Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2005 DX O2 Sensor issues - Please help!

Old 01-21-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MichaelEB is an unknown quantity at this point
2005 DX O2 Sensor issues - Please help!

Recently, my Civic's CEL came on and I took it to Autozone to pull the codes. They told me that both O2 sensors needed replacing and quoted $160 each. I discovered that it would be fairly easy to replace them myself, so I decided to go comparison shopping.

My Civic is a DX 4-door automatic transmission (with A/C.) It came with a 4-wire Denso DU2 192400-1160 12F10 for the upstream sensor, and a 4-wire NTK OHX:::606-H3 for downstream.

An AutoPartsWarehouse.com operator sold me an ARBH960904 for upstream, which is listed on their site as an upstream sensor, but in small type says it's downstream for my car and it didn't fit. For downstream they sold me an ARBI960902, which seems to be working fine as far as I can tell. I returned the incorrect upstream sensor, and another APW operator sold me an ARBH960907 as an exact fit OE part. When installed, I got a new code: P2252 Air/Fuel Ratio (A/F) Sensor (Sensor 1) AFS- Line Low Voltage. Googling indicates that this code results if a narrow band sensor is installed and a wide band sensor is needed.

Could anyone direct me to a reasonably-priced solution to my upstream sensor? Cost seems to vary from $112 to $260, and I get both 2- and 4-wire results, and there's never a mention of wide band or narrow band. This is all getting confusing and any help is appreciated!

Michael

Last edited by MichaelEB; 01-21-2011 at 10:30 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 01-23-2011
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of
Re: 2005 DX O2 Sensor issues - Please help!

Sorry bro, you have the expensive wide-band ones.

Upstream: http://www.hondapartscheap.com/south...t=0&quantity=0

Downstream: http://www.hondapartscheap.com/south...t=0&quantity=0
Old 01-26-2011
Registered!!

Thanks for the confirmation. Of course I own the one year they did this lol. The upstream sensor on my car is as you said the expensive wide band Air/Fuel Ratio Sensor (not really an o2 sensor as most people refer to it.)

I've done some more research, and it it sounds like maybe the downstream sensor is just a regular o2 sensor and I should be fine with the one I have. Can anyone confirm this? Right now my car is only complaining about the upstream sensor (which I removed and replaced with the original worn out one.)

Michael

Last edited by MichaelEB; 01-26-2011 at 04:55 PM.
Old 01-26-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang

As far as our car's O2 sensors are concerned, our cars are very picky and want the OEM honda sensors, not the off-brand ones which throw the voltage code every now and again. You dont have to buy them from honda because they are just a name brand unit honda uses. Its been a while since I read the thread (like maybe 2 years) but GEARBOX posted up about the O2 sensors and what brand they really are- pretty much took the mystery out of them. Dig the thread up and you'll have your answers.
Old 01-27-2011
TRUST me! I'm Idiot Proof!

BobDobolina has a spectacular aura aboutBobDobolina has a spectacular aura aboutBobDobolina has a spectacular aura about

I just got a freakin code too, RIGHT before im about to change out my T belt this weekend. Could I just wrench this damn thing off, hose it with break cleaner...maybe some Q tip action in there...would just cleaning it do the trick? I remember my EGR valve was throwin codes on my old mazda, I just had to yank the thing off and give it a good cleaning. Carbon buildup. Exhaust/emissions crap. Same idea here?
Old 01-27-2011
Registered!!

On another forum, somebody was talking about trying to clean a sensor by heating it up with a torch and dipping it in cold water. I'm not sure this is a good idea lol. My old sensors are clearly dirty inside and out; it almost resembles rust. It doesn't come off on my fingers or a towel, so I suspect it'd be an awful lot of effort and probably wouldn't work very well.

Last edited by MichaelEB; 01-27-2011 at 10:32 PM.
Old 01-28-2011

BobDobolina has a spectacular aura aboutBobDobolina has a spectacular aura aboutBobDobolina has a spectacular aura about

Maybe...the Haynes manual says you cant clean it...but im not ready to shell out what, like $200 something for a friggin sensor.
Old 01-31-2011
Registered!!

civydcex has a spectacular aura aboutcivydcex has a spectacular aura aboutcivydcex has a spectacular aura about

Just out of curiosity does anyone with these o2 issues have a aftermarket audio system with a amp installed? I was throwing a o2 code every now and then and would go away. Come to find out it was my kicker tx750 amp over volataging the car and the result was a o2 code that would come and go. It only seemed to happen when i was ideling in my drive way blasting the system. Just some food for thought!!!
Old 01-31-2011

Yeah that is weird...
I dont have an amp or any different/additional electrical components than from stock.
And ive been searching about what to do...one post I read said to clear it twice after trying to fix it, then just suck it up an replace if it comes back a third time.

