Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

DIY timing belt or have mechanic do it??

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jeffconnell12 is an unknown quantity at this point
DIY timing belt or have mechanic do it??

Hey guys, my cars a little over 100k miles, and ive got some squealing come from one of my belts im going to see which one but regardless this made me notice my timing belt is up for a change, i like to learn new things but am by no means a mechanic, i have a fairly good stack of tools, jack, stands etc, and am wondering whether you recommend me follow one of the DIY's on the site or suck up about 400 bucks and bring it to a mechanic? thanks.
Old 02-01-2011
TRUST me! I'm Idiot Proof!

BobDobolina has a spectacular aura aboutBobDobolina has a spectacular aura aboutBobDobolina has a spectacular aura about
Re: DIY timing belt or have mechanic do it??

Do it man!! If your going to have some jack@ss monkeying around with your car, may as well be you, right?!
Just follow this excellent write up, and dont cut corners.
I did mine over the weekend, last week.
Good luck!!
Old 02-01-2011
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

Dooooo it... Make sure you buy the crank pulley holder tool or you will find yourself stuck! but its doable. It's actually an easy job if you take your time.
Old 02-01-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

I've been thinking about whether to DIY my timing belt or take it to the dealership for awhile - I decided to take it to the dealership, because it takes a good 2 days to complete if you've never done it before.

I'd rather work an extra two days over the weekend to cover the cost and let the mechanic install my timing belt.
Old 02-14-2011
Registered!!

creaker2 will become famous soon enough

I'm the guy who wrote the DIY listed above. It will take 2 full days to do the job. I strongly recommend that you have a helper to remove and replace the crankshaft bolt. Removing the bolt is the most difficult part of the job and it's best to have a helper. The cost for this job in northern California is closer to $700. Just remember that the civic has an "interference fit engine" so you will damage the valves if you get it wrong.
Old 02-14-2011
Registered!!

mrchowmein has a spectacular aura aboutmrchowmein has a spectacular aura aboutmrchowmein has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by creaker2
I'm the guy who wrote the DIY listed above. It will take 2 full days to do the job. I strongly recommend that you have a helper to remove and replace the crankshaft bolt. Removing the bolt is the most difficult part of the job and it's best to have a helper. The cost for this job in northern California is closer to $700. Just remember that the civic has an "interference fit engine" so you will damage the valves if you get it wrong.
wow 700. i went to a honda shop in california, quoted 400 with water pump. took them 3 hours to do it.

my recommendation for OP is if you have the time and help do it yourself.
Old 02-14-2011
EM2ti

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
maxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of light

I did mine about 6 or 8 months ago. I consider myself a fairly decent mechanic. I've performed all of my own mods. From suspension, exhaust, engine work, valve jobs, port/polish, welding, even mounting my own tires, etc, etc. I've got a lift at my disposal, an air compressor and all the tools you can shake a stick at(I'm not rich, I have a Marine Corp DIY Garage nearby). I even have 2 or 3 ASE Certified mechanics to ask questions or assist if I need help. This still took me 2 solid days to do. I can probably do it in less than a day now that I know what's involved. Remember how long it took you to do your first brake job? It's a snap now, right? Multiply that by 20. That's a timing belt.

I still had to do my homework. Watched a few youtube videos on how to remove that nut, buying the special tool, getting all the materials, gaskets, hondabond, etc.

Yes, if I can do it, anyone can. BUT... If you have never done it before be prepared for one of the biggest pain in the A _ _ jobs you can ever do on a car. I've swapped an entire engine in less time than it took to do my first timing belt. Getting in cramped spaces, busting knuckles, loosening and removing things that make no sense whatsoever, etc. If this is your daily driver, you are also under the gun to get it working before Monday too.

It's a daunting task. So get ready to commit - ALL IN or go home. Or to the mechanic, in this case. Good luck.

Last edited by maxtierney; 02-14-2011 at 07:35 PM.