

That's good he replaced the cam seal, but if that was the condition of the cam seal, I'd be afraid of what condition those other seals I mentioned are in.

Personally, I would have had all those seals/gaskets replaced that I mentioned if you don't know they were ever replaced before, with the exception of the oil pan gasket and internal oil pump o-ring unless they were leaking after you replaced the valve cover, cam and crank seals.
Old 10-10-2012

This: https://www.civicforums.com/forums/p...47-post51.html

How many miles are on that engine? It's starting to sound like it may have more than the car itself does.
Old 10-10-2012

I see you are up to 5 brown spots now.
The following users liked this post:
Irishlumberjack (10-10-2022)
Old 10-10-2012
I am Epic

They just finished, replaced the cam and crank seals. Said the cam was leaking but crank was still in good shape
Old 10-10-2012

I see you are up to 5 brown spots now.
They kind of look red to me. Maybe I should think of them as brown, meaning the more brown spots you have the shi t tier your are.
Old 10-10-2012

They just finished, replaced the cam and crank seals. Said the cam was leaking but crank was still in good shape
You should keep taking it back there. I'm sure they love you.

Old 10-10-2012

EDIT: Holy cow, there are a bunch of these up now!

Last edited by ezone; 10-10-2012 at 07:06 PM. Reason: yep.
Old 10-10-2012

LMFAO. Customer sounds like many forum posts here.
Old 07-03-2013
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
scooty is on a distinguished road

Unfortunately, that second picture looks like there's oil above the back of the oil pan. I know what you're saying about it could be slinging oil up, but that looks almost exactly how mine looked like when it was the internal oil pump o-ring. That allen looking screw at the top on the second picture is actually the tensioning bolt for the oil pressure in the oil pump. The o-ring is pretty close to that. It looks like it's covered with oil.

The fact that the back area above the oil pan has oil tells me its that internal o-ring. It's hard for it to get slung where a lot of that oil is located.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but if I were a betting man, I'd say it was the internal oil pump o-ring. And based on how dry it looks above that allen, I would say it's not your oil pressure sensor or your valve cover gasket.

In fact the more I look at that picture, the more I'm convinced it's the internal o-ring.

If you decide to pursue the internal o-ring, I would replace the oil pan gasket, oil pick-up gasket, cam and crank seal, water pump (if you didn't replace it on the first timing belt change) and I would personally just do the timing belt again in case it soaked up a bunch of oil. JMHO

Feel free to ask as many questions as you want concerning this issue.

Good luck.
I'm going to need your help....

I finally got around to changing the oil pump seal and can't remove the oil pump from the block. I've removed all the bolts as well as the oil pick up tube. Is there a trick to doing this?

Also, which sealant did you use when installing the oil pump and the oil pan?
Old 08-21-2013
Registered!!

SESA207478 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Matt_75. I'm in a similar situation with my 2001 Honda Civic DX. I've replaced the valve cover gasket, cylinder head plug and oil pan gasket but I'm still seeing an oil leak coating the entire underside of the oil pan.

Before I replace the main seal gasket I wanted to replace the oil pump o-ring seal first. When doing this, should I replace any other oil pump gaskets or seals at the same time?

Below is a link to the Honda Civic oil pump drawing and parts.

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...-+OIL+STRAINER
Old 08-21-2013
Registered!!

Hi Scooty,

When removing the oil pump cover I'd recommend tapping the sides of it with a plastic headed hammer like this one. http://www.homedepot.com/p/URREA-13-...0#.UhTUaz-zvIc

For sealant I recommend using Honda Bond. It's a few more dollars then a typical silicone sealant but it's specific to high temperature engine seal sealant.
Old 08-21-2013

I'd replace piece #16, 17 and 3 in that drawing, piece #3 being the oil strainer gasket. If it was me, I'd put another new oil pan gasket on it as well. I have an EX so I used Honda ultra flange II to seal the pan because there is no gasket. I prefer it over Honda bond. Just personal preference.
Old 08-21-2013
Registered!!

Thanks Matt. I'll replace the gaskets and follow up with the results.
Old 01-21-2014
Registered!!

Berto is an unknown quantity at this point

Bringing this back from the dead. My Fiancee's car has similar symptoms and I think i'm going to have to tear into it.

My question to the guys that have repaired their own vehicles. When you pull the oil pump do you see the o-ring is torn?
Old 01-21-2014

Originally Posted by Berto
When you pull the oil pump do you see the o-ring is torn?
Torn is not the issue.
It is a rubber seal that is 10 years old or more, and has been through thousands of heating and cooling cycles.

It should be hardened, shrunk, shaped like the channel it's been sitting in (squared edges) and brittle, that's what old rubber seals do.

It's no longer pliable enough to do the job of sealing anymore.

It may or may not break when you take it apart or touch it.

Compare old to new, you should see a huge difference.

HTH

Quick Reply: Oil Pump Seal Leak?