But it IS just emissions, right?...

A fix-before-inspection item?
Old 01-31-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

non, ecu will go crazy and mileage will drop, less power if it's primary sensor.
Old 02-01-2011

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
non, ecu will go crazy and mileage will drop, less power if it's primary sensor.

Thanks man, id better get crackin on that!
I thought it was just something that turned on/used only on cold starts to help the engine get into a closed loop, or something to that nature....more specifically the P0135 code, saying 02 sensor heater malfunction...
Old 02-02-2011
Registered!!

civydcex has a spectacular aura aboutcivydcex has a spectacular aura aboutcivydcex has a spectacular aura about

Def something you wanna fix asap. Unless you like crappy gas milage and a car that runs like my morning after drinking dumps!!
Old 02-06-2011
Registered!!

Argh! Now I'm getting a new code.

After I got the voltage code, I immediately removed the incorrect sensor and put the old sensor back, just hoping the light would stay off this time. It didn't, and out of curiosity I checked the code again. It now reads P0135 O2 Sensor Heater Circuit Bank 1 Sensor 1. What's going on?!

Could the incorrect part have damaged the heater circuit? Could Auto Zone have told me the wrong code to begin with? Could this be a false code? And how difficult/expensive is it to replace a heater circuit? This was supposed to be an easy fix and save me money but I'm about ready to take the car to a dealer. Any new suggestions before I throw in the towel?

Michael
Old 02-06-2011
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,144 Likes on 799 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

the P0135 code will throw if you forget to plug the sensor in, or if it's a loose connection. Reset the code, unplug the sensor, plug it back in, and make sure it's connected properly and wait to see if it comes back.

If it does, it's prolly the sensor.. again..
Old 03-07-2011
Registered!!

I thought I should post an update to my 2005 Civic DX oxygen sensor issue. Obviously, there are other choices, but this is what worked for me:

For the upstream air/fuel ratio sensor, I purchased a Bosch 13680 #15472 (Wideband A/F Sensor - OE Type - Exact Fit 4 Wire Upstream Sensor) for about $130 (it could have been less if I'd shopped around more.)

For the downstream oxygen sensor, I purchased an ARBI960902 (Oxygen Sensor - OE replacement, 4-wire) for around $40.

I also got an O2 sensor socket for use with a socket wrench and extender. It was easy to access and remove the A/F sensor. The O2 sensor was a little more difficult simply because I had to jack the car up and get underneath.

Figuring out the plugs took a little time because they were kind of stiff, hard plastic. There's a little 'button' on the side to squeeze, then you pry the opposite plug off with a flat head screwdriver or pliers. A similar button on the other side of the plug allows it to be removed from the bracket attached to the engine. The only other issue I had was that the wires were a bit long, so I used zip ties to keep them away from the fans and the engine. Also, I didn't detach the battery to reset the computer, I just waited, and after about 50 miles the check engine light went out.

AutoPartsWarehouse.com sold me a few parts which ended up being incompatible with my car even though their website said they were an exact fit, and their return process is a hassle. I don't think I'd buy from them again unless I know exactly what I need. RockAuto.com had a straightforward website, and I didn't have to return anything.

Michael

Last edited by MichaelEB; 03-07-2011 at 09:09 PM.
Old 03-08-2011
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

+1 for rockauto. I've had stuff arrive 2 days after I ordered it.
Old 04-23-2011
Registered!!

NKode is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

I've been getting this same P0134 code now ever since I installed a Bosch BS15710 O2 sensor. Before this, I was getting a P0135 on my scanner. The original upstream sensor was a Denso 192400-1160.

After reading various posts, is my new code a result of my upstream sensor not being an A/F sensor? Also, of the two codes being pushed on my scanner, which is more damaging to the CC?

Just to put myself at ease http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...A139T64LTDCRO8 Is this the sensor I should have installed into my upstream port?

I would appreciate any help given. Thanks,
NK
Old 07-26-2014
Registered!!

jasondong is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi.
I just read your message today since I got same problem.
May I know how you solved this P0134?
Old 07-26-2014
*watches temp gauge like a hawkboss* :D

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
kinakoes2 is a glorious beacon of lightkinakoes2 is a glorious beacon of lightkinakoes2 is a glorious beacon of lightkinakoes2 is a glorious beacon of lightkinakoes2 is a glorious beacon of light

Expecting an answer from a 3-yo thread?

Never use the aftermarket brands for O2 sensors on CIvics. Use NTK or Denso, whichever is specified.